Notices

Soy Milk - does it cause weight gain?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Soy Milk - does it cause weight gain?

Hi there,

I have heard that soy milk contains a lot of estrogen and can cause weight gain. I had originally switched to it because I am no longer able t drink milk. I chalk that up to being menopausal...

I don't drink a lot of it but I have it in my coffee in the morning. However, I've gained about 14 pounds in the past four months and can't seem to shake them!

I am a part-time student and work full time. Luckily, I live on campus and can walk to work and take walks around the campus.

Is there any truth to soy milk's estrogen content and weight gain? If yes, is there anything else I can try?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

Everyone needs energy so try the fresh cow milk instead of soy milk...
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by picasoflake
Everyone needs energy so try the fresh cow milk instead of soy milk...
She stated she can't drink regular milk, I assume lactose intolerant?

I have not heard of Soy of any kind causing weight gain anymore than any other food. Not to be insensitive but I find it hard to believe you gained 14lb. from just Soy milk in your coffee? Are you being honest with yourself? Are you logging your foods and acheiving a calorie deficit? What do your FAT/CARB/PROTEIN percentages look like?

I find I lose more weight if my Protein is at 30% of my calories. You need to experiment to find the combination that works for you?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Dietary phytoestrogen intake--lignans ... [Cancer Causes Control. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

It's phytoestrogens that were in various studies, I guess. But this study seemed to find nothing to worry about there.

Talk to your doctor, though, because he or she would have the best take on your particular situation. And if you did decide to switch from soymilk, there are plenty of other yummy (I mean yummy!) substitutions at the health food area of the supermarket. I love oatmilk.

I gave up milk in my coffee and never looked back. Now, any addition to my coffee just tastes like another meal flavor (sugar, splenda, hazelnut, non-dairy creamer, milk, cream, etc.) and I don't need it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I suspect that menopause is more to blame for the 14lbs than soy milk.

After a "certain age" as the used to say, our metabolisms slow down even more, and it becomes hard to maintain our weight with the old eating habits and even harder to lose weight. So it is good you noticed this in time to modify your food now, before things get out of hand.

Start incorporating a little more exercise and replacing your higher calorie foods with lower calorie dense foods and you'll be right back to the old weight in no time.

And hey, keep us posted. There are a bunch of us in the same situation you are