Notices

A nice twist to guacamole and chips

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default A nice twist to guacamole and chips

I figured out a way to eat my homemade guacamole without going calorie crazy on tortilla chips.

I substitute cucumbers slices or sliced red peppers, instead of chips, and dip them instead. I get a crunch with very few calories. It's a great snack, and I dont feel deprived.

What crazy tricks do you guys do, to enjoy your favorite treats without going overboard on calories? I'm always looking for ideas!

Have a great week, everyone!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

I do that with salsa.

I am a low carber so I use cauliflower as a substitute for a lot of thing like baked ziti, pizza crust, and bread sticks. It also cuts the cals way down.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Although it isn't a huge calorie saver, I make my own pita chips. I use whole wheat pita. Open them into 2 rounds spray with a little olive oil and maybe sprinkle with some garlic powder, pepper or other spices. Cut each round into 6 or 8 triangles and bake for about 5 minutes per side. (keep an eye on them they tend to go from crispy to burnt in a nanosecond).

It is a great way to use up old pita that is getting a little stale.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I do that with salsa.

I am a low carber so I use cauliflower as a substitute for a lot of thing like baked ziti, pizza crust, and bread sticks. It also cuts the cals way down.

VA, I keep thinking I should try your cauliflower alternatives. I know lots of folks have raved about it. I just can't get my head wrapped around cauliflower as a bread substitute.... gotta get over that
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

how do you use cauliflower as a sub for pizza crust? Im intrigued!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Although it isn't a huge calorie saver, I make my own pita chips. I use whole wheat pita. Open them into 2 rounds spray with a little olive oil and maybe sprinkle with some garlic powder, pepper or other spices. Cut each round into 6 or 8 triangles and bake for about 5 minutes per side. (keep an eye on them they tend to go from crispy to burnt in a nanosecond).

It is a great way to use up old pita that is getting a little stale.
I have used a tortilla, spray with olive oil, sift cocoa power over it, sprinkle truvia and bake. I don't keep any junk food in my house, had a sweet tooth one night and had to get creative! It wasn't bad.

I couldn't believe the cauliflower pizza could be picked up like a real slice and that it really did taste like real pizza! I'm a New Yorker and very picky about my pie! I would take the cauli pizza over those fast food chain pizza places anytime!

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...liflower+pizza