Notices

Foods you've liked, foods you've hated...

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

New foods I like--Butternut Squash. WHO KNEW!?! I'm not a fan of yellow squash, so I wasn't sure how I'd like it.

Eggplant--I can take it or leave it. Eggplant parm is good, but haven't really found another way that I "like" it.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

I tried to like tilapia. It is an inexpensive eco-friendly fish, and everyone says it is mild, but I have absolutely failed to find a recipe for it that makes it palatable. Mahi Mahi, on the other hand is wonderful!

I am never going to like broccoli, but I have found that broccoli slaw is easy to add to salads and wraps and stir fries, and I find it doesn't bother me at all. I don't think I would go so far as to say I love it, but I keep buying and eating it so I'm taking the win.

I made some oven baked zucchini chips - just thin sliced and spritz with oil - and they turned out to be a hit. Kale chips... not so much. They were a miss. Spaghetti squash took a few tries because the flavor is mild but the smell of it cooking is pretty strong. I learned that microwaving it was a bad thing. The smell of it cooking in the oven was much better. Amazingly my dog loves the stuff so I make extra for him.

Other products I like are Flat Out light italian flatbread
Tam-x-ico's Lo-carb wheat Wrap-itz
Naturally Delicious original barbeque sauce (the only kind I've found without High Fructose Corn Syrup)
Progresso high fiber tomato basil soup
Dreamfield Pastas
and the Chobani yogurt although I was very disappointed in the new apple-cinnamon flavor. I'll stick to strawberry/banana.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA
I tried to like tilapia. It is an inexpensive eco-friendly fish, and everyone says it is mild, but I have absolutely failed to find a recipe for it that makes it palatable. Mahi Mahi, on the other hand is wonderful!
Tilapia is really good, and can be cooked in just about any way you want. I tend to broil it or grill it in an aluminum foil packet. Something about the wood chips in the grill give it a wonderful flavor. It also holds up to about any spices you like. Mahi is really good too, but a little stronger of a fish. Another mild one is Basa Fish. The one place I can order it does it with Key Lime spices and it's WONDERFUL!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Oooh, good topic!

I've always been pretty easy to please when it comes to food. As long as it's not too spicy (I have a sensitivity to cumin and some other spices), I'll eat it.

New things I've come to love:

Greek Yogurt. I admit I buy the flavored ones and take the sugar hit, but I like Chobani, Voskos, Oikos -- one of them is inevitably on sale, so I buy that. My favorite, however, is Fage. The strawberry-goji 0% fat is delicious. One day I'll try to do the stir-berries-into-plain-yogurt thing, but for now, I think the flavored ones are OK. Good protein, low cal.

FlatOut wraps. Light Italian, Rosemary and Olive Oil sandwich wraps, Honey Wheat -- all of the flavors are good. Can't beat it at 90 calories, and I find the flavor better than plain bread. I don't think I've eaten plain bread in months, I just put it in a wrap.

Cauliflower. Who knew?! It's delicious! I haven't tried a cauliflower mash yet, but I'm dying to.

Mushrooms. My father is allergic, so I never had them growing up. Always thought I would hate them. They are completely delicious, and a treat for me when I decide to get them. BF hates them, so it's a touch-and-go sort of thing.

Fresh ingredients in general. Growing up, I had fast food, bland food, or pre-packaged food. I lived that way all the way up until I decided to take control, learn how to cook, and make my own food. After 27 years of pre-packaged meat, cheese, fish, etc., fresh ingredients in general were a wonder of flavor. I don't know how I managed with all that salt!!! Simple stuff still really surprises me even a year after I've started cooking.

Beans! I LOVE BEANS!! Great source of protein and fiber, cheap, and easy! I try to buy dry ones rather pre-canned, but goodness, I eat 'em a few times a week and never get sick of them.

New things I haven't loved...

Flatout Crisps. They might as well be woodchips. Gross. I bought them on a two-for-one special to try them, and I ended up throwing out both bags. What a waste.

Water chestnuts. I find it pretty flavorless, even when put into a stir-fry or putting sauce on it. Something weird about the texture, too. I pick them out of chinese food, lol

No-fat cheese. Not worth the calories for a plastic, chemical taste.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

OMGosh Terri! I love water chestnuts. Their texture is great (to me)! I know you and I both have a thing about textures but I love these!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks you all for the suggetions on fish. I'll need to put those fish on my list of "to try".
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Oh yes! Mashed cauliflower is my absolute favorite! I steam the caulifower in a little skim milk, salt and pepper, then mash. Absolutely delicious, I think I like it better than potatoes!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Foods you've liked, foods you've hated...

OK, been a while, so I'm going to go for another round...

New food I've loved:
Wheat germ! Yeah, this stuff ROCKS! Put some in with your vanilla flavored low fat yogurt and you'll think you were eating cake! It's that good.

New food I've hated: I finally got around to trying PLAIN non fat yogurt. It was the most disgusting thing I've eaten in a long time. It was sour tasting and the flavor was horrible. Yeah I know, I could just add some stevia and some fruit but why bother?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
OMGosh Terri! I love water chestnuts. Their texture is great (to me)! I know you and I both have a thing about textures but I love these!
Hahaha, and they're EVERYWHERE in Asian cooking. I keep trying to like them, but there's something funky about them on my tongue. Texture is everything. I'm glad you like them though!!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Hi

Foods that I like include:
Cottage cheese with a touch of very low-cal jam. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out a combination that I liked. (I tried it plain, with pepper, blended, with canned fruit, etc)
Cooked broccoli (vs raw)
all fruit including apples without the peel (I cannot stand the peel against my teeth!), and bananas (just a small one or a half of one really fills me up)
low fat flavoured cream cheese
Diet Pepsi. It's almost taboo to drink it but I love it and having lost as much weight as I have I don't believe the "diet soda makes you fat" - or at least that doesn't apply to me.

Foods I hate:
Fish. I have tried and tried. I would really like to like canned fish because it's convenient and good for you but I am not a cat .................
Eggs I used to love them as a kid but I think I ate them so much I got sick of them
Celery
Hot beverages - I prefer them cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.