Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
taubele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,018
Default

Cassie -

If you're ever in the mood for the easiest slow-cook dumplings ever...

When I'm cooking chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker (my recipe is very similar to yours), after it's pretty much cooked through I'll often thicken just a bit (similarly to you) and then I'll add refrigerated biscuits on top - like the pillsbury refridgerated biscuits package? Open the package, quarter the biscuits, and lay them on top of the slow-cooker and turn to high. 40-50 minutes later the "biscuits" will plump up and billow out to be very soft dumplings.

It's the very, very lazy dumpling way, but it tastes extremely delicious.
__________________
Terri
Female, 31 years old, 5'4 1/2" tall
Starting weight 1/4/11 = 215.2 lbs.
Weight 9/19/14 = 176.6 (net: -38.6)
Last mini-goal: 180 lbs. REACHED! Reward - new sports bra
Current min-goal: 175 lbs.
Next large goal: 165 lbs. by 12/25/2014
Lowest weight: 156.7 lbs.
150.2 lbs. <--- Official "Healthy BMI" weight
Estimated final goal: 130-140 lbs.
"You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."
taubele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
cjohnson728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubele View Post
Cassie -

If you're ever in the mood for the easiest slow-cook dumplings ever...

When I'm cooking chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker (my recipe is very similar to yours), after it's pretty much cooked through I'll often thicken just a bit (similarly to you) and then I'll add refrigerated biscuits on top - like the pillsbury refridgerated biscuits package? Open the package, quarter the biscuits, and lay them on top of the slow-cooker and turn to high. 40-50 minutes later the "biscuits" will plump up and billow out to be very soft dumplings.

It's the very, very lazy dumpling way, but it tastes extremely delicious.
Thanks, Terri!

I found a recipe for another slow cooker meal that sounds pretty good and will probably try this one sometime soon:

Crockpot Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Recipes - Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes - Five Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Recipes

But I will probably substitute breasts for some of the thighs; son likes dark meat but hubby and I don't prefer it. The awesome thing about slow cookers is it's really hard to dry something out!
__________________
Cassie

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Hi Everyone,
I love your slow cooker recipes. I use mine fairly often for chilli, but that's about it. I would like to do it as easily as possible! I usually braise the beef first, and saute onions, garlic, etc. I see there is mention of not sauteing ahead of time. What a time saver. Does anyone ever just throw everything in: frozen meat, peppers, onions, potatoes, whatever, put it on low and come home to something fairly wonderful? That would be great !
badinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
cjohnson728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,083
Default

I've put frozen chicken breasts in, but I've not tried frozen beef.
__________________
Cassie

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Smile

I work alot too and hate to come home & cook at the end of the day, I like to cook a whole chicken (or two) in my crockpot on the weekends, let it cool & debone it and then you can make all the yummy sounding recipies listed above, and you have chicken for salads, to make chicken salad w/ etc. Pot roast is VERY easy in the crockpot, add your roast, seasonings, 1 can FF chicken broth (yes chicken, not beef) and pot to rim w/ water. Oh, add your veggies too, unless you are doing carrots (they get very mushy), turn it on low and off to work you go. When you get home, all you need to do is heat up some veggies or grab a salad & you are done.
Hope this helps
jessi91473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnetonka
Posts: 23
Default

Here's what I have cooking for dinner tonight Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Pork . Served over rice with steamed sugar snap peas.
__________________
Started July 2nd @ 199
Mini Goal get BMI out of Obese

Never a dull moment
tonkajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
Default

My Mom loves chicken and dumplings so I'm going to try this. Someone suggested using the refridgerated biscuits. Surprised that the sodium content wasn't too bad.
When it's hotter outside I try to use crockpot more!
jjrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 122
Send a message via Yahoo to LMB2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
Thanks, Terri!

I found a recipe for another slow cooker meal that sounds pretty good and will probably try this one sometime soon:

Crockpot Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Recipes - Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes - Five Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Recipes

But I will probably substitute breasts for some of the thighs; son likes dark meat but hubby and I don't prefer it. The awesome thing about slow cookers is it's really hard to dry something out!
Now I'm going to have to try this one. I've switched from eating regular potatoes to buying only sweet potatoes.

I would like to try and make my Apple and Squash recipe in the slow cooker but not sure how to convert cooking time. Any idea's? I was thinking maybe low for about an hour. When I cook it in the oven I cook it at 350 for about 45 min.

Also was wondering if any has come across any pan cake bakes one could do over night and wake up to breakfast.
__________________
Start weight when starting tracking with fitday:
314- Nov. 28, 2011
Current weight:293-Dec. 14, 2013
Goal: 285

My Desirable weight: 125-160 (Lowest-Highest)

I'm just making lifestyle changes.

Wii Scale
3-29-2011 312lbs
3-30-2012 299lbs
4-2-2013 296lbs
2014
LMB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 122
Send a message via Yahoo to LMB2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinga View Post
Hi Everyone,
I love your slow cooker recipes. I use mine fairly often for chilli, but that's about it. I would like to do it as easily as possible! I usually braise the beef first, and saute onions, garlic, etc. I see there is mention of not sauteing ahead of time. What a time saver. Does anyone ever just throw everything in: frozen meat, peppers, onions, potatoes, whatever, put it on low and come home to something fairly wonderful? That would be great !
I'm one that has did frozen meat, peppers, potatoes together, and cooked it for about 7-8 hours on low. It does turn out wondeful. If you want to you can add a cup of water or a can of beef broth soup. The potatoes soak up the juice and the meat doesn't dry out.
__________________
Start weight when starting tracking with fitday:
314- Nov. 28, 2011
Current weight:293-Dec. 14, 2013
Goal: 285

My Desirable weight: 125-160 (Lowest-Highest)

I'm just making lifestyle changes.

Wii Scale
3-29-2011 312lbs
3-30-2012 299lbs
4-2-2013 296lbs
2014
LMB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2