FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Do you love Oatmeal? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5144-do-you-love-oatmeal.html)

sarahnevin 09-05-2011 07:38 AM

Do you love Oatmeal?

Hey everyone,
So I started eating oatmeal for breakfast again. I ate it for a year straight for breakfast and lunch, so it was ruined for me for awhile. But I'm back on the oatmeal bandwagon and I wanted to know if anyone else enjoys this delicious oat as much as I do?

I eat 1 cup (cooked) with a sprinkle of brown sugar, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and milk. Just under 300 calories.

I don't weigh myself, but I feel like when I eat oatmeal for breakfast it helps me lose a little weight. Does anyone else see a change in their weight when they eat oatmeal?

mecompco 09-05-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by sarahnevin (Post 55822)
Hey everyone,
So I started eating oatmeal for breakfast again. I ate it for a year straight for breakfast and lunch, so it was ruined for me for awhile. But I'm back on the oatmeal bandwagon and I wanted to know if anyone else enjoys this delicious oat as much as I do?

I eat 1 cup (cooked) with a sprinkle of brown sugar, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and milk. Just under 300 calories.

I don't weigh myself, but I feel like when I eat oatmeal for breakfast it helps me lose a little weight. Does anyone else see a change in their weight when they eat oatmeal?

My wife eats it often for breakfast. I prefer a high protein breakfast--eggs and some kind of meat. A high carb breakfast burns off way too fast for me. I know understand that oatmeal is a good choice for breakfast--enjoy!

Regards,
Michael

VitoVino 09-05-2011 07:56 AM

Yeah, oatmeal is pretty awesome. Although I opt for the high protein breakfast as well. Yogurt with soy nuts added. A friend of mine puts some oatmeal in with her yogurt. I've yet to try it, but she swears by it.

ripemango 09-05-2011 10:27 AM

love it

i have oatmeal for breakfast at least a couple times a week. I also like to make ahead of time baked oatmeal squares (baked with egg/egg whites, fruit, and some pecans) for a fast n healthy on the go breakfast or snack. they freeze well and you can just microwave them for 30 secs to reheat.

Many people associate oatmeal with being a weight loss food because it is a low glycemic food.

here's a nice little informative page about the glycemic index and how eating foods low on the glycemic scale contribute to keeping blood sugar levels stable and feeling full:

Steel Cut Oats and the Glycemic Index | Steel Cut Oats

Rubystars 09-07-2011 01:37 AM

Back when I was gaining weight I used to eat S'mores oatmeal by adding graham crackers, chocolate chips, and marshmallows to it. Another favorite add in was a mix of dried cranberries and mixed nuts.

These days I tend to either eat it plain and enjoy its natural nutty flavor or add a sweet and low packet to it. It's good that way too and filling.

micklyons 09-08-2011 08:20 AM

I have been eating oatmeal again, too. I rotate it with frosted mini wheats or if I am runnung late for work, a toasted english muffin with peanut butter. I put a little pancake syrup on, and make it with 2% milk, so its not perfect, but it is good!

RunbikeSki 09-08-2011 01:31 PM

Oatmeal is kind-of a treat for me. In general I too need a high protein meal first thing in the morning. And like Michael, it tends to burn off too fast to last the whole morning, but if I'm going to have an active morning with a hardy snack later in the morning it is great.

mommiepretty 09-09-2011 08:26 AM

Hi! I'm kinda new (been hanging out mostly on the 7-day thread in the women's section), but I love oatmeal...if it's not cooked. I generally dislike breakfast (always have), but I'm working on changing my paradigms around breakfast and time. One yummy, relatively quick breakfast I've started enjoying again is muesli, which I loved as a kid and just forgot about :o my favourite recipe is 1/4 cup raw old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts, 3 oz yogurt (~1/2 container), and 1 cup diced/sliced fresh fruit (I've also used thawed frozen berries in a pinch, but I really like a good crisp green apple for lots of crunch). Just mix everything together well, and enjoy! Makes a nice change from hot cereal in warm weather, especially with seasonal fruits—I'll even fix muesli for a mid-afternoon snack now :)

svmcgarry 09-12-2011 02:29 AM

Try adding your favorite protein powder to the oatmeal. I've had the chocolate before and it was ok, but this morning i just added banana protein powder along with raisins and it was absolutely delicious.

almeeker 09-12-2011 11:26 PM

I'm pretty much oatmeal intolerant, can't eat it without suffering serious GI issues.

KatD13 09-15-2011 01:12 PM

yuck

OMG, I hate it so much. Last year when I was trying, unsuccessfully, to lose weight, I ate it almost every day.

I put in a ton of cinnamon, some ginger, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 TBSB. of milk & 1 TBSP. of brown sugar.

Then a force myself to eat it & gag on almost every bite.

disgrace101 09-26-2011 06:08 PM

I really love oatmeal, infact this is my breakfast diet and it really helps for my digestion.

mtlgirl 09-26-2011 09:11 PM

Count me as one of oatmeal's biggest fans! I love it! I have it with a little scoop of unsweetened dried fruit and I boil it in half-part water, half-part pure apple juice, then sprinkle with cinnamon while it is cooking. It's delicious! No need for sugar with the apple juice.

rmdaly 09-27-2011 07:22 AM

I keep oatmeal in a big container in my desk and another container with raisins and eat it every day. One of my previous officemates thought that was so funny, he bought me a horse feed bag to go with my oatmeal.

On the weekends sometimes I like Irish Oatmeal and cook it with a chopped up apple and cinnamon then add dried cranberries, pecans and a little maple syrup or brown sugar when its done.

In Lafayette, Colorado they have an Oatmeal Festival every year and they put hundreds of toppings out including things like gummie bears and M&Ms.

vabeachgirlNYC 09-30-2011 03:08 PM

If it's in the form of an oatmeal cookie then heck yeah I love oatmeal! :D

jackdup 10-01-2011 12:59 AM

I recently found oat meal in it's natural state. (grain form)
I have to soak it for 24 hours to break through the husk.
I have always loved oatmeal, and about half of the time, I would eat it raw.
The most amazing part of oatmeal is it's abailable to suck up cholesterol.
Many years ago, at a gym that I belonged to, they tested my cholesterol, and it was only 119 because I ate two oat bran muffins daily.
The government of the U.S. allows them to put on the label that it lowers cholesterol, asnd the FDA is very strict about making claims such as these.
Oatmeal is a totally awesome food, as any whole grain food is.
I LOVE OATMEAL!

donitatravis101 10-02-2011 04:47 PM

Oatmeal lover

Just a plain oatmeal treat would make my breakfast great. With no added milk or honey cause I'm afraid to gain weight again. I used to be 150 lbs. and now I'm on my way to 120 lbs in just 5 weeks. Of course with exercise and fruit diet, and of course my fave oatmeal. Aside from a healthy diet it helps me to get rid of heart ailments. :)

mentalarithmetic 10-04-2011 05:55 PM

Hi,

Oatmeal is one of the best way of dieting.

Kay_in_PA 10-07-2011 11:07 AM

I also add protein powder to my oatmeal. I also add apple pie spices and chunky, unsweetened applesauce (although it is very difficult to find applesauce that is both chunky and unsweetened in the store, so a lot of times I make my own). Overall, it tastes like an apple crisp to me.

nacher 10-12-2011 02:12 AM

i love oatmeal - i eat it at least twice a week.