FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What's for Breakfast?? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/6675-whats-breakfast.html)

edahlt 06-27-2012 06:05 AM

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I absolutely love it! Wish every meal were breakfast.

I have a few different things that I tend to rotate through.

Oatmeal: I hatehatehate plain oatmeal, and instant is way too sweet for me. I like to cook up a batch of oatmeal using soymilk and add sliced banana, chopped apples, or other fruit and either peanut butter or almond butter (always all-natural: one ingredient only) while it's cooking so it sort of melts in. The banana makes the oatmeal almost creamy, which is absolutely lovely, but I think I discovered my favorite combination this morning:
1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup vanilla soymilk (or regular milk, if you're so inclined), 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, and 1 tbsp peanut butter. The blackberries sort of dissolved in the pot and turned the oatmeal a lovely purple shade and added just the right amount of sweetness and flavor.

Scrambles: Tofu, spices (curry powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and black pepper, usually), kale, spinach, tomato, and red or orange pepper all in a skillet. If I know I'll be having a lot of protein later, I'll omit the tofu and just have a vegetable breakfast. Obviously, you could substitute eggs in for the tofu if you want.

Smoothies: I blend 12 oz of soft, silken tofu, banana, berries, kale and spinach then pour it into a bowl. In the microwave, I melt a tbsp of peanut butter or almond butter, pour it over the smoothie mixture, and top it with some high-fiber granola or cereal.

Note that often breakfast is my biggest meal of the day, so halving some of these recipes (particularly the smoothie one) might be more your thing.

bertozzi 07-08-2012 04:07 PM

Here are some of my favorite diet breakfasts:

(1) 4-6 oz lowfat or nonfat yogurt, 1/4 cup granola, and fresh fruit (either berries or fresh peaches cut up are my favorite).

(2) toasted cinnamon raisin bagel with 1 tbsp peanut butter and a sliced fresh apple on top.

(3) omelet of two eggs, one slice lowfat cheese, and a slice of deli ham,
cut in two and served over two slices of toasted multigrain bread.
Garnish with fresh ground black pepper as needed.

jmccabe202 07-09-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by tonkajen (Post 77192)
I have discovered a quick breakfast for on the go. Crack an egg into a coffee cup (or egg white, or eggbeaters...) scramble it up. Add a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar ones as opposed to the regular ones) add a scant less then 2/3 cup of water, mix it all up and put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stir then another 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will look like a souffle (we can always imagine eating souffle for breakfast) when it comes out. The handle is cool to the touch, so it is grab and go. The oatmeal can cement itself into the cup, so get it cleaned asap, or soak it.

Wow. That was good and much more enjoyable than the instant oatmeal alone. I suspect it will also keep me satisfied longer. Thanks for the idea.