FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Don't blame the turkey damn it! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5796-dont-blame-turkey-damn.html)

01gt4.6 11-23-2011 03:47 AM

Don't blame the turkey damn it!

The poor bird gets a bad rap, year after year. You know that as soon as your back hits the sofa you'll be crying about how the turkey is making you tired. "It's the tryptophan..." blah, blah, blah. The bird already gave his life for you, don't blame him for it!

Could it be that you are carb crashing on mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, mac & cheese, dressing, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, etc. that you just shoveled in your pie hole? Yes.

So tomorrow as soon as you lay back down, I beg you, jump back up and scream "DAMN YOU... PECAN PIE, MASKED POTATOES & DRESSING IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT... and my own, BUT NOT THE TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!"

RunbikeSki 11-23-2011 04:09 AM

hahaha
I blame the stuffing every year! I don't want to eat it, but it sits there tempting me with it's savory, carb loaded goodness:p

VitoVino 11-23-2011 04:12 AM

I agree, turkeys get a bad rap. It's not fair. If someone really stinks at something right away they're made out to be a "turkey". And their cousin, the chicken, gets a bad rap as well. To be called a "chicken" is not a good thing.

To everybody that puts them down I flip the bird. :D

taubele 11-23-2011 04:25 AM

So many foods contain tryptophan that it's not even funny, anyway. PLUS, tryptophan will really only get absorbed in any appreciable amount in your brain if taken on an empty stomach.... and eating turkey kind of disqualifies that ;) The amount you take in during thanksgiving is negligible.

It's totally the carb-crash and overstuffing yourself which makes you sleepy - a full stomach draws blood away from your brain and limbs and makes you drowsy.

Don't blame the healthiest thing on your plate!!!

wildbeanerz 11-23-2011 04:40 AM

I'm going to try to load up on the turkey breast and just a touch of the sides and see how that works out. At least we aren't eating until about 5pm so I won't eat it all for lunch and again later that day for leftovers. And back to work Friday so not picking at leftovers all day.

I like to do the dishes and clean up the kitchen before going to sit down after a big meal so I think that helps to keep off the sleepies. At least for a little while.

01gt4.6 11-23-2011 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 63291)
hahaha
I blame the stuffing every year! I don't want to eat it, but it sits there tempting me with it's savory, carb loaded goodness:p

It's sooo hard to resist!

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 63292)
I agree, turkeys get a bad rap. It's not fair. If someone really stinks at something right away they're made out to be a "turkey". And their cousin, the chicken, gets a bad rap as well. To be called a "chicken" is not a good thing.

To everybody that puts them down I flip the bird. :D

I love it, flip 'em the bird!!!

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 63297)
So many foods contain tryptophan that it's not even funny, anyway. PLUS, tryptophan will really only get absorbed in any appreciable amount in your brain if taken on an empty stomach.... and eating turkey kind of disqualifies that ;) The amount you take in during thanksgiving is negligible.

It's totally the carb-crash and overstuffing yourself which makes you sleepy - a full stomach draws blood away from your brain and limbs and makes you drowsy.

Don't blame the healthiest thing on your plate!!!

Terri, you are so smart, and so right. :)

mecompco 11-23-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 63301)
I'm going to try to load up on the turkey breast and just a touch of the sides and see how that works out.

I agree. My sister is making turducken, I've never tried it, but meat, wrapped in meat, surrounded by meat can't be bad. I'll have a modest dollop of stuffing, mashed potatoes and perhaps a biscuit and call it good. My sister makes an awesome apple pie, but once again, I will decline. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Michael

VitoVino 11-23-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 63331)
I agree. My sister is making turducken, I've never tried it, but meat, wrapped in meat, surrounded by meat can't be bad. I'll have a modest dollop of stuffing, mashed potatoes and perhaps a biscuit and call it good. My sister makes an awesome apple pie, but once again, I will decline. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
Michael

That doesn't sound like any cheating from a man who has lost a man in weight. But you know your limitations. Enjoy your Thanksgiving as well.

By the way, I first read that turducken and I honestly couldn't figure out what you were saying. :D But it sounds like some good $#!+ :D

01gt4.6 11-23-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 63337)
That doesn't sound like any cheating from a man who has lost a man in weight. But you know your limitations. Enjoy your Thanksgiving as well.

By the way, I first read that turducken and I honestly couldn't figure out what you were saying. :D But it sounds like some good $#!+ :D

I've had it, it's awesome. It's a turkey stuffed with a boneless duck that's stuffed with a boneless chicken. IIRC the turkey may be boneless too, not sure though.

RunbikeSki 11-23-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 63339)
I've had it, it's awesome. It's a turkey stuffed with a boneless duck that's stuffed with a boneless chicken. IIRC the turkey may be boneless too, not sure though.

I've always wanted to try it. And Michael's description makes it even more enticing:p