Small meals ideas >

Small meals ideas

Community
Notices

Small meals ideas

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by samilton
If you think it will not be a "slippery slope," Lean Cuisine has some nice snack-type meals now that are about 150 calories. I like them in a pinch if I have nothing fresh on hand. They call them spring rolls but they're really spring roll inspired, with an Italian version and a Mexican version.
Not to be a stickler, but those rolls are at least 200 calories. I do eat Lean Cuisine meals, but I have yet to find any for 150 calories. I think the lowest I found was about 190.

I have started making my own spring rolls though and they are quite tasty....not as good as a fried egg roll, but full of veggies and yummy. I recently tried baking them to crisp them up and that worked well too. They were more chewy than crispy but nice and warm.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

I love black bean salad. I normally have some in the fridge and eat it when I feel a little hungry. This recipe makes 10 servings, but it is one I have cut in half several times and it works great. I do like to make this with a change from time to time I will add some chopped jalapenos when I have some fresh ones in my garden. I also do not use canned corn, but I use frozen corn that I have allowed to thaw but have not heated. Just mix it all together and put in the fridge. It tastes better after it has set for a while. From my research it works out to being 166 calories per serving.

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups crisp canned corn, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

Originally Posted by wasranch
I love black bean salad. I normally have some in the fridge and eat it when I feel a little hungry. This recipe makes 10 servings, but it is one I have cut in half several times and it works great. I do like to make this with a change from time to time I will add some chopped jalapenos when I have some fresh ones in my garden. I also do not use canned corn, but I use frozen corn that I have allowed to thaw but have not heated. Just mix it all together and put in the fridge. It tastes better after it has set for a while. From my research it works out to being 166 calories per serving.

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups crisp canned corn, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
that sounds delicious. I'm gonna try it!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

Make vegetable soup, you can make a big pot of it and eat on it all day.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Portion control has been my problem. Some of my meals are just a half a pita (80 calories) stuffed with veggies. Oh, I must not lie - it's really two halves and I add some olives and cubes of feta cheese. Sometimes, it's just my own homemade coleslaw (prepackaged slaws of various compositions, tossed with a little bit of full-fat dressing and then drained... sometime I even drain, rinse under some running water and drain again, chill and have a slightly flavored very crispy slaw with almost no liquid) in the pita.

I was at my local supermarket recently and ordered a 'vegetarian' sub. A hoagie roll with pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and coleslaw. Nothing else on it - by the time they add the coleslaw, there's not much room in the sandwich, so it's not much coleslaw. In the old days, I would have thought about how it needed cheese, or meat, or some protein. Now, I just appreciate it for the veggies. It's a meal - larger than your small meal but definitely feels luxurious to someone who diets.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM

i am really loving having home made guacamole (1 avocado, about 2 Tbsp salsa, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, pepper and a lot of garlic powder and some ground flax seed) on cucumber slices.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Janie12 I hope you like that salad as much as I do. ENJOY!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

100 calorie packs of Emerald's cocoa or cinnamon almonds

2T hummus with carrots and/or a small amount of natural corn chips

2 slices or turnkey or ham wrapped around thin sliced cheese

1 serving Healthy Harvest soup, the lower sodium kind

apple with 1 T natural pb with or without raisins

1/2 c of ricotta cheese, with 2t coca powder, 1 packet sweetener often with 1t coffee extract - South Beach recipe
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for all the help and ideas! The ricotta cheese recipe sounds interesting...never would have thought to put that together. :-)

I like the veggie soup idea too. I was just looking at making ratatouille and separating into portions (too hot for soup right now).

Thanks again and keep them coming!!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

liberatedmist - if you are still looking for some ideas...I just found a 'loaded' mushroom that is way low in calories. I LOVE mushrooms and love this idea. The calories are very low. You take a large morel mushroom and load it with fresh chopped salsa, a few spices, and top it with a little bit of cheese. I guess you could call it a mushroom pizza.

- Sara

REMOVED LINK

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 07-25-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.