Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio) >

High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio)

Notices

High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio)

Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

What are these two?

"Original No Salt" Na free alternative: Off the chart! 650 mg K and ZERO calories per 1/4 tsp.

Beet Greens: 34.64 mg/cl [1524 mg K; 7 g fib; 9 g cb; 44 cl]

Are beet greens the stalk and leaves above the beets? Do they actually sell those or do you have to buy it with beets? I had been eating swiss chard for potassium but it is hard to keep a constant supply of it as I have to eat a whole bundle a day and sometimes it is too big or small. Do they sell potassium supplements like they do multi vitamins? If so about what % of daily value per capsule? I finally put my multi vitamin into a custom food and the only things I need are vitamin A, potasium and magnesium but that is at 99%. The Vitamin A for my multi vitamin is 70% but Fitday shows it as less, not sure why.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
FitDay Member

"Original No Salt" is my secret weapon! It's potassium salt, KCl. That's the brand name. I found it at Walmart where the regular salt is located. I call it a secret weapon because I can add 1/4 tsp of this to my Low Salt V8 juice (8 oz.) and wind up getting a whopping 1500 Mg. of potassium in a mere 50 calories.

I hear ya about "beet greens". Personally I've never seen them, but I haven't looked either. But they are listed in the database here. And yes, apparently they are the green part of the beet:

Beet greens:

Swiss chard is a pain. Too expensive, a pain to cook it down. I get a whopping 5 grams of potassium a day just by eating a sweet potato, frozen broccoli, a few bananas, and possibly some "No Salt" sprinkled on some foods. I've also switched to raw spinach salads. That's it, raw spinach and Newman's Own mild salsa (extremely low calorie and very low sodium).

I used to do Potassium supplements, but now since I've changed my eating habits I don't need them any more. They are 99 mg. per tablet due to the government not wanting anyone to overdose if they accidentally take an entire bottle. Potassium in high levels all at once can stop your heart.

If you start eating sweet potatoes you won't have any problem with your vitamin A at all either.

As far as magnesium, very wise to be monitoring it. Do a tag search for magnesium and you'll find some tips on how to get more.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
"Original No Salt" is my secret weapon! It's potassium salt, KCl. That's the brand name. I found it at Walmart where the regular salt is located. I call it a secret weapon because I can add 1/4 tsp of this to my Low Salt V8 juice (8 oz.) and wind up getting a whopping 1500 Mg. of potassium in a mere 50 calories.

I hear ya about "beet greens". Personally I've never seen them, but I haven't looked either. But they are listed in the database here. And yes, apparently they are the green part of the beet:

Beet greens:

Swiss chard is a pain. Too expensive, a pain to cook it down. I get a whopping 5 grams of potassium a day just by eating a sweet potato, frozen broccoli, a few bananas, and possibly some "No Salt" sprinkled on some foods. I've also switched to raw spinach salads. That's it, raw spinach and Newman's Own mild salsa (extremely low calorie and very low sodium).

I used to do Potassium supplements, but now since I've changed my eating habits I don't need them any more. They are 99 mg. per tablet due to the government not wanting anyone to overdose if they accidentally take an entire bottle. Potassium in high levels all at once can stop your heart.

If you start eating sweet potatoes you won't have any problem with your vitamin A at all either.

As far as magnesium, very wise to be monitoring it. Do a tag search for magnesium and you'll find some tips on how to get more.
Thanks for the info I'll look for KCI and low sodium V8, 1500 mg of potassium is about 32% daily value which should do the trick and if I eat a sweet potato on top of it I'll have 47% (15%). Now I am still wondering why my custom food for my multi vitamin does not show up in the nutrition section (where all the RDA% vitamins and minerals are) properly. I put the food as 70% daily value for vitamin A like it says on the package but when I go to the nutrition tab I only get 34%. I should probably browse around the forum but I have another quick question and that is how much fiber should a 19 year old male get? My current diet I get about 30g of fiber from beans and a fiber cereal. I am not sure if there are different kinds of fiber or if I should get it from multiple sources thru out the day and not all at once or a lot at once (I get it at breakfast and lunch).
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by derpderpderp1
Now I am still wondering why my custom food for my multi vitamin does not show up in the nutrition section (where all the RDA% vitamins and minerals are) properly. I put the food as 70% daily value for vitamin A like it says on the package but when I go to the nutrition tab I only get 34%.
This permalink will explain it (Post #6): http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post68619

And while your at it, go over that thread thoroughly.

Originally Posted by derpderpderp1
I should probably browse around the forum but I have another quick question and that is how much fiber should a 19 year old male get? My current diet I get about 30g of fiber from beans and a fiber cereal. I am not sure if there are different kinds of fiber or if I should get it from multiple sources thru out the day and not all at once or a lot at once (I get it at breakfast and lunch).
There's soluble and insoluble fiber. I don't worry about the proportions I'm getting, I just shoot for around 40 grams a day. This is a good resource:

The difference between soluble and insoluble fiber | Healthy Answers | Natural Health News | | Healthy Answers

How much should you get? This link is found on the above FAQ's thread:

Daily Values (DVs)

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Vito, I'm confused by some of the red letter numbers ??? Would you please explain your numbers that are in red. Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

David,

The nutritional values in red are what percentage of that nutrient you have eaten. It's red until you get to 100% of the daily recommended values and then the color turns green. So you may show 68% in red for calcium and then eat a large spinach salad with broccoli and the next time you check the calcium reading could show 102% on green.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Banned

Potassium is an essential nutrient used to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body.Potassium from natural food sources are considered safe and healthy.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Hi I'm new to this forum

Does anyone know the recommended daily banana allowance? I know they are rich in potassium but I fear I may be overloading on bananas. I have 10 a week:

2 a day...4 times a week
1 a day...twice a week
And I miss a day on a Sunday when I have a big dinner and don't need one haha.

The days which I eat two a day I do exercise vigorously and need them to energise me before a workout. I also eat a kiwi and an apple and a bunch of grapes every day as well as drink a high amount of milk (semi-skimmed) per day. Is this bad for me?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't coffee a good source of potassium also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.