FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Another use for Laughing Cow (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/7352-another-use-laughing-cow.html)

Spookycheeseofdoom 06-04-2012 09:39 AM

I just smear it onto a slice of wasa bread (about 70 calories total), and pile it with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes or sometimes a slice of thin deli meat for a fabulous open-face sammich. The crunchiness of the Wasa bread and the rich creaminess of the Laughing Cow makes you feel like you're not even depriving yourself, and it's a lovely breakfast, lunch or snack for about 100 calories total.

liberatedmist 06-04-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spookycheeseofdoom (Post 82772)
I just smear it onto a slice of wasa bread (about 70 calories total), and pile it with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes or sometimes a slice of thin deli meat for a fabulous open-face sammich. The crunchiness of the Wasa bread and the rich creaminess of the Laughing Cow makes you feel like you're not even depriving yourself, and it's a lovely breakfast, lunch or snack for about 100 calories total.

This sounds yummy too! I have put it on wasa before but not with other veggies.

dear_abby 07-18-2012 04:17 AM

I got Globe Zucchini at the Farmer's market - about the size and shape of a tennis ball - slice into fairly thick slices, and use those as the "bread" in a yummy sandwich - I used the blue cheese light Laughing Cow. Would be good with Hummus too.

Abby

Rubystars 07-18-2012 01:03 PM

I like to take one of those la tortilla factory tortillas and heat it up for 30 seconds in the microwave. I then spread the laughing cow cheese over it. Then I fill the tortilla with some cooked broccoli and wrap it up. I like the way this tastes :)

lcriswell0421 07-23-2012 04:19 AM

yesterday i tried laughing cow cheese for the first time...i'm hooked!!!! similar to rubystars' idea, i used a small tortilla, spread the cheese all over it (i used garlic & herb) and then added a cold cucumber spear. light, crunchy, delicious. then i liked it so much that later i had another one except that i added some chicken to it. this is now on my go-to list for low cal/low carb lunches.

Rubystars 07-23-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spookycheeseofdoom (Post 82772)

I hate to be a naysayer but upon a second glance at this post I think you're miscalculating.

If your piece of bread is 70 calories, and the laughing cow cheese wedge is 35, then that's already 105 calories, before you add the vegetables. A slice of lunch meat runs you about 30-35 calories. That would, at the lowest, be 130 calories if you added that. A half of a medium cucumber is about 12 calories. Maybe you only use a quarter cucumber, so let's say 6 calories. So now we're up to 136. One small tomato is about 16 calories. So now we're up to 152. One quarter of a green pepper is about another 6 calories, so we're up to 158.

It's still low in calories, but it's not "about 100 calories total". I'm not trying to nitpick but if people read this thread it may be important for them to know what the actual calorie count is.

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 06:14 AM

Wasa bread is 45 calories, so the Wasa plus the cheese is about 80 total.

Unfortunately, I dislike Wasa, but I like the idea of spreading on a tortilla...I may try that tonight.

I also like the idea of having it with a slice of deli turkey. I had gotten away from Laughing Cow because for 25 more calories using reduced fat block cheese, I could get 9 g protein instead of 2, so IMO those 25 cals were worth it, but the lunchmeat would add protein as well, so that's another option I have; thanks.

liberatedmist 07-23-2012 06:37 AM

I hadn't used the LC cheese in a while and now I am back on the kick. I love the cheese on a cracker with cucumber (maybe even skip the cracker!) idea that someone had posted and ate that for a little while. Today I am going to have it with kale again, which is a favorite of mine.

As for Wasa. I love these crackers because, well....because I love crackers and these feel like they are diet approved. ;) Anyway, there are 2 different types of wasa crackers that I have come across. Regular and Lite. I don't have them in front of me but I think the regular are 45 calories for 1 cracker and the lite are 60 calories for 2 crackers. This might be causing some of the confusion in total calorie calculation for a wasa/cheese meal.

If you don't like wasa, I recently tried Wheat Thins Flatbread crackers and they are MUCH better. They aren't as filling or as thick at the wasa ones, but they have a lot of flavor and can even be eaten plain. I tried Tuscan Herb and you get 2 crackers for 60 calories....just an alternative cracker to try. :) (they taste great with a lite swiss LC cheese spread over 2 crackers and a slice of low fat pastrami on each...yum! Total comes to about 125cals....60 for crackers, 35 for cheese and 30 for pastrami.)

Anyway.....back to the cheese!! :D

cjohnson728 07-23-2012 06:50 AM

Thanks, lm!

I haven' tried the flatbread, but I like the Wheat Thins Fiber. My favorite, though, are the Triscuit Thin Crisps...just three ingredients :D.

Forget the shoes, it's gotta be the cheese ;).

liberatedmist 07-23-2012 07:01 AM

I was just reading a weightloss/recipe blog and someone used a LC Cream Cheese wedge in their cauliflower "mashed potatoes"!!! That sounds brilliant! If you don't know, you can make fake mashed potatoes using cauliflower instead of potatoes. I have tried it once before and it wasn't bad, not the same as real potatoes but a fun alternative.....but adding cheese sounds really yummy! Cauliflower has been added to my grocery list for tomorrow. :)