Notices

Slow Cooker / Crock Pot recipes???

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie -

If you're ever in the mood for the easiest slow-cook dumplings ever...

When I'm cooking chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker (my recipe is very similar to yours), after it's pretty much cooked through I'll often thicken just a bit (similarly to you) and then I'll add refrigerated biscuits on top - like the pillsbury refridgerated biscuits package? Open the package, quarter the biscuits, and lay them on top of the slow-cooker and turn to high. 40-50 minutes later the "biscuits" will plump up and billow out to be very soft dumplings.

It's the very, very lazy dumpling way, but it tastes extremely delicious.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
Cassie -

If you're ever in the mood for the easiest slow-cook dumplings ever...

When I'm cooking chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker (my recipe is very similar to yours), after it's pretty much cooked through I'll often thicken just a bit (similarly to you) and then I'll add refrigerated biscuits on top - like the pillsbury refridgerated biscuits package? Open the package, quarter the biscuits, and lay them on top of the slow-cooker and turn to high. 40-50 minutes later the "biscuits" will plump up and billow out to be very soft dumplings.

It's the very, very lazy dumpling way, but it tastes extremely delicious.
Thanks, Terri!

I found a recipe for another slow cooker meal that sounds pretty good and will probably try this one sometime soon:

Crockpot Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Recipes - Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes - Five Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Recipes

But I will probably substitute breasts for some of the thighs; son likes dark meat but hubby and I don't prefer it. The awesome thing about slow cookers is it's really hard to dry something out!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Everyone,
I love your slow cooker recipes. I use mine fairly often for chilli, but that's about it. I would like to do it as easily as possible! I usually braise the beef first, and saute onions, garlic, etc. I see there is mention of not sauteing ahead of time. What a time saver. Does anyone ever just throw everything in: frozen meat, peppers, onions, potatoes, whatever, put it on low and come home to something fairly wonderful? That would be great !
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

I've put frozen chicken breasts in, but I've not tried frozen beef.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

I work alot too and hate to come home & cook at the end of the day, I like to cook a whole chicken (or two) in my crockpot on the weekends, let it cool & debone it and then you can make all the yummy sounding recipies listed above, and you have chicken for salads, to make chicken salad w/ etc. Pot roast is VERY easy in the crockpot, add your roast, seasonings, 1 can FF chicken broth (yes chicken, not beef) and pot to rim w/ water. Oh, add your veggies too, unless you are doing carrots (they get very mushy), turn it on low and off to work you go. When you get home, all you need to do is heat up some veggies or grab a salad & you are done.
Hope this helps
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Here's what I have cooking for dinner tonight Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Pork . Served over rice with steamed sugar snap peas.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

My Mom loves chicken and dumplings so I'm going to try this. Someone suggested using the refridgerated biscuits. Surprised that the sodium content wasn't too bad.
When it's hotter outside I try to use crockpot more!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Thanks, Terri!

I found a recipe for another slow cooker meal that sounds pretty good and will probably try this one sometime soon:

Crockpot Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Recipes - Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes - Five Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Recipes

But I will probably substitute breasts for some of the thighs; son likes dark meat but hubby and I don't prefer it. The awesome thing about slow cookers is it's really hard to dry something out!
Now I'm going to have to try this one. I've switched from eating regular potatoes to buying only sweet potatoes.

I would like to try and make my Apple and Squash recipe in the slow cooker but not sure how to convert cooking time. Any idea's? I was thinking maybe low for about an hour. When I cook it in the oven I cook it at 350 for about 45 min.

Also was wondering if any has come across any pan cake bakes one could do over night and wake up to breakfast.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by badinga
Hi Everyone,
I love your slow cooker recipes. I use mine fairly often for chilli, but that's about it. I would like to do it as easily as possible! I usually braise the beef first, and saute onions, garlic, etc. I see there is mention of not sauteing ahead of time. What a time saver. Does anyone ever just throw everything in: frozen meat, peppers, onions, potatoes, whatever, put it on low and come home to something fairly wonderful? That would be great !
I'm one that has did frozen meat, peppers, potatoes together, and cooked it for about 7-8 hours on low. It does turn out wondeful. If you want to you can add a cup of water or a can of beef broth soup. The potatoes soak up the juice and the meat doesn't dry out.