Notices

Alcohol and Food Talk

Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

I am like you rbs... or like you use to be. I drink sometimes when I am making dinner. I have my music playing and watching the sunset over the ocean and it is great. I'm lucky that alcohol does not make me hungry. It's the opposite for me. Once I start eating the taste of the wine changes for me. All in moderation I guess.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

I used to have a glass or two of wine at the end of a hard day too, not every day, but anywhere from 1 to 3 nights a week. Maybe it's the extra sunshine, maybe the exercise is doing what it's supposed to, but I just haven't felt the "need" lately. Turning down a margarita when we're out for dinner....that's harder to do.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! I can really identify with this thread. I like a glass of wine while cooking and one or two more afterwards. Alcohol make me hungry too, so the calories really add up fast. I have tried in the past to diet, exercise, but still enjoy a glass or two of wine and I saw little if any progress. This week I decided to get more serious. I joined this site to track my food, added 15 more minutes of cardio to my workout and haven't had any wine all week! It hasn't been too tough until today, Friday...I kinda feel like I deserve some, but I'm not doing it. I told myself I can have a few drinks (two) this weekend and that's it. I saw a bit of progress on the scale this morning so that has to be my motivation.

Sharon
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcom Sharon

I have to say, of all the threads, this one has been the most surpising. I don't know why I thought I was the only one with these thoughts and experiences, but I did. So, seeing how many of us share the same experience and insights has be quite an eye opener. Thank-you all for sharing!

Sometimes there is a little shame involved when we realize that we are drinking more than is "recommended" or "healthful" (How many of you have fudged the alcohol consumtion questions on health questionairs? - I certainly have.) But reading your stories about taking charge is quite inspirational. Thank-you Ilikechocolate for initiating it.

Ilikebeer&wine (aka Pam)
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I have to say, of all the threads, this one has been the most surpising. I don't know why I thought I was the only one with these thoughts and experiences, but I did. So, seeing how many of us share the same experience and insights has be quite an eye opener. Thank-you all for sharing!

Sometimes there is a little shame involved when we realize that we are drinking more than is "recommended" or "healthful" (How many of you have fudged the alcohol consumtion questions on health questionairs? - I certainly have.) But reading your stories about taking charge is quite inspirational. Thank-you Ilikechocolate for initiating it.

Ilikebeer&wine (aka Pam)
Here Here!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
FitDay Member

Glad that others found this thread helpful!

I just looked up the calories in my favorite beer, Hoegaareden. 176 calories per beer! Yikes, I had two a few days ago! I was also so hungover the next day that I didn't make the best food choices. Another reason to sip soda water when going out.

The good thing is that it gave me reason to say, if I make this choice, this will happen. So if I choose to have a a beer (or two) I will feel bad the next day and possibly get sidetracked from my goals. But if I choose not to, I will feel good the next day and possibly make better food choices.

Not to say that drinking is bad within itself, I just noticed I feel better when I don't.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

I realize no one has made a post since feb. but Im new here and SO GLAD I found this thread! I love red wine at night...and the sweeter the better. bring on the italian koolaid! My problem is not that it makes me hungry, its that my wine glasses have turned to goblets over the past few years and those "2 glasses of wine" are NOT the recommended 4oz that a glass of wine is supposed to be! So Im cutting back. ALOT. I havent been drinking every night anymore and when I do im trying to keep it 2 1 real serving of wine. Last time I was dieting and thought I wanted a drink I made a 1 jigger of vodka and 1 lime wedge and seltzer water (sodium free) and that did the trick. cant afford any good vodka these days tho...I guess If i feel i want alcohol THAT BADLY I have other problems though lol...dont we all...anyways, im just really glad I found other people that are having difficulties with alcohol in their diets. This forum was good for me to read.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi FN,
Thanks for bringing this thread back. Last weekend I really went off the wagon. (It had been a stressful week - as if I really needed an excuse ) Friday night I reverted to my old habit of 3 beers plus a port nightcap. I really felt the effects the next day, but still had 2 LARGE glasses of wine Sat. night. Man, they sure tasted good at the time, but Sunday, again, I paid the price.

I keep trying to remind myself how I will feel the next day when confronted with the do-I-do, or do-I-don't question. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't, especially when DH opens a lovely bottle of shiraz and puts it on the dinner table .

Baby steps...baby steps

Be well, all

Pam
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation

Hi everyone hasnt been a post on here for a while but i just wanted to have my say on the whole alcohol and dieting issue. Ive hot to admit that a drink actually helps me not consume so much food. I eat less and as a result actually lose more weight then a weekend without the drink. I do only drink spirits though with lots of diet coke-usually vodka,rum or my favourite malibu(although its really sweet its only worth half a point a pub measure! It totally puts me off food for the whole day and the next so i see it as an advantage. If i dont drink on a weekend which i havent since january i snack more and dont lose weight which is totally the case. Health wise its great not to have it for the sake of my liver and hangovers but obesity also affects health. I dont feel guilty after a drink cos i know its low cal and it speeds my weight loss which helps my moods. Whatever suits but i do make sure i have a healthy meal before i start-so im not being sick. Health is more important and i only drink a couple once a month now instead of too much every weekend. I admit though i do miss it but only for weight loss sake but im used to it now and learning new ways to lose weight steadily without the need for alcohol!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Green with envy

Boy, I sure wish I was you Tracy. Although I have to admit I do understand the logic in how alcohol could replace snacking, you are wise to cut back for other reasons. Did you find that you had to change your social life to drop the weekend drinking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.