Notices

Low Carb "Baked" Black Soy Beans

Old 07-12-2011, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Low Carb "Baked" Black Soy Beans

Low Carb "Baked" Black Soy Beans

Made stovetop and serves three

My apologies! I neglected to mention that the counts for calories, carbs, fiber, and protein below include ONLY the beans, tomato sauce, vinegar and onion powder that were actually measured. You have to add in counts for bacon and other ingredients you add to taste. My recipe using artificial sweetener came to about 170 calories, 14g carbs, 8g fiber, 6 net carbs, 14g protein per serving.

There are a million ways to make baked beans, but here's what I did:

Ingredients:
15oz. can of Eden Organic Sodium Free Black Soy Beans (available in health food section of some grocery stores or online)
6 to 8 oz. canned tomato sauce
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
sweetener to taste (be sure artificial sweetener can be used in prolonged cooking)

Suggested seasonings to taste can be adjusted any time during cooking:
salt or salt substitute
yellow prepared mustard
ground cloves
Worcestershire sauce
minced onion (fresh or dehydrated)
chili powder
crumbled cooked bacon (I used three slices of turkey bacon)

Stovetop Directions:
Mix together all ingredients except bacon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, at least 1 1/2 hours--2 1/2 hours is better. Can also be prepared the day before and reheated. Add the cooked, crumbled bacon just before serving.

Last edited by Mern; 07-19-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Clarification on what was included in calorie and other nutrition counts
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

That looks great! I am going to have to make it, minus the bacon/Worcestershire sauce since I/m a veggie.

What was included in your cal figure?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

My roomie makes mean black bean brownies, which is what I thought this was a recipe for.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azazelsfyre
My roomie makes mean black bean brownies, which is what I thought this was a recipe for.
I made those once. The first couple of bites were ok but then they started tasting kind of "spicy" and left a funny after taste.

I decided if I wanted a brownie I would just have a real brownie. Or one made by mixing regular brownie mix and yogurt together, nuked in the microwave.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

VabeachgirlNYC, my apologies and thanks so much for asking that question about what was included in my calorie count. I neglected to mention that the counts for calories, carbs, fiber, and protein in the baked bean recipe include ONLY the beans, tomato sauce, vinegar and onion powder that were actually measured. You have to add in counts for bacon and other ingredients you add to taste. I edited a clarification into my recipe post.

I'd love to have a good low carb brownie--haven't come across a recipe that entices me.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
VabeachgirlNYC, my apologies and thanks so much for asking that question about what was included in my calorie count. I neglected to mention that the counts for calories, carbs, fiber, and protein in the baked bean recipe include ONLY the beans, tomato sauce, vinegar and onion powder that were actually measured. You have to add in counts for bacon and other ingredients you add to taste. I edited a clarification into my recipe post.

I'd love to have a good low carb brownie--haven't come across a recipe that entices me.
Thanks Mern! I can't wait to try it!

You don't want the recipe I used! Maybe azazelsfyre can get the recipe from her roomie for us. Hers sound way better than the ones I made!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Black Bean Brownies

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I was considering making it but it sounds odd. People seem to like it from the reviews on the site.

I was just wondering incase anyone has tried something similar and if they have any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Black Bean Brownies Recipe - Allrecipes.com