Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Need TRIED AND TRUE Sugar Free Tomato Jam or Preserves Recipe >

Need TRIED AND TRUE Sugar Free Tomato Jam or Preserves Recipe

Notices

Need TRIED AND TRUE Sugar Free Tomato Jam or Preserves Recipe

Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need TRIED AND TRUE Sugar Free Tomato Jam or Preserves Recipe

Does anyone have a sugar free tomato jam or tomato preserves recipe that you know actually works? I've seen some using artificial sweetener, but some other people say when you use artificial sweetener with tomatoes the jam or preserves don't set up right.

I've seen it can be purchased online, but I want to can some if we have a large tomato yield from the garden.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I answered my own question. I puttered around in the kitchen and came up with my own sugar free tomato preserves recipe and I like the seasonings I came up with on the first try. I went from the memory of the seasonings in an old friend's full sugar recipe. (He's now deceased so I couldn't ask him.)

Sugar free tomato preserves
makes about 6 tablespoons

Important note: if using a sweetener that is not heat stable--such as Equal-- add at the end of cooking to retain full sweetening power and prevent bitterness.

Ingredients:

one cup well drained crushed tomatoes (I used home canned)
1/8 teaspoon each ground mild chili powder, cumin, ginger, allspice and cinnamon
1 packet (equivalent sweetening of 2 teaspoons sugar) artificial sweetener

Directions:

1. Drain tomatoes well and cook in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until very little liquid remains and tomatoes are the consistency of a jam or fruit preserves.
2. Remove from heat
3. Either combine well the spices and sweetener in a separate bowl and add to the tomatoes, stirring well to combine OR simply add the spices and sweetener one at a time, stirring well after each addition.

Cool and store in a small covered container in the fridge

Nutrition counts per tablespoon using home canned tomatoes as I did
Calories 15
Total fat .05g
Saturated fat .02g
Polyunsaturated fat .02g
Total carbohydrates 2.9g
Fiber .75g
Net carbohydrates 2.15g
Protein .75g

Last edited by Mern; 07-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.