Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio) >

High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio)

Community
Notices

High Potassium - Low Calories Food List (K:calories ratio)

Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Potassium Content of Foods (K:calories ratio)... and the winner is...

So the winner, at least for now, appears to be Swiss Chard. I just made some (organic). Boiled, no salt. It was good. Tasty enough plain, just boiled for 3 minutes. The problem is, it's a little work to be preparing this veggie just for the potassium content. And it's expensive for the amount you get after preparing.

That's why I prefer raw spinach added to my salads. So although chard tops the charts, I think spinach is the real winner here for anyone looking for a low calorie way to increase their potassium.

Other easy ways to increase potassium levels are adding some fresh mushrooms to your iceberg lettuce salad, or placing some in with a tomato (whole grain) sandwich.

Of course V8 is still high on my list.

I eat a lot of frozen broccoli since I find it easier that slicing up the fresh, plus it lasts a long time.

Cantaloupe is an excellent way to get more K, and it's reasonably priced.

Of course raw carrots reign king when it comes to fiber, potassium, and magnesium.

Dried apricots are good for long bike rides or hikes for not only the K, but for the natural carbs.

Frozen peaches added to your banana-whey protein smoothie will add even more potassium.

So, there ya go! Again, if I've omitted something or you have some other ideas/foods just let me know and I'll update this list!

Cheers!

NOTE: Banana is the cutoff. I'm not really interested in listing all the foods BELOW bananas, the ones listed are just for convenient reference. But I will and have listed everything I could find ABOVE bananas.

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-10-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added note clarification about list
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default References for High Potassium Low Calorie Foods List

The list got so long that I reached a character limit. So here are the references that were used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REFERENCES:

Here are the sites used (along with the FitDay database for the calculations):

High Potassium Low Calorie Foods List , Nutrition Facts Rich Foods Chart -- e-Tools Age

Potassium Content Of Foods List - Care Guide

Top 10 Foods Highest in Potassium

WHFoods: potassium

Micronutrients

List of Best Foods High In Potassium - Top List at ListZe

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food...sium-foods.htm

POTASSIUM-BEST POTASSIUM SOURCES-FOODS RICHEST IN POTASSIUM-HIGH POTASSIUM FOODS-BEST FOODS FOR POTASSIUM

Food List High In Potassium | GoutPal Interactive Gout Support

[sausage link removed]

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-10-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added another reference
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Many thanks for all your time and the extra effort, sir. Very useful.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Potassium Rich Foods (K:calories ratio)

Green tea added to list! Yet another reason to be drinking green tea!

Nutritional information found here: Green Tea Nutrition Facts

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-10-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added title so it shows up under google searches
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Foods Highest in Potassium (K:calories ratio)

We have a NEW WINNER in the natural foods category!

BEET GREENS!

Whoa, look at that ratio!

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-10-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added title so thread shows up in google searches
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM
FitDay Member

Is Durian more than bananas? I think it is and most Asian grocery stores sell it.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default High Potassium Foods (K:calories ratio)

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Is Durian more than bananas? I think it is and most Asian grocery stores sell it.
Good question, thanks for asking. I checked out durian the other day when it came up in conversation. It's not as good as regular bananas but it's right under green peas so it's still pretty good.

It's been added to the list due to it's popularity.

If you're looking at lower carbs and more fiber, an avocado would be the better choice around that ratio range, but nobody picks out fruit that way, do they?

Keep 'em coming! The list can only get better.

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-10-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: added title so this thread shows up under google searches
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Vito, I must say that adding green tea, Niacin and potassium supplements to my daily intake has kicked my loses back up a notch. Averaging almost two pounds a week again. That includes a day here or there at the 2k level, and perhaps a couple equal to my calculated daily burn (2400). Not bad for being 16 months into this and not having gotten back into my daily exercise routine.

Thanks for sharing your research!

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Potassium-Rich Foods (K:calories ratio)

Originally Posted by mecompco
Vito, I must say that adding green tea, Niacin and potassium supplements to my daily intake has kicked my loses back up a notch. Averaging almost two pounds a week again. That includes a day here or there at the 2k level, and perhaps a couple equal to my calculated daily burn (2400). Not bad for being 16 months into this and not having gotten back into my daily exercise routine.

Thanks for sharing your research!

Regards,
Michael

How awesome is that! And THANK YOU for the feedback! I've been "swearing" by this green tea for some time now. ALL the articles I've read say, as fact, that it helps with weight loss. The niacin is also a proven winner. I can't say that potassium 'aids' in weight loss, I haven't seen anything like that, but since it's such a key player in the physiology of energy it makes sense that it's going to affect loss in some indirect way.

What are your totals these days for potassium? Have you been tracking the numbers? I am now EASILY getting around 5 K a day. Just eating a sweet potato with 1/4 teaspoon of "No Salt", along with 8 ounces of Low Sodium V8 is usually enough to put me over the top, along with the rest of my clean diet.

Congratulations again on your weight loss! You are welcome to join the "5-15 Pound Club" now in the Men's forum!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
How awesome is that! And THANK YOU for the feedback! I've been "swearing" by this green tea for some time now. ALL the articles I've read say, as fact, that it helps with weight loss. The niacin is also a proven winner. I can't say that potassium 'aids' in weight loss, I haven't seen anything like that, but since it's such a key player in the physiology of energy it makes sense that it's going to affect loss in some indirect way.

What are your totals these days for potassium? Have you been tracking the numbers? I am now EASILY getting around 5 K a day. Just eating a sweet potato with 1/4 teaspoon of "No Salt", along with 8 ounces of Low Sodium V8 is usually enough to put me over the top, along with the rest of my clean diet.

Congratulations again on your weight loss! You are welcome to join the "5-15 Pound Club" now in the Men's forum!
Ha ha--I've still got over 20 to go, but it won't be long before I can join!

I can't say I really track my nutrients all that closely, I mostly pay attention to carbs/fat/protein rely on making "good" choices food-wise and taking my supplements. I know I tend to be high on sodium so I figure the potassium helps off-set that to some extent. I do have a banana most every day and four to eight prunes (I love them! Lots of fiber, too).

But yes, I'm hooked on green tea. I still have my coffee in the morning, but it's green tea from then on. Tastes good and seems to have helped kick up my daily burn.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.