Anybody using Agave Nectar?

Community
Notices

Anybody using Agave Nectar?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Anybody using Agave Nectar?

What do you think about it?

I just tried it for the second time. It tastes kinda weird, and it's the "light" version. Not sure if I can get used to this stuff, it's used to sweeten my morning grits.

Does anybody use this stuff and like the taste, or do you think it just becomes tolerable after you get used to it?

The only good thing about that I can tell is that it doesn't spike blood sugar.

I've also read that it has a high amount of high fructose corn syrup in it, but luckily at least the brand I'm using is organic so it's not a concern about GMO. I don't think 1 teaspoon of HFCS is going to hurt me now and then, especially since one soda pop contains about 8 teaspoons (that was mostly given up years ago for the most part).

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

I just use sweet and low for sweetener on most things. I think Sweet Grits sounds kind of strange personally though. Usually they are savory where I'm from.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

I use agave nectar in baking (and margaritas, lol). I'm not fond of the taste of it in my tea, and that's the only thing I sweeten without mixing or baking. I don't like the chemicals in artificial sweeteners, but that's an individual choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Not sure where you see HFCS in agave nectar. It is high in fructose, yes, but it's definitely not the engineered stuff HFCS is. It is a natural sweetener that does not spike your blood sugar anywhere near what sugar does, as you said.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

Strawberries are too sour to eat plain unless I happen to get a good batch which I do sometimes, so I usually sweeten them with sweet and low. I can't use sugar because that will add a bunch of unecessary calories. Honey while healthier also adds calories. Stevia's expensive. Saccharin has been on the market a really long time and people's heads haven't exploded from eating it yet so I think it's fairly safe. I'm hoping the anti-oxidant benefits from the berries and other relatively healthy food I use it on would outweigh any minor toxins in it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I just use sweet and low for sweetener on most things. I think Sweet Grits sounds kind of strange personally though. Usually they are savory where I'm from.
I stay away from artificial sweeteners.

"Sweet Tea" to me is strange. I drink my Luzianne homemade tea with 1 packet of Stevia In The Raw for 2 quarts. That's enough sweetness.

If you've never tried your grits with a touch of brown sugar, you're missing out. I add a touch to my 1/4 cup of grits, along with 1/4 tsp. No Salt, and 2 tsp. of ICBINB Lite. It's a real treat for me and something I don't eat that often because I do add some sugar (and this is one of those non negotiable meals for me).

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Not sure where you see HFCS in agave nectar. It is high in fructose, yes, but it's definitely not the engineered stuff HFCS is. It is a natural sweetener that does not spike your blood sugar anywhere near what sugar does, as you said.
You got me. I should have said that the high fructose in agave nectar is made by the same process as HFCS. In fact, the amount of fructose in agave nectar is actually higher than in HFCS.

Since this posting I tried Agave nectar again. This stuff just plain grosses me out. It smells bad and tastes just as bad as it smells. Plus the FitDay articles on it are all over the map. One article says it's got benefits, another warns against its dangers. I'm tossing this junk in the trash.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ve-nectar.html

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ve-nectar.html

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Stevia's expensive.
True. And it's powerful. I added two packets (which supposedly equals 4 tsp. of sugar) to 2 quarts of brewed iced tea and it was way too sweet for me. I cut it back to 1 packet and it's pretty good, still a bit sweet. I like to add just enough to my black iced tea to take the tannin edge off. So since I'm using one packet per 2 quarts of tea, even though Stevia is expensive it goes a long way for me.