Notices

very EASY salad. What's yours?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default very EASY salad. What's yours?

okay this may sound strange, BUT i've come across some VERY strange food combos since losing weight. for this salad just need 3 things. tuna, spinach & left over rice. I take ½ a cup of rice & heat it up for about a min, add it in a bowl with about 1 cup of torn up baby spinach & 2 oz (or whatever portion you’d like) tuna, sprinkle some nice balsamic vinegar over it. Toss everything easy salad that surprised me I found tasty. Of course you could add other veggies, but when home for lunch I look for quick & fast.

Anyone else have any interesting salad ideas they’d like to share?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

I add canned beans to my salads, doesn't really matter what kind, I change it up often. Sometimes kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, whatever. Northern beans come out kinda mushy tho. I rinse a can, throw a half cup on my salad, put the rest in tupperware in the fridge. I get about 3 salads from one can. Add some grape tomatoes, sometimes 1/2 avocado, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds or crispy rice noodles like what you put on Chinese food, just a little for crunch. I use the bag salads, usually baby spinach or spring mix-the dark greens are a lot more healthy and more flavor than plain lettuce. A little vinagrette on top. I have to have some protein or something of substance for a salad to stick with me-that's why the beans. Or if there's some leftover chicken from dinner that works too. Tuna is easy now that they make those pouches.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

great idea about the beans. i agree dark leafy greens all the way. those bagged ones are so handy.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM
FitDay Member

I often look in the fridge and just toss whatevers in there on top of greens...
cottage cheese, mixed beans, sometimes fruits, tuna, my newest find is a bag of broccoli slaw..its already cut into matchsticks..I open the bag and put about a large handful mixed with greens....I belive its a mixture of carrots, red cabbage, and broccoli. its very good..nutritous and quick and easy!
Have you tried lettuce wraps? Ive seen them before adn just bought some to try...Ive put bean salad,,tuna...or egg salad inside them...no extra calories to add to your wrap!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

ohhhh i have to look for broccoli slaw!!! sounds like i would love it. i always forget about lettuce wraps, but a good way to mix it up & again very easy.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Broccoli Slaw

My mother-in-law makes cole-slaw with an Asian type dressing, it's yummy but way fattening. She makes the dressing with oil, sugar, soy sauce, ginger and vinegar and tosses the slaw with roasted slivered almonds and butter roasted ramen noodles. I love it, but I should maybe never eat it again. Anyway not long ago I was hungry for that stuff, so I took a couple of stalks of broccoli put them through my Kitchen Aide shredder and tossed them with Kraft Asian Vinegarette dressing. Over that I sprinkled sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and a diced up orange. It was way yummy and had only a fraction of the calories of MIL's version. I like the bagged broccoli slaw too, but hey if you already have the stalks in the refrigerator why toss them out when you can shred them up and make a great little salad?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Mine aren't very weird, I guess... but I like taco salad- I do leftover brown rice, some shredded cheddar, baked tortilla chips, black beans, salsa for dressing, some cukes...

I am vegetarian and have been throwing 3 soy chicken nuggets (chopped up really small) on a garden salad. I am not a salad person but I could eat this every day. I am actually sad when it is all gone.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 AM
FitDay Member

great ideas everyone. mental note must find brocolli slaw in the produce section.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

the mention of lettuce wraps brought this to mind- i use medium sized romaine leaves, spread a Tbsp or so of homemade or store bought hummus, top with a couple oz tuna, and whatever veggies: onion, cucumber, red pepper - put all the fillings down the rib of the leaf then fold the leafy sides around it - like a lettuce burrito - i find using the hummus (especially flavored ones) i don't need additional dressing
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

My salads are pretty boring but I like a mix of lettuces, slices of red pepper, hard boiled eggs and some home-made croutons... very tasty!