FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Check those blueberries (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5130-check-those-blueberries.html)

Rubystars 09-03-2011 04:15 PM

Check those blueberries

This might seem excessive to some people but I usually check every blueberry to see if it's rotten before I put it in the container I'm going to wash them with. I discard ones that looked damaged or moldy and remove stems from those who still have stems attached. This morning I looked at one and on the top of it I saw a little green caterpillar! I set that blueberry aside with the rotten ones on the table and kept checking other blueberries. In a few minutes, the caterpillar woke up and started moving around. lol So I took that blueberry with the caterpillar on it and threw it into my backyard. I don't know if it had any chance of survival away from its host plant like that but even if not that was a tough little caterpillar, it survived being refrigerated twice (once at the store once at home) lol.

Moral of the story though is I'm glad I check every blueberry.

snafuken 09-03-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rubystars (Post 55703)
This might seem excessive to some people but I usually check every blueberry to see if it's rotten before I put it in the container I'm going to wash them with. I discard ones that looked damaged or moldy and remove stems from those who still have stems attached. This morning I looked at one and on the top of it I saw a little green caterpillar! I set that blueberry aside with the rotten ones on the table and kept checking other blueberries. In a few minutes, the caterpillar woke up and started moving around. lol So I took that blueberry with the caterpillar on it and threw it into my backyard. I don't know if it had any chance of survival away from its host plant like that but even if not that was a tough little caterpillar, it survived being refrigerated twice (once at the store once at home) lol.

Moral of the story though is I'm glad I check every blueberry.

:eek: :eek:

VitoVino 09-04-2011 01:13 AM

LOL I not only got a good chuckle out of your story here, Rubystars, but it's also sound advice.

dear_abby 09-07-2011 04:49 AM

The best blueberry recipe I know "wash, eat, repeat".

Rubystars 09-07-2011 12:12 PM

Well other than fattening things like blueberry muffins or blueberry pancakes I don't know a lot of recipes for them. I usually put them fresh into a fruit salad.

I've read if you put them with milk they don't have the full antioxidant benefit, but I think eating them with cereal is still better than not eating them at all.

They would probably be good as an oatmeal topper.

almeeker 09-07-2011 12:43 PM

That little caterpillar was probably hatched on the end of a blueberry. I go to a U-Pik patch and in the blossom end of some of the blueberries is a tiny little piece of cacoon silk. I say eat those little caterpillars, get some extra protein, and maybe a little fiber from the silk! LOL.