Notices

High protein but low fat?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

I'd have to say go for whole eggs. Don't be scared of the cholesterol (unless you're prone to high c) because your body needs it to make more testosterone, which is the hormone that promotes muscle growth. I've been going through a dozen eggs a week for the last six months or so and although my weight has stayed about the same, I've packed on a lot more muscle while dropping half a pant size.

Fish and goat are also really lean protein sources. Goat is even leaner than chicken and IMO has a better texture than chicken or beef and soaks up marinade really well, so it ends up being a really tasty high protein dish as well.

For those of you using protein shakes, I'd recommend Trader Joes vanilla whey. It's got pretty significant amounts of vitamins and minerals so you can safely sub them for meals every now and then.

Good luck to everyone on your own journeys.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Also, this may seem counter-intuitive but I've taken to drinking a pint of whole milk (that's right, full fat) immediately after my workout. I do high-intensity cardio and heavy weights so I try to pack in a lot of clean calories as long as my muscles are starving for some... If you don't your body tries to cannibalize calories from within. Usually this means breaking down other muscles that you haven't used in a while, rather than body fat. The vitamin D in milk helps too, because it directly promotes protein synthesis in muscle.

So what's all that fat doing? Basically acting as a fuse to help light up the fat that's sitting around in your body. The only complaint I have with milk is the relatively high carbs, which could lead to water retention. Still, it's way less disgusting than that Muscle Milk stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

HTML Code:
I've packed on a lot more muscle while dropping half a pant size.
AWESOME! Congratulations! I'm with you on the eggs. They're very healthy although I give most of the yolks to my dogs to keep my fat grams down. They love 'em.
When I was doing P90 I made my own recovery drinks with dairy products, too. I found that I could make them with fewer calories, less processed food stuff, better tasting and with the same macronutrient content as the expensive brands. I found soy protein and whey very cheap in the bulk bins at the health food store and would add a scoop when I used fruit juice for the base.

I've checked this thread several times to see what else I can use, too. Very good topic/thread.
I wanted to let you know that I've tried a couple of different brands of the Greek yogurt since posting about it and the only one that I like is the organic Stonyfield brand that I buy at WalMart. None of the other brands have the same flavor (they're too tangy and tart) and none have as much of the smooth creamy texture that makes it so rich.

My lastest find is home cooked beans. Compared to canned they're completely different tasting. I'm posting the recipe and macronutrients for great northern beans but I've use the same recipe for lima, pinto & red beans, too.

4 ounces chopped turkey bacon= 178.5 calories; 15.3 grams fat; 5.1 grams carb; 15.3 grams protein.

1 cup chopped onion=64 calories; 0.16 grams fat’ 14.9 grams carbs; 1.8 grams protein

5 cloves garlic=22.4 calories, 5 grams carbs; .95 grams protein

2 beef Knorr bullion cubes 20 calories

1 pound bag of Northern beans=910 calories; 286 carbs; 208 grams fiber; 104 grams protein

1 TBS canola oil = (14 grams) 124 calories; 14 grams fat
A couple of shakes of salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme & oregano. I like the flavor of using more sage and rosemary than the others.

Clean and rinse 1-pound bag of Great Northern Beans. Soak beans over night. In the morning, drain the beans and set aside. Brown the bacon, onions and garlic in the oil. Add 2 quarts of water and de-glaze the bottom of the pan before adding the beans and herbs. Then cover and pressure-cook for 1 hour. Depressurize and simmer uncovered until the most of beans are falling apart (makes a thick consistency) and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours in high altitude (it may be ready to go as is if you live near sea-level). Makes 11.5 cups.

If you don't live in a mountainous area you don't need the pressure cooker-just simmer uncovered or partially covered for a couple of hours. You only have to use oil if you're using a pressure cooker so if not, just use a couple of TBS of water to keep the turkey bacon from sticking to reduce the total fat grams even more. Although the bacon and onions won't brown as much with water as with oil, they taste the same when used in recipes.

MACRONUTRIENTS PER CUP (with 11.5 cups per batch):
CALORIES 115
FAT 3g
CARBS 27g
PROTEIN 9.7g

This is super filling, a stick-to-your-ribs meal. These beans are smokey tasting from the bacon and rich and hearty from the bullion cubes. They're excellent to make chili with and if you cook them until they're at that mushy stage they make very tasty refried beans to use in Mexican and southwest dishes.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KimmyRocks
think about all the herbivores in the animal world. Their bodies build muscle without protein shakes. Your body can, too.
The veterinary nerd in me has to point out, herbivores get their protein (and most of their calories) from the bacteria in their guts feasting on the cellulose in the plant material they eat, not from the plant material itself. That's why they have 4 chambered stomachs.

That being said, I do agree protein shakes are unnecessary and most are full of sweeteners we really don't need. But I do also use them as a matter of convenience, the Special K prepackaged ones. More sugar than I want, but I don't always have time at work to eat properly or on time, so they keep me from starving until I get home.

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 03-05-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

I hardly ever do protein shakes for the same reasons listed above: too much unnecessary fillers and junk, sweetners, gums, weird binding agents, etc. If I do I blend my own, and I almost never do that because I hate cleaning out the blender.

Mostly I get a lot of protein from the way I eat: lots of dairy, eggs, and meat, LOTS of veggies (I try to cook with a different one every couple days), a few fruits here and there, and keep grains to a minimum, except for oatmeal in the morning for energy. I get all the protein I need, all of my vitamins and minerals, lots of plant nutrients, and next to no starch, which causes water retention and makes me look "fuller" rather than "leaner."
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

I'm noticing that a lot of people are mentioning protein shakes. My only experience with such a thing is from when I was in my early 20's and trying to get strong for a certain career move in the Air Force (I'm female, small, and have always been weak for my size.) I started strength training and reading muscle magazines. I got this stuff called Joe Weider protein powder, which you were supposed to mix with orange juice. I remember that it smelled like a mountain of moldy toenail filings, and it gave the juice a thick, slimy texture. It was so revolting, I just couldn't bear it. The people in the ads were always smiling as they drank it, as if wasn't horrible, but I can't imagine that they truly liked it.

But nowadays, regular people talk about drinking protein shakes as if they are palatable. Is a modern-day protein shake something significantly different from the old Joe Weider powdered toenail filings?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

I use the Special K prepackaged protein shakes, and to me they taste quite good. I'm not trying to body build or anything, and I don't use them every day. They're a convenience thing for when I can't manage to eat on time.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default High Protein Search

Check out this web site for protein levels in food.

High Protein Foods

Here's to a long lasting healthy lifestyle change!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elderwanda
I'm noticing that a lot of people are mentioning protein shakes. My only experience with such a thing is from when I was in my early 20's and trying to get strong for a certain career move in the Air Force (I'm female, small, and have always been weak for my size.) I started strength training and reading muscle magazines. I got this stuff called Joe Weider protein powder, which you were supposed to mix with orange juice. I remember that it smelled like a mountain of moldy toenail filings, and it gave the juice a thick, slimy texture. It was so revolting, I just couldn't bear it. The people in the ads were always smiling as they drank it, as if wasn't horrible, but I can't imagine that they truly liked it.

But nowadays, regular people talk about drinking protein shakes as if they are palatable. Is a modern-day protein shake something significantly different from the old Joe Weider powdered toenail filings?
At the larger health food stores they sell 1 serving sized packets so you can try them before you invest in the big canisters. Only a couple of brands didn't use sugar of one type or another & apparently the Stevia sweetner costs more or something b/c they were pretty pricey. Some of them actually tasted very sweet like strawberry, vanilla & chocolate milk shakes, so yeah, they must be very different than the old kind....moldy toenail filings LOL...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Try some lean cut steaks with egg whites and a tall glass of fat-free milk for breakfast. After a day of working out, a bit of non-fat/lowfat cottage cheese has slow digesting proteins that will help you build muscle while you rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.