Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
I just discovered roasted veggies! >

I just discovered roasted veggies!

Community
Notices

I just discovered roasted veggies!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
FitDay Member

Must be said that baking cauliflower and broccoli (no need to blanch first) is by far the best way - add a tiny bit of spray oil, a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese and season to taste - oh and a squeeze of lemon too. I would never eat either veg any other way!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Grilled veggies FTW!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

Mine too, I also love roasted peppers, however I do put a lot of olive oil on mine, my wife says this is unhealthy, but surely olive oil is good for you isn't it? If it was vegetable oil then maybe, am I right about this?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

How much is a lot? Too much of even "good for you foods" is still too much. I love the roasted garlic my favorite restaurant in Boston but the amount of olive oil they used was way too much for me. I asked them to use less and chef actually came out to see how I like it. I loved it, even better than the original way. He said he used about a 1/4 of what he usually does. Wow, Hate to think of how many fat grams I was eating!

I use about a tablespoon for every 2 pounds of veggies. Using a good oil spritzer or tossing the veggies around in a big ziplock bag covers everything evenly.

I also love grilled fruit!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

I take sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, red potatoes, etc., cut them into bite size chunks and toss them with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Then I throw them in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. I know it sounds like a lot of oil (and probably more sugar than most here tend to consume), but it covers a lot of veges. I always make enough so I have left overs for the next few days. I like to reheat them and throw them in omelets, as a side hash for breakfast- they are very versatile. The best thing is that I can make quite a few servings for only a few dollars as all the vegetables I use are pretty inexpensive.