Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Foods you've liked, foods you've hated...

You've tried some brand new foods by being on your diet/lifestyle change. So what foods did you wind up liking and which ones did you realize you couldn't tolerate (and will never eat/drink them again because they're either so nasty tasting or you got a bad reaction from them)?

I'll start off.

New food I liked: Nutritional Yeast. Found out it's not only healthy, but it has a pleasant cheesy taste.

New food I hated: Agave Nectar. Just plain disgusting tasting. It even smells nasty to me. After trying it 2-3 times, I tossed the jar in the garbage. I'm not in the habit of throwing out foods!

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cool, I'll play.

New foods I liked: Greek yogurt. It's so good, and packs big protein. I'll never eat regular yogurt again! High-fiber low carb tortillas...Ole Extreme Wellness. They're nice and soft and I use them as wraps, with Mexican food, baked, salted and cut up for tortilla chips, and baked with spray butter and cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat. Agave nectar goes on my "like" list. I don't care for it so much "straight" but I use it in margaritas and I love to bake with it.

New foods I hated: La Tortilla Factory high-fiber low carb tortillas. I feel like I'm chewing on wood when I eat these! Flatout Crisps...ditto on the wood. I eat them occasionally, though, cause as a crunchy snack, they're pretty healthy.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
Cool, I'll play.

New foods I liked: Greek yogurt. It's so good, and packs big protein. I'll never eat regular yogurt again! High-fiber low carb tortillas...Ole Extreme Wellness. They're nice and soft and I use them as wraps, with Mexican food, baked, salted and cut up for tortilla chips, and baked with spray butter and cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat. Agave nectar goes on my "like" list. I don't care for it so much "straight" but I use it in margaritas and I love to bake with it.
You've jogged my memory! Oh yeah, Greek yogurt. I've only had it since the lifestyle change, and I've liked it as well. I haven't found a particular flavor or brand yet that makes it stand out above regular yogurt, but once I do, it will probably become more of a favorite for me. Any recommendations?

How did I ever forget the High Fiber Ole Extreme Wellness? Heck, I even mention them in my recipe on this site. Never had them before, and I LOVE them. Have you tried my recipe yet for the chicken, bean, and brown rice? It goes great with these tortillas, especially the sun dried tomato flavored ones.

If I baked, I suppose the agave would be a keeper for me. But I tried it with my iced tea and with oats, and yuck. I suppose it would be a winner in baking however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
New foods I hated: La Tortilla Factory high-fiber low carb tortillas. I feel like I'm chewing on wood when I eat these! Flatout Crisps...ditto on the wood. I eat them occasionally, though, cause as a crunchy snack, they're pretty healthy.
Interesting. I haven't tried La Tortilla brand. Glad I didn't.

Never had Flatout Crisps, doesn't sound too good either unless one is a woodchuck or a beaver.

Thanks for playing!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Trying new fruits and veggies.

I am trying new fruits and veggies. I added mangos, pomagrates recently. Cactus pear was interesting. I came across a really good salad idea; spinach, pear and pomagrate with homemade honey mustard dressing. I find I am cooking more things fresh, instead of buying already prepared foods or take out.
I do get the unsalted corn chips, as I am trying to cut out salt and sugars.

Last edited by bluebonbon; 12-19-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: not a clear idea
bluebonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member

The salad idea sounds really good. And it's always a great idea to cut out salt and sugars.

And welcome to FitDay!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Pu-erh tea - it is supposed to support weight loss - for me it worked that day - I drank a cup and I found the taste so horrible that I wished I never had to drink or eat again.
Kyra2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra2012 View Post
Pu-erh tea - it is supposed to support weight loss - for me it worked that day - I drank a cup and I found the taste so horrible that I wished I never had to drink or eat again.
Have you tried flavored pu-erh teas? I bought the Skinny Chai Pu-erh that Teavana carries and found it was a lot nicer than unflavored pu-erh (which tends to be rather earthy/dirty tasting). I also enjoy mixing it with green tea (I have a lovely green tea with ginger that I drink daily)--it mellows out the odd flavor and you still get the weight-loss benefits of pu-erh, plus all the lovely things that green tea comes with.

Starting over for the last time.
Height: 5'4"
Start Weight: 141 lbs
Current Weight: 139 lbs
1st Goal Weight: 133 lbs (7/21)

2nd Goal Weight: 125 lbs (8/31)
UGW: 115 lbs (11/20)
edahlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member

New Foods I've loved

Mashed Cauliflower - I never need mashed potatotes again

Spaghetti Squash with Marinara - not as good as pasta, but pretty good!

Mangoes - I've always loved them, but I'm eating more of them.

Not really a new food, but enjoying much more often - plain yogurt with fruit cut up in it.

Tzatziki (yogurt and cucumber sauce - it's awesome!)

Dr. Pragers Spinach Pancakes - I try to avoid too many prepared foods, but these make for a quick dinner supplement - next to a piece of fish.

What have I hated?

Fat free balsamic vinegrette - they fill it with sugar, make your own!

The time my husband made chili with way too many peppers - and I like hot food!

Stewart's Diet Root Beer - don't try it - drink water!

This is fun
dear_abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member

New foods I love--Basa....a little lime marinade and thrown on the grill and it was MMMMDelish

New foods I hate--baked sweet potatoes. UGH!!! I was never a sweet potato fan as a child, but our tastes change as we age so I thought what the heck I'll try again. Really wishing I hadn't. It was mushy and bland and just plain G to the ROSS!!

FitDay Start-November 6, 2011
FitDay Starting Weight-255 lbs.
Height-5'4"ish
Age-36

Mini Goal Weight-??
Ultimate Goal Weight-TBD

Current Weight-??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When life throws you curveballs, it's up to YOU to decide whether or not you swing away or go down looking. I'm choosing to swing away.

"JUST KEEP SWIMMING"
Dory-Finding Nemo
ToriD1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Torre - thanks for the advice. I haven't thought of mixing tea, but I I'll give it a try - the tea I got was from a Chinese tea store.
Kyra2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food talk, fun