Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samilton View Post
If you think it will not be a "slippery slope," Lean Cuisine has some nice snack-type meals now that are about 150 calories. I like them in a pinch if I have nothing fresh on hand. They call them spring rolls but they're really spring roll inspired, with an Italian version and a Mexican version.
Not to be a stickler, but those rolls are at least 200 calories. I do eat Lean Cuisine meals, but I have yet to find any for 150 calories. I think the lowest I found was about 190.

I have started making my own spring rolls though and they are quite tasty....not as good as a fried egg roll, but full of veggies and yummy. I recently tried baking them to crisp them up and that worked well too. They were more chewy than crispy but nice and warm.
liberatedmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I love black bean salad. I normally have some in the fridge and eat it when I feel a little hungry. This recipe makes 10 servings, but it is one I have cut in half several times and it works great. I do like to make this with a change from time to time I will add some chopped jalapenos when I have some fresh ones in my garden. I also do not use canned corn, but I use frozen corn that I have allowed to thaw but have not heated. Just mix it all together and put in the fridge. It tastes better after it has set for a while. From my research it works out to being 166 calories per serving.

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups crisp canned corn, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
wasranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasranch View Post
I love black bean salad. I normally have some in the fridge and eat it when I feel a little hungry. This recipe makes 10 servings, but it is one I have cut in half several times and it works great. I do like to make this with a change from time to time I will add some chopped jalapenos when I have some fresh ones in my garden. I also do not use canned corn, but I use frozen corn that I have allowed to thaw but have not heated. Just mix it all together and put in the fridge. It tastes better after it has set for a while. From my research it works out to being 166 calories per serving.

2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups crisp canned corn, drained
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
that sounds delicious. I'm gonna try it!
janie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Make vegetable soup, you can make a big pot of it and eat on it all day.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Portion control has been my problem. Some of my meals are just a half a pita (80 calories) stuffed with veggies. Oh, I must not lie - it's really two halves and I add some olives and cubes of feta cheese. Sometimes, it's just my own homemade coleslaw (prepackaged slaws of various compositions, tossed with a little bit of full-fat dressing and then drained... sometime I even drain, rinse under some running water and drain again, chill and have a slightly flavored very crispy slaw with almost no liquid) in the pita.

I was at my local supermarket recently and ordered a 'vegetarian' sub. A hoagie roll with pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and coleslaw. Nothing else on it - by the time they add the coleslaw, there's not much room in the sandwich, so it's not much coleslaw. In the old days, I would have thought about how it needed cheese, or meat, or some protein. Now, I just appreciate it for the veggies. It's a meal - larger than your small meal but definitely feels luxurious to someone who diets.
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
FitDay Member

i am really loving having home made guacamole (1 avocado, about 2 Tbsp salsa, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, pepper and a lot of garlic powder and some ground flax seed) on cucumber slices.

Re-Starting weight 7/26/13: 277
Mini goal: 270 by 8/23/13
Goal weight: 130ish by 12/25/2014
lcriswell0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Janie12 I hope you like that salad as much as I do. ENJOY!!!
wasranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
FitDay Member

100 calorie packs of Emerald's cocoa or cinnamon almonds

2T hummus with carrots and/or a small amount of natural corn chips

2 slices or turnkey or ham wrapped around thin sliced cheese

1 serving Healthy Harvest soup, the lower sodium kind

apple with 1 T natural pb with or without raisins

1/2 c of ricotta cheese, with 2t coca powder, 1 packet sweetener often with 1t coffee extract - South Beach recipe
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
FitDay Member

thanks for all the help and ideas! The ricotta cheese recipe sounds interesting...never would have thought to put that together. :-)

I like the veggie soup idea too. I was just looking at making ratatouille and separating into portions (too hot for soup right now).

Thanks again and keep them coming!!
liberatedmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
FitDay Member

liberatedmist - if you are still looking for some ideas...I just found a 'loaded' mushroom that is way low in calories. I LOVE mushrooms and love this idea. The calories are very low. You take a large morel mushroom and load it with fresh chopped salsa, a few spices, and top it with a little bit of cheese. I guess you could call it a mushroom pizza.

- Sara

REMOVED LINK

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 07-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.
SarasMusic is offline   Reply With Quote