Notices

Any tips for a dieter on the go?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Question Any tips for a dieter on the go?

I work full time, go to school full time, and mostly live out of a microwave. im looking for some tips to help me get my healthy food, but in a way that is easier for me.

At one job, we have no fridge, so i need ways to have healthy meals that doesnt need to be cooled (Im there for 8+ hours, so ice packs are little use)

At another job, i have only a 15 minute break and a microwave, but here we have a fridge.

Also, I dont eat beef or pork products, and i am lactose intolerant, unfortunately

Im not really looking for snack ideas, more for actual meals, mostly dinner ideas but ill take whatever you have! Please let me know any suggestions that you have!!!

Andie
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 AM

since you don't have a way to keep food cool at your one job, i suggest going vegetarian so you don't have to worry about any meat products. in particular i'm thinking about what i make my daughter for her school lunches...a veggie sandwich with tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and you could add sprouts or onions or whatever. mustard wouldn't spoil, plus no calories (or very few). made on a good, hearty and healthy whole grain bread...sounds good to me! or, what about a cold pasta salad. i make a bowtie pasta with cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, olives and a lite italian dressing; oh and i put mrs dash seasoning on the pasta before adding other stuff. for a healthier pasta you could go whole wheat. i used to put in green peppers too, but my kids always picked them out so i stopped adding them.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for the ideas, does the pasta salad hold up well without staying cool?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

yes, i think so. i've left it out on the counter before for everyone to graze on during the day and it was fine. also, you can get a freezer pack to put in with your lunch to keep it chilled for a few hours. i got some just at my grocery store for less than $2 each. they work great, and then just refreeze them each night.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
FitDay Member

I'm sure I can come up with a better answer, but my first thought was Lean Cuisines (or other varieties). At least for the job with a fridge and microwave. Some of those frozen meals are pretty filling and tasty.

Also, if you have time to cook on the weekend you can make large quantities of things like vegetarian chili or soup and freeze it in single serving containers. Then just defrost, bring to work and reheat.

As for the place that doesn't have a fridge. I would go with fresh veggies and salads. As long as you don't place it directly in the sun, it will last just fine without being in the fridge. I would skip the creamy dressings and go for something like balsamic vinegar or an italian, as it will last better out of the fridge.

My other suggestions would be snack type things (almonds, fiber bars, beef jerky, apple sauce, etc.) but you said you weren't looking for that, right?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Leftovers are always a nice idea for lunch especially for the job with the fridge and microwave but for the other job what about pita pockets filled with lots of veggies and crunchy things and fresh fruit salads, grab things from the fruit bowl and chop them up at work so that they stay nice and fresh.

Do you have access to a kettle or hot water boiler? Would those noodle soup cups be any good for you?

A healthy muffin made at home or a healthy monster cookie. I bake my monster cookie before work and then wrap it in foil and eat it at lunch time when I know I'm going to be rushing round.

Another suggestion would be chickpeas, chopped scallions and couscous with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Cravitz01,

have you ever had Tabbouleh? it's a delicious dish based on quinoa, fresh chopped veggies, olives, and an olive oil based dressing. You can add feta cheese or not..your choice. Best part is, it's a filling salad that doesn't need to be refrigerated all day (best served room temp) and it doesn't have to be reheated I make a big bowl of this on the weekend and take it all week. I divide the portions into individual containers, store it in my personal refrigerator and on my way out to work, I put it into my lunch bag (with or with out an ice pack) and eat it when I'm ready.

I can post the recipe I use or you can search for it on the web. There are tons of great recipes on allrecipes.com (my go to source when I don't know what I want to make) and the website is great because you can search by ingredients you want and ingredients you don't

-Crystal
Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cravitz01
I work full time, go to school full time, and mostly live out of a microwave. im looking for some tips to help me get my healthy food, but in a way that is easier for me.

At one job, we have no fridge, so i need ways to have healthy meals that doesnt need to be cooled (Im there for 8+ hours, so ice packs are little use)

At another job, i have only a 15 minute break and a microwave, but here we have a fridge.

Also, I dont eat beef or pork products, and i am lactose intolerant, unfortunately

Im not really looking for snack ideas, more for actual meals, mostly dinner ideas but ill take whatever you have! Please let me know any suggestions that you have!!!

Andie

There are plenty of healthy meals you can prepare ahead of time to bring with you when you won't have access to a fridge or microwave for 8 hours.

Frozen water bottles will keep your food cold and safe all day. I travel a lot plus I'm a vegetarian with food allergies so I will pack a lunch cooler with high protein meat replacements (Deli smart, Gardein, Morning Star or any other perishables) I have trouble finding when out of town.

When I have a really long flight (that includes a meal or two I can't/won't eat) I will bring my own in a small insulated disposable (zippered) lunch bag. Some of my favorites are a breakfast burrito filled with egg whites, veggie sausage, grilled veggies and cheese or a tortilla loaded with deli smart, cheese and raw veggies or a fake chicken salad rolled up in romaine lettuce.

What macros you are aiming for?