Notices

McCormick

Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default McCormick

I have found that McCormick has mixes and seasonings that helps me make the best classic foods without the fat. I just recently used their beef stroganoff mix with lean beef on whole wheat noodles and it was delicious. Took me back to those flavors that I use to have with the thick cream and lots of butter. I used a low fat sour cream and it was fantastic. They also have seasonings you can mix with vegetables to give it a better taste. Much healthier than adding butter to give it some flavor. Things like this has helped me keep going on my diet. I have allowed myself a treat now and then but have kept under 1600 calories a day. Ahhh to eat healthy and have flavor!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Wanda! I'm glad to see you are keeping with it! I was actually wandering about you this morning and was tempted to send you a PM to see how you were doing. It's so exciting when we find something that tastes good and fits within out plans!! Don't be a stranger.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

It's good to hear you're making good progress, Wanda. Like you, when I first started tracking my calories on FitDay I didn't pay any attention to sodium as it was low on my list of priorities. If/when you decide to track this mineral you may be shocked to learn just how much of it is in those McCormick's and how much you consume daily.

When I didn't care, just started tracking, I found I was getting around 5-6K mg. of Na per day. Now I've gotten it down to around 2,600 but that's still a lot and I continue making changes to bring it down further.

In the mean time, keep focussing on your macros and calories like you're doing. Congrats on your progress!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Wanda, I've never tried those McCormick season packages, mostly because we try to keep the sodium down around here for my husband's heart condition. I started out making my usual recipe for beef stroganoff only substituting the sour cream for the fat free sour cream, which was very good, but even better than that was to use fat free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It's thicker than the fat free sour cream and adds a ton of protein to it. I've made it for myself a few times and actually skipped the beef, just creamy noodles with mushrooms and peas, super yummy and serious comfort food. For butter I often use "I can't believe it's not butter spray". It's the perfect thing for veggies, butter taste without calories.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
For butter I often use "I can't believe it's not butter spray". It's the perfect thing for veggies, butter taste without calories.
One of my favorites as well. Great taste, low/no calories, minimal sodium. Great on air popped popcorn too.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Mc Cormick spices are a nice pick me up to foods and I use 1/2 the package so that i can reduce the sodium.
Still gives turkey meatloaf a bit of bling!