FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Lets talk about Sodium!! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/6033-lets-talk-about-sodium.html)

wildbeanerz 12-29-2011 03:59 AM

Definitely if you can lower your intake that is better than having to drink extra water. Then drinking the water will be for other benefit to your system.

21jamira 12-29-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bigdan2007 (Post 66255)
I think the really solution is to reduce the amount sodium so that you do not need to sweat it out. I have had several follow up visits by a nurse since I got out of the hospital.
She wants me to try and stay below 140 mg.of sodium per serving which is hard to do with todays processed foods . Example salad dressing most have 250-400 mg of sodium per serving.

She suggest diluting them using vinegar (rice wine vinegar). Half bottle of salad dressing topped up with the vinegar reduce the sodium in half. I tried it with Kraft Catalina and it is real good

Ya reducing sodium is definately the way to go however with the holidays.. family dinners.. parties etc... it has been difficult to monitor... we are lamost done with the holidays so back on track I will go... thanks for the input guys!

frenchhen3 12-29-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bigdan2007 (Post 65970)
I have been but on a low sodium diet! Looking for recipes and any suggest to help me succeed.

How Low is your recommendation? 1500mg per day? The raw-er the food the less sodium. Pretty simple.

I have a few lower sodium recipes that I like to cook. One is simply Hamburger meat, brown 1/2 pound of it in a skillet with a small chopped onion (about 1/2 -3/4 cup) and drain it. Put it back in the skillet and add to it a can of NO SALT ADDED diced tomatoes, a cup of high fiber elbow pasta, a cup of water and some seasonings of the Italian variety. (basil, Rosemary, Oregano, etc) Bring this up to a bubble, Lower the temp, cover, and let simmer 15 minutes or until the pasta is soft and cooked the way you like it. I like to add a lot of cracked pepper and those red pepper flakes like you get at the pizza restaurants. This serves about 4 people. If you want to raise the fiber even more add some chick peas or white beans. (try to get the dried kind and plump them and cook them yourself without salt, the canned varieties are salt demons.)

This recipe was and is a very common dinner in our house. It is low budget and easy enough to do when you don't have any energy left. Plus it only uses a half pound of meat to serve 4 people! You can also do it with Mexican seasonings, or really whatever you like!

Vickey Darrell 12-30-2011 12:27 AM

How Low is your recommendation? 1500mg per day? The raw-er the food the less sodium. Pretty simple.

I have a few lower sodium recipes that I like to cook. One is simply Hamburger meat, brown 1/2 pound of it in a skillet with a small chopped onion (about 1/2 -3/4 cup) and drain it. Put it back in the skillet and add to it a can of NO SALT ADDED diced tomatoes, a cup of high fiber elbow pasta, a cup of water and some seasonings of the Italian variety. (basil, Rosemary, Oregano, etc) Bring this up to a bubble, Lower the temp and let simmer 15 minutes or until the pasta is soft and cooked the way you like it. I like to add a lot of cracked pepper and those red pepper flakes like you get at the pizza restaurants. This serves about 4 people. If you want to raise the fiber even more add some chick peas or white beans. (try to get the dried kind and plump them and cook them yourself without salt, the canned varieties are salt demons.)

This recipe was and is a very common dinner in our house. It is low budget and easy enough to do when you don't have any energy left. Plus it only uses a half pound of meat to serve 4 people! You can also do it with Mexican seasonings, or really whatever you like!

I also make this recipe, except I use veggie crumbles (made be Morningstar it is a non meat substitute) I also add garlic.

clarkslp 01-05-2012 05:19 AM

One thing I have recently noticed on fitday is that there are several foods where fitday adds sodium where there shouldn't be any. Typcially I have not worried about sodium but took a look yesterday to see where I was...it told me I had close to 3500mg!

So I walked through my food list. I got to 'rice, brown'. Told me I had 400mg of rice in my 100g serving...but there is really only a trace of sodium in rice. Next up was my squash. Fitday had a whooping 800mg of sodium in my 140g serving. Again, there is little or no sodium in squash.

I have noticed this on a lot of the 'cooked' foods on fitday...they make assumptions that we are adding a ton of sodium and/or fat. When possible I will use the 'raw' food and add whatever fat I used while cooking instead or just using the 'cooked' version. (onions are a good example).

Bottom line, if you are really watching your sodium, make sure fitday is reporting your diet correctly.

RunbikeSki 01-05-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by clarkslp (Post 67238)
One thing I have recently noticed on fitday is that there are several foods where fitday adds sodium where there shouldn't be any. Typcially I have not worried about sodium but took a look yesterday to see where I was...it told me I had close to 3500mg!

So I walked through my food list. I got to 'rice, brown'. Told me I had 400mg of rice in my 100g serving...but there is really only a trace of sodium in rice. Next up was my squash. Fitday had a whooping 800mg of sodium in my 140g serving. Again, there is little or no sodium in squash.

I have noticed this on a lot of the 'cooked' foods on fitday...they make assumptions that we are adding a ton of sodium and/or fat. When possible I will use the 'raw' food and add whatever fat I used while cooking instead or just using the 'cooked' version. (onions are a good example).

Bottom line, if you are really watching your sodium, make sure fitday is reporting your diet correctly.

FD's nutrient numbers are certainly not perfect. I have found any time you use the "cooked" option, FD assumes you have added salt and often some fat. So I always use the "raw" or "uncooked" option and add the salt in (if I use it).

I work out a lot, thus sweat a lot. And I do not eat much processed or fast food. This really keeps my sodium low - in fact too low sometimes and I have to use salt packets on runs to stave off cramps.

frenchhen3 01-05-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by clarkslp (Post 67238)

I've noticed this too.

calicafe 05-28-2014 09:45 PM

As far as I realize there is no change between sweating by doing exercises as well as sweating by only laying close to or inside a spa. We've go through that whenever all of us perspire all of us get rid of sodium as well as We've certainly not observed almost any big difference involving the device. Nevertheless an individual appropriate everyone in the event that I am incorrect...