Notices

I am addicted to potato chips!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

She says it's too much trouble to do this.
I am going to have to do this on my own. I have lost 30 pounds in the last 6 mo but I have stalled out even though I need to lose 70 more.
I never have any bills in my wallet other than $20s at work so I can not be
tempted by the vending machines. Time to get off my "soap box" and just
do it.

Lard
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Have your own supply of Lay's non-fat potato chips. They use Olestra to get them to be non-fat. They have some taste, close enough to the original to fool your taste buds, short-term. The Olestra has never upset my stomach and I really love the taste of chips.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe ask her to hide the chips from you?

Or, train your body to crave other things! Try stove top popcorn with herbs, or make your own potato chips using sweet potatoes.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lardpuppy
Time to get off my "soap box" and just
do it.

There ya go! Just do it.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

I'm going to second the popcorn suggestion. I purchased 94% fat free microwave popcorn, it's 15 calories a cup, so maybe 100-140 calories for the whole bag (depending on the brand), it satisfies the salty thing and fills you up for about the same calories as a serving of potato chips. Just for fun, weigh out a serving of potato chips, it's not very many like 7-10 chips, set it side by side with the bag of popped popcorn and let yourself choose one. Believe me you'll go with the popcorn every time because it's way bigger and it smells better. Another really good salty snack is dill pickles, they are 5-20 calories each and after I've eaten several and slugged down a bunch of water, the salt craving is gone. Another good snack for a salty craving is a 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese with 5 grams of grated parm mixed in.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM
FitDay Member

If you like them, eat them.... Factor in a whole bag in your day's calories and it won't affect your weight-loss. Although if you blow 200 cals on a packet of crisps it just means you're eating less of everything else and might feel hungry as a result. A choice, in other words

If you really don't want to eat them any more, don't buy them... Eat other things. I think a lot of us have foods that we tend to avoid knowing we'll overeat them if we get our hands on some. Just takes a little determination to walk past the fixture rather than dive in.

Unless you're eating them by the crate they're not stopping you losing 5lbs.

Please review the FitDay Forum Rules regarding advertising

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-13-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: removed signature
Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Potato chips have a carcinogen in them:
Acrylamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even thin people should eat them in moderation only.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Potato chips have a carcinogen in them:
Acrylamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even thin people should eat them in moderation only.
Mmm, yummy!

I'm glad I've never had a potato chip addiction, although I must admit french fries have been a slight problem. I avoid them both now, like the plague.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Unless it's the sodium that you think is the problem, this helped me forget that potato chips existed.

Baked kale chips

You can do an easy google search to find a number of recipes.

all you really need is olive oil, salt & kale.

-put kale in a big mixing bowl (i usually do a large amount of kale at a time so i'm only making them once a week or so)
-drizzle some olive oil on them (experiment with what amount works for you, a little oil goes a long way) - toss the kale in the bowl to coat it in olive oil
-add salt to your kale

bake in low heat 350-375 for 20 - 30 minutes. turning every 10 minutes or so.

There is some experimenting needed for personal preference, when to add the salt (bowl, baking sheet or after they're done) and cooking temp and times, to find the right recipe for you.

If done right, they are crispy & salty just like chips. I've had batches that were crispy when first made but softened in the fridge, a couple minutes under the oven's broiler setting fixes that when you're ready to have a snack.

Give a try. Good luck
Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lardpuppy
She says it's too much trouble to do this.
I am going to have to do this on my own. I have lost 30 pounds in the last 6 mo but I have stalled out even though I need to lose 70 more.
I never have any bills in my wallet other than $20s at work so I can not be
tempted by the vending machines. Time to get off my "soap box" and just
do it.

Lard
You are stronger than the chips! You have lost 30 POUNDS!!! My goodness! I am so proud of you! Puppy, go to the dog food aisle or the birdseed aisle at the grocery store and go lift up one of those 30 pound bags of dog food, or birdseed. It's big and dead weight. You have LOST THAT MUCH!!! I often times go to the feed store and plop a 40 pound bag of horse chow on my shoulder and walk around the store with it and then put it back and leave, just to remind myself how much I have accomplished. Perhaps that can be your motivation to "just do it" when it comes to the "trigger foods"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.