FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Vegetable Benefits for Health (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5827-vegetable-benefits-health.html)

baieuehg 11-29-2011 03:14 AM

Vegetable Benefits for Health

They are extremely rich source of minerals, enzymes, and vitamins. Faulty cooking and prolonged careless storage, however, destroy these valuable nutrients. Most of the vegetables are, therefore, best consumed in their natural raw state in the form of salads.
There are different kinds of vegetables. They may be edible roots, stems, leaves, fruits and seeds. Each group contributes to the diet in its own way.

Rubystars 12-05-2011 04:36 AM

Cooking breaks down the hard cell walls of plants to some degree making nutrients more available and reducing toxins such as those that harm your thyroid in cruciferous vegetables. With all the recalls of produce going on now and then I think it's safer to cook them to kill bacteria too.

I still eat raw fruit and some vegetables raw but I wash them very, very well.

Overall I think cooking is the way to go until I stop seeing so many recalls of contaminated produce.

I even got concerned enough to heat up melon a little in the microwave before eating a couple of times because of all the people getting sick from eating tainted melons.

frenchhen3 12-05-2011 01:11 PM

Do you live in a place where you can grow some of your own? There are some varieties of Lettuce and tomatoes that you can grow indoors in a container!

Edan125 12-14-2011 01:05 PM

Hi dear,

Vegetables are very beneficial for the health.
These keep us fit an d active.
These control the cholesterol level.
Raw green vegetables are very effective for burning the fat.

volleyballgranny 12-16-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubystars (Post 64225)
Cooking breaks down the hard cell walls of plants to some degree making nutrients more available and reducing toxins such as those that harm your thyroid in cruciferous vegetables. With all the recalls of produce going on now and then I think it's safer to cook them to kill bacteria too.

I still eat raw fruit and some vegetables raw but I wash them very, very well.

Overall I think cooking is the way to go until I stop seeing so many recalls of contaminated produce.

I even got concerned enough to heat up melon a little in the microwave before eating a couple of times because of all the people getting sick from eating tainted melons.

I use Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) on all raw fruits and veggies. Because of colon problems, I am not supposed to eat ANY raw fruits and veggies--though a couple of the doctors said I could eat salad once in a while. If I eat it more than two days in a row, I start having colon problems. I have learned to fix the salad and then microwave it for about 20-30 seconds--this starts the digestive process before I even put it in my mouth (where more of the digestive process takes place--so chew very well).

PS: The salmonella (etc) is on the peel of the melon. If you wash it carefully (with a soft brush and GSE mixture), you should not have to worry about cooking it. I do that with everything that requires me to cut through the skin--apples, avocados, melons, etc.

01gt4.6 01-31-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massin (Post 71003)
Vegetables are best food for health. Vegetables are low calories food which are good for weight lose. Vegetables are natural food and have lot of carbohydrates which are good for health.

You're very active for a new posted.

calicafe 05-29-2014 09:42 AM

Do you are in a spot and develop a number of of your family? There are some types of Lettuce along with garlic you can develop indoors within a pot!