FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   FitDay's Best of Series: Healthy Snacks (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/6647-fitdays-best-series-healthy-snacks.html)

almeeker 09-30-2011 12:10 PM

Believe it or not a single wedge of Laughing Cow cheese is fantastic. Eat it slowly with a big glass of water. Somehow or another the calories of it are balanced enough to shoo away most indeterminate cravings and at 35 calories, they won't break the budget.

Another good one is 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, a packet or two of sweetener (your choice) and 3/4 - 1 cup of frozen blueberries, stir it all together and let the berries freeze the milk. It's yummy and at 50-60 calories you can afford to eat it a couple time/day without issue.

Sugar free chocolate pudding cup, 60 calories. If you find that you eat them too fast, put them in the freezer.

Green beans, raw, steamed, boiled, whatev. A whole quart of them has about 100 calories and they are quite filling.

Roasted veggies, feels like a cheat, tastes like a cheat, but it's not a cheat at all. Mist them lightly with olive oil or cooking spray and eat as many as you want.

Almonds, 10-15 with a big glass of water.

A 4 oz can of tuna packed in water, with a big fat squeeze of spicy mustard.

I purchased 94% fat free microwave popcorn, it's 15 calories a cup, so maybe 100-140 calories for the whole bag (depending on the brand), it satisfies the salty thing and fills you up.

Another really good salty snack is dill pickles, they are 5-20 calories each and after I've eaten several and slugged down a bunch of water, the salt craving is gone. Another good snack for a salty craving is a 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese with 5 grams of grated parm mixed in.

taubele 10-06-2011 02:47 AM

Laughing cow cheese wedges - they taste luxurious but you can completely afford them if you eat them slowly. I also find that popcorn kills my cravings for a "pop-in-your-mouth-crunchy" craving. Homemade tortilla chips and hummus or other low-fat dip (salsa is what I usually go for) is good too (you'd be amazed how good some flatbread, placed in an oven with butter cooking spray spritzed on it and sea salt can taste - sometimes I even grill it) - you just have to be certain of how many you can eat for however many calories.

Meggietye 12-16-2011 03:56 AM

I don't eat spreads as a habit, but as a treat. A tasty way to enjoy olive oil is on toast with oregano sprinkled on top...delicious!! Make sure you buy a fresh package of oregano so the oils in it are flavorful..ok..now I want some...hahaha

daniliebe 01-07-2012 12:32 AM

I find that drinking one or two herbal teas at night helps me to feel full and helps me not to munch out.

Joyell 01-10-2012 01:26 PM

Peppermint tea, specifically, works for me. Soy Slender chocolate milk is also a nice "snack" when I'm having a sweet craving (90 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein).

I also plan for a snack - usually almonds or something cruncy with dip (carrots, cucumber slices, celery, etc.).

casseym08 02-16-2012 01:36 AM

Some of my new favorite snacks are baby carrots and dip (I spoon out precisely one serving of dip and stick to that), apple slices and peanut butter (again with the measuring the serving), Greek yogurt since it's way more creamy than regular yogurt and has tons of protein, craisins, a serving of lightly salted nuts, and veggie chips. The veggie chips can be a pain, though, since they're just as delicious as regular potato chips and it therefore takes just as much willpower to put them down and walk away when it's time.

VitoVino 02-21-2012 04:53 AM

FitDay's healthy snacks for weight loss

From FitDay Articles: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ight-loss.html

7 Healthy Snacks To Aid Weight Loss

The best healthy snacks are made from nutritious foods. Processed foods like potato chips, candy bars and cookies are high in fat and sugars and won't help you lose weight. Low calorie snacks can satisfy your hunger cravings in between meals, making it easier to lose weight. Here are some healthy foods that you can snack on, even while you're trying to lose weight.

1. Popcorn

Popcorn is a very healthy snack, as long as it's not drenched in butter and salt. Popcorn is high in fiber and low in calories. Air popped popcorn is the best, but you can pop it on the stove in canola or olive oil, or another oil that consists of monounsaturated fats. Check the labels on microwave popcorn, as many brands contain high levels of sodium and fat.

2. Nuts

Nuts contain monounsaturated fats, which can lower your total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels, while clearing your arteries and preventing the build up of arterial plaque. Nuts are high in protein, so they help you feel full. Nuts are also high in the antioxidant vitamin E, as well as fiber and magnesium.

3. Sunflower Seeds

Sunflower seeds contain a lot of the same healthy nutrients as nuts. Choose low salt or salt free sunflower seeds; the salt on the shells can make this healthy snack much less healthy after all.

4. Peanut and Nut Butters

Peanut and other nut butters are rich in protein, which can help keep you feeling full in between healthy meals. You can eat peanut butter all by itself, or add it to fruit, crackers or a smoothie. Peanut butter is a great healthy snack, but don't eat too much, because it's also high in calories.

5. Smoothies

Fruit smoothies are a great healthy snack and can even be used to replace healthy lunches if you put in enough ingredients. Smoothies can contain up to 600 calories, as many as some healthy meals, and can keep you feeling full for hours.

You can make smoothies yourself in your blender at home, with ingredients like fruit, yogurt and peanut butter. Many juice bars and cafes also offer smoothies on the menu. For extra protein, ask for an added shot of whey powder. Just be advised that smoothies are often high in fructose (fruit sugar), and that sugar can lead to weight gain if it's not burned off.

6. Beef Jerky

Beef jerky is a healthy snack that's high in protein. An ounce of jerky contains about 80 calories, 12 grams of protein and 1 gram of fat.

Buy your jerky at a health food store or whole foods grocery. However, be sure to read the label, as many brands of jerky are high in sodium.

7. Low or Non Fat Yogurt

An eight ounce cup of yogurt contains about 3 grams of fat and 150 calories. Yogurt is also high in protein and a good source of dietary calcium. Some studies show that consuming three eight ounce servings of low fat yogurt each day can help you lose weight. In addition, many low fat recipes use low fat yogurt as a healthy substitute for sour cream.

If you need a burst of energy while dieting, consider munching on one of the previously mentioned snacks.

VitoVino 02-21-2012 04:54 AM

http://images.free-extras.com/photo/...mp_cat-102.jpg