FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   How to get more vitamin D? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/592-how-get-more-vitamin-d.html)

almeeker 03-07-2010 01:06 PM

How to get more vitamin D?

Every day I've been logging my foods on this site, and for the most part by the end of the day I've met all my nutritional requirements except for vitamin D. Besides dairy are there other foods that contain it?

tdiederich 03-07-2010 02:35 PM

One of the best source of Vit D can't be documented on you daily food log. It's Sunshine. We get most of our Vit D from the Sun. With that said, you can also take a multivitamin with Vit D or a Vit D supplement. Some Calcium supplements also have Vit D with them.

:p Tracy :p

jancamp09 03-08-2010 12:35 AM

I was with my daughter at the doctors the other day. The dr told my daughter almost everyone is low on Vitamin D and everyone should take Vitamin D supplement. It's a really cheap vitamin to buy. I've been taking it for a few months now and find that it has helped with some knee joint issues as well.

Amazon2Andes 03-08-2010 01:35 AM

Sunshine, Supplements, and Fortified Foods

I was worried about not getting enough Vit D, too. I did some research, and 10-15 minutes 3 days a week of direct sunshine will give you enough Vit D - you just need your arms and legs exposed, or your back to get enough. Also, most cereals and juices are enriched with Vit D and others that are hard to get.

It is nearly impossible to get it all just from your food, unless it has been enriched. If you arent someplace where it is warm enough to go out in shorts and t shirt, you will likely need a supplement.

Hope that Helps,

Carla

bobbys89 03-08-2010 06:16 AM

fatty fish have a lot

almeeker 03-08-2010 09:14 AM

I live in the frozen north, so not too much chance of me getting out in shorts and t-shirt (without getting hypothermia that is) for at least another month. Although having said that it's almost beautiful today and a balmy 54 degrees. I've been taking a vitamin supplement for years and years, but now that I'm watching every bite I eat I was starting to think that maybe I could skip the vitamin if I'm getting everything I need through diet.

Fatty fish eh? You know somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking whitefish soup had tons. Of course I'm trying to cut the fat out of my diet, so maybe that isn't an option for me either.

Marijanchi7 03-16-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobbys89 (Post 5345)
fatty fish have a lot

120gram of anchovy have 250,2 IU , 24,4% RDA
80 gram of tuna have 200 IU

Marijanchi7 03-16-2010 10:01 AM

anchovy have and:
omega-3 (ALA, EPA, DHA, DPA) 120gram=1,4mcg=54,4%RDA ,
B-12 120 gram=8,2mcg= = 137%RDA

almeeker 03-16-2010 12:37 PM

It's not listed on my favorite can of tuna, I wonder why not? I eat tuna nearly every day for lunch, so maybe I'm getting plenty that isn't showing up on my nutrition chart.

Marijanchi7 03-19-2010 06:02 AM

I find that data in his book: The World's Healthiest Foods

nrh322 03-19-2010 06:11 AM

From what I understand, you can't overdose on Vitamin D (unlike Iron and some of the others). I've seen some things on the news recently saying that it's even better for your immune system that Vitamin C and that they recommend that everyone gets at least 5000mg a day. I've been taking 10,000mg a day for a while now and feeling better than I'd been in a long time. I figure it's safer for me to do that than go out in the sun...I'm outside for just a couple minutes and burn to a crisp.

almeeker 03-19-2010 06:40 AM

I did a internet search for "foods containing vitamin D" and got a pretty comprehensive list. What surprised me is that soy milk specifically Silk brand is fortified with vitamin D and showed up well before vitamin D fortified cow's milk. So in order to get more in my diet, I switched from low-fat coffee creamer to low fat vanilla Silk. Ta-da, more vitamin D in my diet. I'm also upping the nights we eat fish in this house, from once a week only during Lent, to 2 nights a week year round - no whining please. Actually my kids like fish, so it's not a huge issue. The husband on the other hand, only likes a very few kinds of fish, and he doesn't want it too often (the 40 days of Lent is a bit much for him...).

Marijanchi7 03-26-2010 08:45 PM

there is 2 vitamin D : D3 (food) and D2 (sun)
it is posible to overdose with D3 , but you can't eat so much food , it is important if you use suplements of D3

I use sunblock cream in sumer only if we go on beach between 11 h- 17h, usually we go after 18h .. I have fat, so my body storage extra D2 in fat for winter

jdw1969 04-06-2010 01:05 PM

Mushrooms are the only non animal food that naturally contain vitamin D . The studies have not yet shown if levels of vitamin D are improved by eating them, but it is a big study going on right now. Vitamin D supplements are shown to improve levels.