Notices

Coconut Water

Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Coconut Water

Hello everyone! While perusing my local grocery store, I noticed a new product which marketed itself to have more potassium than a banana with less carbohydrates & calories. I have heard of coconut milk before, but not coconut water!

Has anyone heard of or researched coconut water? Would you mind pro/con-ing it? Has anyone cooked with it?

Thank you for your time!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Good tip. I've added coconut water to the list of high K low cal foods. It's a winner!

There's an article about it, although they play up "metabolism". Basically it's not any different than water when it comes to metabolism.

How Drinking Pure Coconut Water Can Help You Shed Pounds / Fitness / Weight Loss
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Good tip. I've added coconut water to the list of high K low cal foods. It's a winner!

There's an article about it, although they play up "metabolism". Basically it's not any different than water when it comes to metabolism.

How Drinking Pure Coconut Water Can Help You Shed Pounds / Fitness / Weight Loss
Thanks!! I think that this could be a great thing to replace all these fancy sugar-filled "sports" drinks!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Thanks!! I think that this could be a great thing to replace all these fancy sugar-filled "sports" drinks!

In my opinion, if you're working out for a few hours or more, then the sports drinks can be beneficial to have along with you. I used to use Gatoraid all the time when only biking for an hour or two. But it adds weight, because like you said, the sugars. Plus the sodium to potassium ratio is way off, not in the correct balance. Now I just drink water, and I sweat so much I can wring my shirts out when done. Yet I never cramp, never feel like my electrolytes are depleted.

It's all about your diet, and your pre-workout exercise meal as well as your post exercise meal. You should be getting plenty of Na daily, no problem, the trick is to be getting enough K. Your coconut water will help you with that.

But also be sure to monitor your magnesium! It's one of the micronutrients toughest to get in the diet and it's essential to good endurance. Look at your sports drinks and see how many of them contain magnesium. I know some do at least.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Coconut water is the liquid found in unripe coconuts. It is definitely not a replacement for coconut milk when it is called for in recipes.

It is, however, a great sports drink. As Vino pointed out most sports drinks do not really have much in the electrolye profile (even though many advertise it). Drinking coconot water is basically water inhansed with potassium and a small portion of a number of other essential minerals.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

A friend of mine who is a personal trainer and is very very healthy. He boils his rice in coconut water then adds any veggies... he swears by it and I have tried it and it was very yummy adds a lil flavour to plain rice.