FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   im fed up with salads (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/8509-im-fed-up-salads.html)

seoidin55 10-30-2012 06:53 AM

im fed up with salads

Hi everyone, I bring my lunch into work everyday but im really getting fed up eating salads. has anyone got any other ideas, im going to start making soup but need more ideas. I have a mircowave and a small toaster oven available to me at work and im really trying to loose weight so need healthy things.
thanks for reading :)

rpmcduff 10-30-2012 06:59 AM

My lunches are usually lean meat (leftovers from the night before) like chicken, beef, Pork or fish with left over veggies and some fruit. Depending on the time of year the fruit is usually Apples, Oranges or Bananas. If I don't have any leftovers veggies I may have 2 pieces of fruit.

Kathy13118 10-30-2012 02:50 PM

You can stuff that salad in a pita. Or roll it up in flatbread.

lcriswell0421 10-30-2012 08:02 PM

You could take the things to make a sort of quesadilla in the microwave. Take a small fajita sized flour tortilla (whole wheat and/or low carb if you are worried about that), 1/4 c shredded cheese, 1 or 2 oz lean meat, and a little salsa. Lay the tortilla flat, top it with the cheese and meat, nuke it for about 35-40 seconds until the cheese melts, then garnish with salsa. Fold it in half and enjoy! Depending on how much meat you have, how thick it is, etc., you might heat that up mostly first and then put together your tortilla for nuking so the meat isn't too cold.

Lisa

frenchhen3 10-31-2012 01:14 AM

At home, Pound out and cook up some 3 ounce portions of chicken breast, it should take 5 minutes to cook them if they are pounded out nice and thin. Do enough for the week, and keep them in the fridge. Then take one out each day and take it to work and put it on either a couple of high fiber bread slices or a high fiber english muffin something of that sort, with some lettuce or tomato or both! maybe a little mustard or something on the bread? Chunk up some apples, or oranges, maybe some carrots or broccoli, something crunchy to eat on the side! Pickles? That would be my choice!

emersonkelly 10-31-2012 08:54 PM

Practice to eat green salads, decorate the salad with beans, fruit or croutons.......this keeps you healthy and increases intake of iron, fiber, vitamin C and folic acid!!:)

jenmyra 10-31-2012 11:44 PM

I have started to make large batches of things like chili or stew on the weekend and then freezing in it individual portions. Then I can just grab one to bring to work. I also make a batch of homemade granola bars every weekend that are filling and far more nutritious then what you buy at the grocery store. It is a bit more work on the weekends but it saves a lot of work through the week and prevents me from cheating, which is what I would do if I just brought salad or a boring sandwich.

iDoVooDoo 11-01-2012 01:47 AM

Hate Salads

I get sick of salads really fast. Found this website with "to die for" recipes. I have tried a few and they are filling and scrumptious.

(????) ?

tllevitt 11-02-2012 02:39 PM

I love Japanese Bento boxes because they encourage you to take a good variety of foods and usually take up less space than a regular lunch box. I'm looking into Laptop Lunches' Bento-ware. The boxes have compartments that are measured out for fruit/veggie, grains, proteins, and dairy. If you Google them or DIY bento you'll see the variety of lunches you can put together.

Lateda14 11-07-2012 01:51 PM

Lunches are definitely the hardest meal for me. I'm a vegan, so that's an additional challenge.

Try this idea to mix it up:
Place a bed of salad (I like arugula) on some healthy chips (I use flax seed chips), and then add a spoonful of whole-grain rice & quinoa, a spoonful of black beans, and a strip or two of tempeh on top.

Another thing I like to do for lunch is burritos. They are easy to make and pack, and are a good way for vegans to pack in a punch with proteins, grains, and greens. I also use pita bread and hummus a lot.

Good luck! :)