Notices

Is olive oil good for you ?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Is olive oil good for you ?

Does eating olive oil have any health benefits.

I'm a little overweight and need to lose a few pounds. I like butter with my bread in the morning and am thinking of switching to olive oil.

I'm aware that olive oil is much better than butter but is the benefit from switchng from butter.Or does olive oil have properties which improves health?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Benefits/"risk"

Olive oil is generally better for you, versus butter and other dairy products. It's been shown to help with cholesterol balance (dec LDL and inc HDL), and decrease risk of cardiovascular disease. It contains a lot of antioxidants and contains the "good" fats (also it is considered an anti-inflammatory food, I think).

One thing to be careful of is calories. It's much easier to eat a bigger serving size with olive oil than with butter, since you're dipping it, soaking it, etc. You can easily double your calories with the switch. So I'd say measure out your olive oil and make sure you're not increasing your calories... in general, keeping your calories constant, I'd say it is a much healthier choice. (Dairy is just generally not that great for you).

Another option is a dairy-free spread like Earth Balance, which is made from oils and has shown similar cardiovascular benefits.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

If you're a "little" overweight switching from butter to olive oil, calorie for calorie, isn't going to make a more than negligible difference. In the amount required for bread spread or even dipping, the difference is less than a few dozen calories difference between monounsaturated and saturated fat.

If you're switching because of a taste preference, though, then by all means go for it.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

Weight is all about calories. Just find out what you should be eating to maintain your goal weight and eat that or a little less than that.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I don't eat spreads as a habit, but as a treat. A tasty way to enjoy olive oil is on toast with oregano sprinkled on top...delicious!! Make sure you buy a fresh package of oregano so the oils in it are flavorful..ok..now I want some...hahaha
Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Meggietye
I don't eat spreads as a habit, but as a treat. A tasty way to enjoy olive oil is on toast with oregano sprinkled on top...delicious!! Make sure you buy a fresh package of oregano so the oils in it are flavorful..ok..now I want some...hahaha

Great tip! I never thought about this. I've dipped regular italian bread in olive oil before, and it's awesome of course, but since I gave up white bread I never looked back on a substitute. I'm going to try some olive oil on top of some toasted Arnold multigrain, and sprinkle some Braggs Organic Sprinkle on top. My mouth is watering just thinking about this treat.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by baieuehg
Does eating olive oil have any health benefits.
Good question to Google.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by aranki
Good question to Google.
I've found Google to be a very good friend of mine.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

No doubt that olive oil is good for everyone. It has lot of benefits. I use it daily. I suggest everyone to use it without any fear.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Where's the hawkeye?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.