Notices

Sodium & fat loss

Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sodium & fat loss

I've noticed that since I've tried to up my protein % that my sodium has skyrocketed. Tuna - high, deli meats - high, egg whites & veggies ( I add salt because I like it!), pickles - very high but low in cals! I'm in my late 20s and my blood pressure is low (lower than 120/80). I know all of this excess sodium is not good for me. I also know i am retaining water weight because of it. I am fine with this since my goal is to lose fat not water. My question is: will excess sodium impede fat loss. I figure once I get to my goal weight, it will be easier to lower the sodium because I dont plan on eating so much high sodium protein and pickles!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

I have wondered this as well. My bp is pretty decent for how overweight I am--not above normal anyway--and I do like a lot of salty foods.

I would be most interested in any feedback you get!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

The excess salt is not likely to harm your fat loss efforts, and it seems like your blood pressure is naturally low. Sodium is a concern for people with diabetes and heart disease because it retains fluid and usually raises blood pressure. If you're still concerned about sodium switch from high-processed deli meats (usually cured or otherwise preserved to increase shelf life) to minimally-handled meat. If you're using it in sandwiches get uncured bacon or chicken breasts, which conveniently fit inside a sandwich. I also get my canned tuna in olive oil instead of brine, that keeps my salt total down as well.

Good luck!

-Nik
Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
The excess salt is not likely to harm your fat loss efforts, and it seems like your blood pressure is naturally low. Sodium is a concern for people with diabetes and heart disease because it retains fluid and usually raises blood pressure. If you're still concerned about sodium switch from high-processed deli meats (usually cured or otherwise preserved to increase shelf life) to minimally-handled meat. If you're using it in sandwiches get uncured bacon or chicken breasts, which conveniently fit inside a sandwich. I also get my canned tuna in olive oil instead of brine, that keeps my salt total down as well.

Good luck!

-Nik

That's totally a new one on me. The next case of tuna that I buy will be oil-packed! Thanks for that advice!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Like Nik said, find meats with less sodium. I've found the deli with fresh-cut meats usually have lower salt contents than the stuff pre-packaged on the shelf. I also cut sodium in the places I can; my carbs are low sodium and I add very little salt to any dishes. But overall, if what you're doing isn't holding you back, you can perfect the diet as you go.

I've often found sugars hold back my diet. I don't eat a lot of processed things with sugar in it, but even fruits have natural sugars. I'm not sure how much fruit you're eating, but maybe try varying those foods too.

You could try eating more eggs. I hard-boil some and keep them handy all week for quick snacks. You could also try nuts (unsalted of course), peanut butter, even low fat dairy products can give you protein (cottage cheese, yogurt). Find what works for you, and watch the sodium levels!