Notices

Need some quick ideas for a kid

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Need some quick ideas for a kid

Hi, everyone. My young daughter is now adopting a healthy eating lifestyle, and I need some ideas on healthy items that are easily packed into a lunch box that won't spoil, turn brown, etc. (that would be very unappealing to a kid). She likes fruits, but grapes and oranges (our usual) are not in season and becoming very expensive. Apples turn brown, so she wouldn't eat those. And I did put some lemon juice on them once, but then they became sour. (Do they still make "fruit fresh" to keep fruits from spoiling? Where would you find that in a store?) She doesn't like cheese sticks. I've been packing celery and peanut butter, and she seems to like that. I've also been packing popcorn instead of chips. Given the types of things she has been eating, can you think of other good ideas that may appeal to her that won't cost an arm and a leg? She is usually short on her fruits/vegetables, but my brain is drawing a blank as I'm sitting here trying to write my grocery list.

And while we're here, I also need some after school and bedtime snack ideas that are both healthy and filling but still seem something like a treat. Any help and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

I cut up apple slices, put them in a ziplock bag with come cinnamon, shake it up and refrigerate overnight for my son's lunch. They only look brown from the cinnamon and they taste delish! I take them in my lunch too! Crackers or baby carrots and hummus, baked tortillas and salsa, homemade healthy muffins, homemade granola bars, cucumber slices, hard boiled eggs..these are some things my son will eat.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by jenmyra
I cut up apple slices, put them in a ziplock bag with come cinnamon, shake it up and refrigerate overnight for my son's lunch. They only look brown from the cinnamon and they taste delish! I take them in my lunch too! Crackers or baby carrots and hummus, baked tortillas and salsa, homemade healthy muffins, homemade granola bars, cucumber slices, hard boiled eggs..these are some things my son will eat.
You have some really good ideas here. How much cinnamon do you use for how much of an apple? whole? Half? I bet it would taste good, too, with cinnamon mixed with Stevia. I forgot, she does love cucumbers, too. Eggs are a good idea also. We made home made granola bars about a week ago, and they were sinfully delicious. They didn't make it until the next day's lunch. lol They were gone that night. Maybe will have to make those again, but keep them for her lunch. Great ideas! Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

5 Healthy DIY Bento Box Lunches - iVillage

If you google 'Bento box,' you'll find a lot of great ideas.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

I cut up 2 apples and just sprinkle in the cinnamon...maybe 1.5 - 2 teaspoons? Another good idea is baked oatmeal or breakfast cookies. I often buy whole grain flat bread and make a healthy mini pizza the night before. I just cut it up into pizza "fingers" and he can nibble as he likes. My son's school is nut free so peanut butter is out, and I refuse to give him processed meat, so it can be hard to think of lunch ideas. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

My kids and grandkids love these <3

ENERGY CAKES
( KIDS RECIPE)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1/4 cup honey

Mix all ingredients well. Can be rolled into balls, logs, pancake shapes, etc. Use your imagination! Can be rolled in coconut, crushed cereal, tiny chocolate chips, or nuts. The more its handled and worked with the better. Very easy to make and nutritious too!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa, somewhere I saw that if you cut an apple with an apple slicer (one with the corer in the centre) about 3/4 of the way down and then wrap it they don't turn brown.

Wraps are a good choice. You can cut them in half or 1/4. Does she like soup? It can be put in a thermos.
Jenn
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

I heard club soda on apple slices keeps them from going brown but have never tried it.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Bananas, Carrot sticks (cut from whole carrots, they just taste better to me), sugar or sweet peas, radishes, raw cauliflower, and raw brocolli. Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein either on their own or sliced with salad greens (just pack any dressing in a seperate container or the greens get soggy).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

My boyfriend has recently joined me in healthier eating. He's a 22-year-old guy and that's practically the same as being a child. So here are a few things he eats to cut out junk food:

-He had a real thing for chips and it was difficult to cut them out of his diet, but as he started to really enjoy cooking with Kale he began making Kale Chips! And they're actually really good! Just bake some Kale leaves in the oven with a little olive oil and seasonings (salt, pepper, spices, vinegar if you like- I like garlic salt/powder best). They bake for about 10-15 minutes.

-Stir fry. It's super easy. He does it all the time. Kale, spinach, broccoli, red peppers, asparagus, onions, roasted garlic; mix any variety of vegetables with olive oil and low-fat alfredo sauce, or just throw in slices of cheese and spices to make your own sauce. (He likes to buy hunks of low-fat pepper jack, slice them up and put them in). Maybe throw in some whole-wheat pasta. She can heat it up in the cafeteria if there's a microwave at her school.

-Pomegranates! The seeds are super fun to just sit and much on- better than chips, fries, or popcorn. Buy the ones that are heavy with taut skin. Most produce sections have pamphlets that show you how to open them and get the seeds out. It's pretty easy.

-Fresh fruit sorbet! You can even make your own. Most of them don't have too much added sugar. It's better than ice-cream or even sherbet! I guess this isn't a packed-lunch food but good for home!

-Veggie nuggets! Like chicken nuggets but filled with broccoli, spinach, peppers, sometimes onions, and other veggies. You can buy them in frozen foods. Another one that's better for home

-Plain Greek Yogurt and fruit. Buy large plain/vanilla tubs and dice up some fresh fruit or even use pomegranate seeds! It's fun to make and full of protein! Put the yogurt and fruit in separate Tupperware tubs and let her mix it.

-Home-made pizza on pita bread or with whole-grain dough balls. Use real tomato juice/paste (not pizza sauce/mozzarella sauce)- not from concentrate, real low-fat cheese, and topped with sliced tomatoes, onions, other veggies! You can eat it cold too!

-Toasted whole-grain bagel sandwiches. Put practically anything healthy on a whole-grain bagel and it's so much more fun and a toasted bagel is less likely to turn soggy.

SHORT VERSION:
-Kale Chips! (Replacing potato chips)
-Veggie Stir Fry!
-Pomegranate Seeds!
-Fresh Fruit Sorbet!
-Veggie Nuggets!
-Greek Yogurt!
-Home-made Pizza!
-Bagel Sandwiches!

Not all of these are easy for lunch-packing but the Kale chips are really worth a shot. And kudos for starting her young! I wish I'd been smarter as a young child.