FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Low Low Carbs (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/864-low-low-carbs.html)

kristinaw13 04-15-2010 05:58 AM

Low Low Carbs

Any suggestions on foods to focus on eating when trying to stay below 40 net carbs a day? Almost everything I enjoy is full of carbs!

tandoorichicken 04-15-2010 09:10 AM

Meat and lots of veggies! Arugula, cucumbers, avocados, radishes, turnips, asparagus, bell peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, and beets all have less than 4g of carbs per 50-g serving. Further, they're all high in fiber (and avocados are high in mono fat), so they keep you satiated for longer periods of time. Most meat I eat is bacon, grass-fed beef or bison, turkey, chicken, and different types of fish. Best part is, you get to keep all your essential vitamins and minerals and fiber, but without the carb bloat. It's great.

Good luck!

-Nik

pbright120 04-15-2010 11:09 AM

Hard boiled eggs are a great snack. and bacon...and meat in general. Munching on a wedge of homemade (not my home) salami as I type this... Like avocados as well.

Salads are great (takes a lot of veggies to get 40 grams) with oil and a tad of vinegar.

Nuts and fruit can sneak up on ya a bit.

Why under 40?

kristinaw13 04-15-2010 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! This will keep me fed for a while :-)

I am thinking under 40 because I had a metabolic test done and it turns out I am a "sugar burner" and am barely burning fat. So, I guess, I have to eat way less carbs for 7 days to u-turn my body into burning fat.

The last three days I have had about 150-200 grams of carbs, which just seems monstrous.... it's worth a shot I guess.

Thanks again! Salami is my favorite :-)

RunbikeSki 04-15-2010 02:01 PM

It is tough to not eat carbs. If you want a little bread try the "thin rolls" about 100 cals each (I don't have the carbs on hand, but most breads are 100 cals per slice.) Or "thin bagles". They are mostly crust, but since that's the best part, as far as I am concerned, they are a good substitute for the full sized versions.

Mammac5 04-16-2010 07:43 AM

Hey, Kristinaw13

I've been low-carbing, too. I lost 90 lbs eating LC about 5 years ago but recently gained back 15 while in nursing school (I hear that happens to the best of us!) so I got back on the wagon 11 days ago. I've been eating ~ 20 net carbs/day and I've lost 5 lbs so far.

If you like eggs, meat, cheese and veggies it's not too hard to do.

A typical day might look like:

2 eggs with cheese and a sausage patty
coffee with cream

Low-carb yogurt (I found a great one at Kroger)

3 cups romaine lettuce
1 cup of chopped veggies (tomato, peppers, onions, cucumbers, whatever you have on hand)
3 or 4 ounce grilled chicken breast
Ranch dressing

String cheese
1 oz of roasted almonds

Grilled turkey burger patty (no bun)
Steamed broccoli
Small side salad

Trust me...with all that food, you'll be too stuffed to think about eating bread! The first 4 days or so are tough and you just have to muscle through them. I found that I really needed to lie down for a nap in the afternoon on day 3 or 4 for instance. But then you'll get an energy surge and you just won't feel very hungry or "snacky."

kristinaw13 04-16-2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mammac5 (Post 8669)
Hey, Kristinaw13

I've been low-carbing, too. I lost 90 lbs eating LC about 5 years ago but recently gained back 15 while in nursing school (I hear that happens to the best of us!) so I got back on the wagon 11 days ago. I've been eating ~ 20 net carbs/day and I've lost 5 lbs so far.

coffee with cream

3 cups romaine lettuce
1 cup of chopped veggies (tomato, peppers, onions, cucumbers, whatever you have on hand)
Ranch dressing

String cheese
1 oz of roasted almonds

Steamed broccoli
Small side salad

Trust me...with all that food, you'll be too stuffed to think about eating bread! The first 4 days or so are tough and you just have to muscle through them. I found that I really needed to lie down for a nap in the afternoon on day 3 or 4 for instance. But then you'll get an energy surge and you just won't feel very hungry or "snacky."

Wow! This is great, Thanks! Grocery store, here I come.

farahb7 04-22-2010 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mammac5 (Post 8669)
Hey, Kristinaw13

coffee with cream

3 cups romaine lettuce
Ranch dressing

String cheese
1 oz of roasted almonds

Steamed broccoli
Small side salad

wow! I have been looking for some low carb food too, was hard for me to put together what could be considred as breakfast, lunch or dinner. please tell us more about your typical daily meals. Thank You!!!!

Lisacrull 06-29-2010 05:38 PM

I like to eat fresh veggies. They are filling too. Fish (broiled or baked) w/o breading is great. Lean meats are also good choices. When I purchase beef it is always the leanest cut that I can find. It may be more expensive but for me it's worth it. Yogurt is a great food if you like it too! I find the greek yogurt to be more filling and it has double the protien. A very small baked potatoe is nutritional as well as squash. They have carbs but your body breaks them down better than corn on the cob as an example. A good rule of thumb that works for me is to stay away from white sugar, the body doesn't process it as well. Whole grain breads, veggie and whole wheat wraps are much better for us and lower in carbs.
Sorry for the lenghty reply. I hope this helps you!
Lisa