Notices

Peanut Butter: Kill Your Low-fat Diet?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
FitDay Premium Member

You can now get PB2 which may help some Very little fat and calories - it's "Powdered Peanut Butter" - it's absolutely delicious though, and I definitely recommend trying it!

Seriously tastes just like the real thing, and is definitely very satisfying without all the fat and calories the regular PB's have
Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 PM
FitDay Member

I've been noticing this as well and you just have to realize that because it says "fat" doesn't mean it's all bad. Today I was jarred when I noticed 25% protein and 30% fat. However, this mainly comes from almonds I had eaten. If you're getting your fats from healthy sources then that's a good thing. I've heard in reading and on shows like "The Doctors" that your body uses fats to process certain nutrients, so an extremely low fat diet can actually harm you because you won't be getting the nutrients you need to function. If your fats coming from butter, then I'd worry, but if it's coming from a healthy source like olive oil or nuts, then just look at your calories in vs. calories out, your food log, and give yourself a break. I'm working on that with sugar right now, because for so long I've seen it as the ultimate enemy and this site is helping me to recognize it's really all about calories in vs. calories out. Goodluck to you!
(Just realized you wrote this last year, so probably already been answered or probably not an issue anymore ) Oh well, I'll still post it!
Shawn
Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SHDenver
I've been noticing this as well and you just have to realize that because it says "fat" doesn't mean it's all bad. Today I was jarred when I noticed 25% protein and 30% fat. However, this mainly comes from almonds I had eaten. If you're getting your fats from healthy sources then that's a good thing. I've heard in reading and on shows like "The Doctors" that your body uses fats to process certain nutrients, so an extremely low fat diet can actually harm you because you won't be getting the nutrients you need to function. If your fats coming from butter, then I'd worry, but if it's coming from a healthy source like olive oil or nuts, then just look at your calories in vs. calories out, your food log, and give yourself a break. I'm working on that with sugar right now, because for so long I've seen it as the ultimate enemy and this site is helping me to recognize it's really all about calories in vs. calories out. Goodluck to you!
(Just realized you wrote this last year, so probably already been answered or probably not an issue anymore ) Oh well, I'll still post it!
Shawn
I think it's good to revive old discussions sometimes; we get lots of new folks with new ideas, so thanks, Shawn.

On the issue you brought up, I wholeheartedly agree. I was a veteran "dieter" for years and years and years and I never had success until last year in getting to my goal and keeping it off (with a few pounds variation up and down now and then). I did a couple things differently this time; one was actually incorporating healthy fats into my diet, whereas I had always gone lowfat before. Seriously, one of my family members who is also a serial dieter and I got into an argument about the PB2...I mentioned that for me, it defeats the purpose, because I eat peanut butter for the purpose of putting fat into my diet, so why take the fat out? But she's still fat-phobic, so, there you have it. She's also not real successful, and my personal belief, because I know she exercises and keeps calories well in check, is because her portions of fat and protein are minimal.

Well, that was probably way too much information and soapbox, but it is what it is. YMMV, so take it with a grain of salt. I like freshly ground peanut butter, Smart Balance, or Naturally More, which gives you a protein and fiber boost as well, and I believe extra healthy fats. But I totally hear y'all on the portion control, so if it's a danger food, for goodness sake, take steps to protect yourself!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

There's PB and PB isn't there? Go for the 'nothing added' stuff. Basically, just peanuts made into a paste rather than the PB with added palm oil, sugar, salt etc.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-18-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

yeah!! ... Good stuff. thank you ..
Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

I'd like to try PB2 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it would be a great smoothie mix in.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned

Smile

It truly is elevated in body fat yet it's also really elevated in protein and so in case you are training, it will help anyone build lean muscle and also raise your rate of metabolism. Unless you get significantly work out than the idea likely isn't really recommended yet if you're developing lean muscle and also keeping track of your body fat ingestion you ought to be good slightly peanut butter!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 PM
FitDay Member

Something I really enjoy (delicious) and find useful (healthy and practical).

"Peanut Wheel"

ingredients.... 2 rice cakes (wholewheat low sodium or whatever)
1 teaspoon peanut butter or less if you prefer. (at such a low quantity.. who cares what type it is)

Method:
spread the peanut butter on one rice cake,
put the other rice cake on top.
Enjoy!!!!

This is great for breakfast with milk/fruit/yoghurt as second item, or as a snack (approved or unapproved eating).

On the great peanut debate.. I side with the .....'it's nutritious, easier to control than lose peanuts/nuts, these fats aren't bad fats (vegetarians use it as a key protein source), almond butter does contain better nutrient profile and glycaemic index, and I use that if I can afford it.. 1 teaspoon straight from the jar is also good, especially while waiting for the kettle to boil... include it in your responsible eating plan... brigade

There isn't much to be gained from eating half a jar of it, or indeed any more than twice the recommended portion size.. portion sizes advise the amount that the body can make good use of... any beyond that is treat value only, and any beyond THAT serves no value at all.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

Another vote for PB2 here. The peanuts are pressed which removes much of the fat and OIL !! Oil causes problems for arteries in heart patients such as myself...tastes fine !!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Dragonmaid_Danae
I've heard alot of conflicting information on this subject, and I need some opinions... will the high fat in peanut butter hurt your diet? Or help you?

While I know that most of the fats in peanut butter are good fats, they're still fats. What I'm trying to figure out is if consuming a tablespoon or two when I'm craving will overly hurt my diet. I've found that eating a tablespoon in between lunch and dinner usually keeps me going, so when I'm hungry or craving something salty, I reach for the peanut butter. But I'm afraid this might be hurting my chances of losing the last 5 pounds I want to.

So has anyone else been anywhere near my situation? Or do you use this method also, and it's working well for you? Or making it worse, and need guidance as well?
Peanut butter is quite good and healthy and it also helps to lose weight.Just two table spoons of peanut butter are enough for a healthy living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.