Notices

Alternative to Carbs?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Mary, you may want to use stevia.

I have a sweet tooth too, and can't live without it, so I just use a zero calorie sweetner that has no chemicals either.

When I want sweet, I have it.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

Mary, just re read your post.

In your search for bread, the whole grain is one part of what you should look for but you want a bread that is low fat, and low calories as well.

You may have to go to a couple of places before you find it.

As for your tea, and coffee, and porridge, the sugar does not really have that many calories, but, I believe it triggers an insulin response which you will have to gogle to get the exact information on why you wouldn't want that as I would be unable to explain it.

I am having a coffee right now (2nd one), and I have a zero calorie stevia sweetner in it. I hate coffee without sweetner and milk.

Also from what I have been researching, you should keep the fats really low.

I recently found a cheese made with soy, so while there is 4.3 grams of fat in my cheese, it isn't coming from animals which makes it healthier, but still, too much of it will add to my spare tire.

By the way, how is it going so far?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mary, for me personally, I decided that the morning cup of tea was not something I was going to compromise on. I also try to avoid sweeteners, but I know that sugar's not great, either. I've switched over to using turbinado (raw) sugar, though. Whether it's better or not, who knows, but it is less processed. The way I look at it, some things are easier to change than others; don't deprive yourself of everything, because then you won't stick with it.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks again guys.

Progress so far is stupendous!! I've lost 9lbs as of this morning

But it's not even about the weight - I honestly feel like I've had a bolt of lightning hit me these past few weeks - it's like all of a sudden I 'get it'! I have done alot of work on my self-esteem over the years so I believe it's all come together at a time when my son is now old enough to help around the house, make his own breakfast etc. 9years of caring solely for him - now it's my turn (I won't neglect him tho..promise)

I don't think they sell any of the stuff you have both suggested in Ireland though - am I right about the artificial sweetners?? I don't want to deprive myself of anything either and would rather do without tea/coffee if I couldn't have milk and sugar in it.

I suppose if I went into a health food store and got a 'healthy' artificial sweetner it might be better than the store bought one??
Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta love your mindset, Mary!

The turbinado sugar is sometimes marketed as Sugar in the Raw; do you have that? A health food store or natural food market may have it if your grocery doesn't.

As for being right about the sweetener, no one really knows for sure. There is a ton of conflicting information, so maybe just try to read up on it, educate yourself, and make the best choice for you.

Agave syrup is another good option; it's natural, and does not hit your bloodstream with sugar the way refined sugar does. Calories are similar to sugar or honey.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I'm all for including carbs in your diet, but making them good quality ones. A baked potato, for example, doesn't have to be slathered with fat.. just add a very little bit of fat. A sandwich can be made with thinly sliced bread and very little mayo or butter (fats). And pumped up with tomato and lettuce and onion and any other raw veggies! It ends up being very filling. If you are somewhat addicted to the convenience of sandwiches, that would make them less caloric. When you look at the carbs number at the end of the day, pay MORE attention to the number of calories at the end of the day. Fitday gives you guidelines for the calories you need, given your weight and height, etc.

If you are determined to use sugar (not artificial sweetener), then just cut the sugar in half.

I, once upon a time, took cream and sugar in my coffee. Then just milk. Now, nothing in my coffee. Just black. It was a gradual progression. But it worked.

I also have a baked potato at a restaurant and use only one small pat of butter, no sour cream. I take home the other pats of butter they give me, and the sour cream (all in individual containers) and keep them in the fridge for my husband to use. I don't miss them.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

Great tips Kathy, and thanks

I am also all for eating the right carbs - I have changed my food intake so much and have started taking some Evening Primrose Oil for the old 'moods'. When I think of the fish oils and multi vitamins I ensure my little fella eats every day...and nothing for me!! No more though!

Thanks again guys..I'll keep an eye on the calories too.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by marypg40
That's great jackedup - thanks for that! And I'll defo buy wholegrain bread at the weekend.

White sugar would be another downfall of mine! I only drink one cup of tea in the morning and one cup of coffee in the afternoon, but love 2 spoons of sugar in both. I'd also have a teaspoon of sugar in my porridge in the mornings. I am reluctant to change that to sweetner as I've so much bad press about artificial sweetners - would brown sugar be a good alternative (or is that a silly question sorry!!)
You'll probably get mixed responses regarding sugar. cut back sugar or switch?
Switching to an artificial sweetener will probably help with weight loss, but also take into consideration the unknown effects on the body that artificial sweeteners may have. (Some are labeled as possible carcinogens)
I used to put a lot of sugar in my coffee too. I cut back 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon every couple of weeks until I was down to less than 1/2 teaspoon total in my coffee... it took a while for my taste to adjust, but I enjoy my morning coffee just fine now without all the sweetness.
You could look into the natural sugar substitutes that are out there - like stevia.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Beef jerky is thin strips (a ground & reformed) of beef (you can make venison, turkey, chicken, etc) and spiced with different recipes then dehydrated either in a dehydrator or in the oven. It gets almost tough and is usually pretty salty. It is delish! We make venison jerky several times a year here.
well i eat jerky a lot. And i also try to use it in my different recipes.