Notices

Zesty Peas Recipe, packed with FIBER

Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Zesty Peas Recipe, high in FIBER, Magnesium

Here's something I concocted today and it came out amazingly good, filling, and nutritious. Many people don't like peas that much and this recipe is zesty enough to hide the taste of the peas pretty much. I wanted to make a recipe that has a lot of FIBER and this one does the trick. Three servings of this meal and you'll not only be filled up with under 500 Calories, you'll get over half of your daily suggested amount of fiber**.

THERE IS NO WAY TO SCREW UP THIS RECIPE! It comes out good no matter what.

Ingredients:

- 3 Tablespoons olive oil

- 1 large Vidallia Onion (sweet onion), diced, not too small, about 375 grams

- 1 14.5 oz. can Peeled Tomatoes, diced, Chili ready (in juice with chili seasoning), DelMonte brand. [NOTE: if you cannot find this you can just add about a teaspoon of chili powder to a can of diced tomatoes]

- 1 14.5 oz. can Peeled Tomatoes, diced, with Jalapeno peppers (in tomato juice), DelMonte brand.

[NOTE: if you cannot find the DelMonte with Jalapenos, or you want to customize the amount of Japapenos, you can add your own. I buy the sliced kind, then dice up about 8 of these]

- 2 cups frozen green peas

Over high heat, saute onion in the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan, until the onion just starts turning light brown.

Add peas and stir thoroughly.

Add the 2 cans of tomatoes (or one large 29 ounce can of diced tomatoes with the added chilli powder and peppers). The mixture should be a bit watery, so if it doesn't look soupy enough you should add about 10-14 ounces of extra water.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook covered for 5-6 minutes more. I think It's better when the peas are firm, so try not to overcook.

Makes about 6 cups.

I have carefully figured out the nutritional value for 1 Cup:

[EDIT] And now I've added the RDA's for nutrients for 1 Cup:

** From FitDay:

"Depending on your gender and age, you should try to consume 20-38 g of fiber per day. Men ages 50 and younger should try to eat 38 g of fiber per day, and men 51 years and older should shoot for 30 g per day. Women ages 50 and younger should aim for 25 g per day and women 51 years and older should consume 21 g of fiber per day. Most Americans are currently eating half of the recommended amounts of fiber each day."

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-23-2011 at 05:06 AM. Reason: whoa! I said "tablespoon" of Chili powder when it should be teaspoon
Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

I'm serious, this is a great tasting dish.
Really. I'm going to eat this every week for sure.
And it's inexpensive as well as being delicious.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
FitDay Member

Default oh, thank you

cannot wait to try this. We have a couple different kinds of pea this year, and just oodles of them. I am always in search of new ways to prepare them. I have cooked our peas in broth with SOME tomato thrown in. I am excited to try straight up tomato with some jalapeno heat. I will make this recipe this weekend.
Thank you so much for posting!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

You're very welcome, ripemango! Just make sure not to overcook. It's good when the peas are a bit firm.

And if you wanted to make do with less fat, you could probably get by with just 2 tablespoons of olive oil, but I prefer a little more for the "good fats".

Cheers!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Do you think this recipe would work without as much of the "zest"?

I don't handle spices too well, and jalapenos are way too hot for me (though I could add some chili powder and be able to eat it). I usually don't like peas but this actually sounds like something I might try to eat, stirred in with some grilled chicken, maybe! It sounds good! Thanks for sharing
Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Do you think this recipe would work without as much of the "zest"?

I don't handle spices too well, and jalapenos are way too hot for me (though I could add some chili powder and be able to eat it). I usually don't like peas but this actually sounds like something I might try to eat, stirred in with some grilled chicken, maybe! It sounds good! Thanks for sharing

Sure! The onion alone give it some zest. Instead of Jalapenos you can try just a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper if you want, or none at all. Or maybe just a few shakes of Tobasco sauce (just for the flavor). To me, the dish is not hot at all, but then again I'm used to hot foods. Definitely go with the chili powder, there's regular and there's hot, sounds like regular would be good for you.

Experiment! I doubt there's any way to screw up this dish, other than overcooking the peas.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

I have to admit... I hate peas!

But pea fiber is added to a lot of food for the fiber. I have a friend who uses peas instead of beans in chili.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I have to admit... I hate peas!

I don't know anyone who actually admits to liking peas. I don't. But the beauty of this recipe is that you don't taste them, hardly at all.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I don't know anyone who actually admits to liking peas. I don't. But the beauty of this recipe is that you don't taste them, hardly at all.
I love peas, and so do my kids! When they were teething I would give them frozen peas in a baggy or cup to chew on. We put them into all kinds of dishes in the kitchen, not to hide the flavor, but because the dishes taste better with peas. I'm not sure intentionally covering up the flavor of the peas would fly at my house.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

RDA's for nutrients are now added to the original post.

I discovered why I love this dish so much, and have it about 3-4 times a week. I love pasta with tomato sauce, but now it's best to steer clear of it. I was eating pasta 3-4 times a week, hence how the extra pounds were put on.

This recipe is a GREAT substitute for anyone who loves pasta, and it's an energizing meal besides being nutritious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.