Notices

What's for Breakfast??

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
I love reading these sorts of threads and seeing all the ideas

I have a fairly sensitive stomach in the morning, if I eat something heavy or big it'll go right through me. About 80% of my mornings start with a 6 oz. container of flavored Greek Yogurt (whatever is on sale - I like all the brands) and that's usually fine for me. I tend to eat lunch fairly early (around noon) and it's enough that I don't need a mid-morning snack. Sometimes I will switch it up and have a high-fiber cereal if the yogurt isn't appealing for whatever reason. If it's not high-fiber though, I'm always starving come 11:00. I think Fiber One is great.

On weekends we tend to brunch and dinner, so brunch itself is usually larger. Very common for me to have two eggs (over-easy, normally) with 3 pieces of bacon on a lightly buttered bagel thin or toast as long as we're eating after 10:30 or so. Sometimes turkey sausage is added if I'm feeling really hungry, and if we have any fresh fruit in the house it'll come out. Not uncommon for me to go 500 cals on brunch, but I also won't eat again until dinner
Terri, have you ever tried Kashi Go Lean? I think it's equal or better in terms of fiber and also has a pretty big protein kick. Another reason it appeals to me personally is that it doesn't have the artificial sweeteners in it like Fiber One does.

I just pulled this out of the pantry this morning, used to eat it all the time, then got away from it, now I'm back on it again.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
FitDay Member

I have always been a breakfast eater and used to eat cereal most days, but hardly ever have it now.

I have a few things I switch up for breakfast. I always have 1 cup of 1% milk (just can't do the skim) with my breakfast.

Greek yogurt (I like Dannon best). Sometimes I will mix in 1/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal. Other times I will have 1 slice whole wheat toast with 1 tbls peanut butter.

A boiled egg with fruit. Sometimes the same toast as above with it.

Breakfast burrito made with a whole wheat tortilla, 1 egg scrambled (just spray the pan w/nonstick spray), tomato, onion, salsa and sometimes spinach or green pepper.

The other day I tried the oatmeal with fruit from McDonald's and I'm thinking I'll start making that at home sometimes. It had apples, raisins and cranberries in it and I really liked it.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
FitDay Member

I have discovered a quick breakfast for on the go. Crack an egg into a coffee cup (or egg white, or eggbeaters...) scramble it up. Add a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar ones as opposed to the regular ones) add a scant less then 2/3 cup of water, mix it all up and put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stir then another 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will look like a souffle (we can always imagine eating souffle for breakfast) when it comes out. The handle is cool to the touch, so it is grab and go. The oatmeal can cement itself into the cup, so get it cleaned asap, or soak it.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by terrienne
The other day I tried the oatmeal with fruit from McDonald's and I'm thinking I'll start making that at home sometimes. It had apples, raisins and cranberries in it and I really liked it.
How to Make Oatmeal . . . Wrong - NYTimes.com

You should be careful with the McDonald's version. Like you said - make it at home!

"Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)"
Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
FitDay Member

This morning I had 80 grams of bulgur wheat cooked in 2 cups of water (280 calories) with some sweet and low and cinnamon and a weetabix biscuit mixed into it. (sweet and low, supposedly 0 calories, but probably more like 2 in reality, cinnamon was probably around 1 or 2 calories, it usually comes out to that when I log the amount, and the weetabix biscuit was 65 calories). So far that's 345 calories. I also ate two boiled eggs which according to fit day were 154 calories. That brings the total to 499 calories, or in the low 500s if you count the cinnamon and sweet and low.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

My current favorite
scramble
4-6 eggs
2-4 oz meat if I have any... sausage, ham, or leftovers
10 leaves fresh spiniach + any other vegies
.5 onion
lots black pepper
lots sea salt
2 tbls milk
1 tsp sesame oil

cook in
1+ tbls bacon grease
1+ tbls butter

1-3 oz Fruit small portion

Coffee out the door

No juice, no toast
Keeps me full till dinner
Ive been moving to 2 meals a day lately, sometimes only 1 if I'm working mids
Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tonkajen
I have discovered a quick breakfast for on the go. Crack an egg into a coffee cup (or egg white, or eggbeaters...) scramble it up. Add a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar ones as opposed to the regular ones) add a scant less then 2/3 cup of water, mix it all up and put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stir then another 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will look like a souffle (we can always imagine eating souffle for breakfast) when it comes out. The handle is cool to the touch, so it is grab and go. The oatmeal can cement itself into the cup, so get it cleaned asap, or soak it.

This sounds both disgusting and delicious at the same time LOL - can't wait to try it!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jho82
This sounds both disgusting and delicious at the same time LOL - can't wait to try it!
Yep you gotta try it!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Here's one of my favorites

Sweet Potato Hash Serves 2
I think it's about 245 calories per serving

1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
1 chicken sausage link ( I use apple flavor)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 sweet potato
hot sauce (optional)
3 fresh sage leaves
2 eggs

Saute first four ingredients in oil ( I use grapeseed) for about 4 minutes or until soft. Add sweet potatoes and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add sage. Remove from plate and fry eggs for 3 minutes and flip and add another minute longer. Serve over potatoes.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Personally I have very little time in the morning so I'll often make breakfast the day before then just heat it up. One of my favorites is apple crunch. Place chopped and peeled apples on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with cinnamon and bake until soft and golden. Then you can serve them on granola, bread or rice, or if you're looking to reduce your carbohydrate intake and amp up your protein intake try serving it on Quinoa. it's a sweet low calorie alternative.
Btw, I'm loving all these recipes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.