Notices

The horror, the horror!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default The horror, the horror!

I used to love those Arizona drinks in the watermelon and grapeade flavors. I decided I might want one again now and so I looked at the calories on them. 300 calories per can! 300! That's equivalent to more than half a honeydew melon, a big bowl of oatmeal, or an entire frozen dinner. I had no idea how many calories were in those, and I used to consume them on a regular basis!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

I used to drink almost a 2liter of Mt Dew a day. There are 170 calories in a 12 oz can!!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
I used to drink almost a 2liter of Mt Dew a day. There are 170 calories in a 12 oz can!!
I never used to like Mountain Dew until a few years ago but I do now. I'm grateful for the fact that if i really want a soda, there are diet versions available that even though they might not be the healthiest thing on earth at least won't make anybody fat.

I'm glad you were able to kick that habit! Good job!

What gets me about the Arizona drink is that it has more calories than a frozen bean burrito of the kind I used to eat which were only 200 calories.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! I kicked it years ago and surprisingly didn't really lose weight when I stopped drinking it. I switched to Sierra Mist Free and that would be all that I drank all day long. Now that I have stopped that as well and limit myself to one Diet Coke a day and the rest of what I drink is just water and maybe a small glass of 1% milk, that has helped with the losses.

Good for you on looking up the nutrition before going out and buying that Arizona drink.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Thanks! I kicked it years ago and surprisingly didn't really lose weight when I stopped drinking it. I switched to Sierra Mist Free and that would be all that I drank all day long. Now that I have stopped that as well and limit myself to one Diet Coke a day and the rest of what I drink is just water and maybe a small glass of 1% milk, that has helped with the losses.

Good for you on looking up the nutrition before going out and buying that Arizona drink.
Thanks. I think the difference for me now is that I can visualize how much food is in how many calories. If I see a food that is really calorie dense like that with what I would consider to be a small serving size and I can visualize a much bigger portion of a different food for the same 'calorie cost', then it helps me to realize what a 'rip off' that drink is.

My substitution for the Arizona teas are the Lifewater 0 calorie lean machines (they may actually have a few calories, but probably not more than about 5). I like the cherimoya punch and the fuji apple pear. I could drink as many of those as I could in a day and not come close to the calories in just one Arizona, and they have vitamins!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

I can promise you that there are people every day that consume them on a regular basis (along with many other items) and would be shocked if they ever looked at the label. I think most people rather not know, even though it's right in front of their face.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I can promise you that there are people every day that consume them on a regular basis (along with many other items) and would be shocked if they ever looked at the label. I think most people rather not know, even though it's right in front of their face.
Yes it totally changes your outlook on food in general when you know the calorie contents of things, not just the numbers but the amount of food those numbers potentially represent. The calorie content of many things I used to eat shock me.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I used to drink those things all the time - it's tea right? How bad could tea be? Yikes!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I used to drink those things all the time - it's tea right? How bad could tea be? Yikes!
I know I didn't think they were that bad either. I think I might have even read the label before, but until I started food logging, I really didn't know how much food 300 calories equated to, or how many calories I should be eating, etc. so it would have just been a number to me before. Now that I have more of an understanding of these things, the amount of calories is shocking.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I know I didn't think they were that bad either. I think I might have even read the label before, but until I started food logging, I really didn't know how much food 300 calories equated to, or how many calories I should be eating, etc. so it would have just been a number to me before. Now that I have more of an understanding of these things, the amount of calories is shocking.
Isn't FitDay wonderful? It has been such a huge eye-opener for me too. Although I was pretty familiar with total calories, the ability to see what proportion of calories fits into each of the catagories is a huge help. At 1200 cal, which is my target for losing weight, Arizona ice tea is 1/4 of my daily load... and all sugar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.