Notices

Anyone use Stevia?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone use Stevia?

Initially I have avoided Stevia because I read something when it first came on the market that it could cause reproductive problems. Since I am trying to lose weight though would like to find something I can use to sweeten things and bake with. I do not trust the safety of Splenda or Aspartame. Aspartame gives me migraines I have found, plus now that I gave up diet soda anything with aspartame takes bitter now. I have been using Sweet N Low for ice tea, but can't use it for baking. I just tried a strange recipe I saw online of mixing peanut butter with Fage plain greek yogurt and stevia. The stevia is only thing made it edible. I had been eating the Fage with fruit, but fruit has way too many carbs. Am researching stevia now, but wondering what other's experience is? I just read some of the powdered kind has additives which may not be safe.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM

i use stevia and i love it. it put it in my oatmeal in the morning, when i bake with it i use 1/2 sugar and 1/2 stevia. yesterday i made a low sugar frosting with stevia. i used it one time in a recipe where i used all stevia instead of sugar, and it didn't come out good, but since i had never made that recipe before i don't know if it was the actual recipe that really wasn't good, or if it was because i used all stevia. but i really like it...saves a ton of calories and carbs.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

I've tried Stevia and Truvia but I don't really like them, have an after taste. I've recently started using Swerve as I heard about it off another forum. Thought I would give it a try and I really like it, I even like it with my sweet tea. It measures cup for cup like sugar and works well in recipes. I haven't tried the powdered Swerve yet but that is my next purchase. I am going to try the liquid Stevia as I notice alot of low carb recipes call for it (never have tried that before). I hope this helps!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
FitDay Member

Stevia is well suited for diabetic patients as it helps in controlling the sugar level, but it should not be used by adolescents as it can affect your reproductive system.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

After I wrote that I started feeling terrible a little bit later like I was going to collapse. I have a problem with low blood pressure and wouldn't you know it stevia lowers blood pressure. Won't be using that again!

PS: Something else that lowers blood pressure is hibiscus. I bought this Celestial Seasonings iced tea cold brew teabags that would make me black out nearly every time I drank it. Took me awhile to figure out what was causing it. Turns out the Hawaiians had used hibiscus as a way of lowering BP for decades. Just because its natural doesn't mean its necessarily safe for everyone.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Stevia is a 100% natural sweetener as compared to sugar. It is more helpful in many health problems such as low blood pressure etc.

Last edited by Galamaga; 10-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.