Notices

Ground Flaxseed

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ground Flaxseed

I've been thinking about trying some recipes that include this ingredient. Do you find it in the food section at your store or in the health section like near the vitamins and protein shakes? I looked it up online at walmart and it looked like vitamins would be the area.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

At Whole Foods, it's in the baking section. Where you would find things like teff flour, whole wheat flour, etc. It's used as an ingredient in baking, so look for brands like Bob's Red Mill.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
At Whole Foods, it's in the baking section. Where you would find things like teff flour, whole wheat flour, etc. It's used as an ingredient in baking, so look for brands like Bob's Red Mill.
Thanks. I don't have a whole Foods. We have very basic grocery stores in our area. Not much in the health sections LOL. I will have to look for it though because there is a muffin recipe I am really wanting to try.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on the store, I have found it in the baking aisle, the cereal aisle, or the natural food section. I've not seen it in the vitamin section, but it seems each store has its idiosyncrasies. If you find a winner of a recipe, let us know!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

At my WalMart, they have it both in the Vitamin Section AND on the baking aisle near the cornmeal. I buy the Hodgen's Mill brand on the baking aisle. I've also seen it refrigerated in health food stores and I recommend refrigerating it once you get it home. (treat it like walnuts, the oil in flax tends to go rancid quickly, when it does, it smells a bit "shellac-y") I add it to my oatmeal after cooking it, I add it to my tuna salad, and I bake with it. Good stuff!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Depending on the store, I have found it in the baking aisle, the cereal aisle, or the natural food section. I've not seen it in the vitamin section, but it seems each store has its idiosyncrasies. If you find a winner of a recipe, let us know!
Will do!

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
At my WalMart, they have it both in the Vitamin Section AND on the baking aisle near the cornmeal. I buy the Hodgen's Mill brand on the baking aisle. I've also seen it refrigerated in health food stores and I recommend refrigerating it once you get it home. (treat it like walnuts, the oil in flax tends to go rancid quickly, when it does, it smells a bit "shellac-y") I add it to my oatmeal after cooking it, I add it to my tuna salad, and I bake with it. Good stuff!
THanks for the tip!