Notices

Looking for a food...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Looking for a food...

Hey folks, I'm looking for a food that frankly may not even exist, but I thought if anyone would know, if would be you guys. So, before I work out, I need to eat to keep my blood sugar up. I've been eating Pria bars (by Power Bar, I think) and they have 15 g of carbs, 5 g of protein, and 110 calories. However, I need to pretty much double the number of carbs while still keeping some protein involved, but I'd like to not go above 150 calories. Does such a food exist? Ideal would be 30 g of carbs, 10 g of protein, >150 calories, and portable.

Thanks!

Joanna
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

The only thing I can think of that would be close would be the Luna Protein bars...they have 12 g protein but only about 20 g carbs and about 180 calories.

Kashi GoLean bars have about 10 g protein, 32 g carbs, but are 200 calories.

I'd love it if someone knows of one that fits all your criteria.

You might could think about making your own, though all the recipes I've found have 200 calories or more .

FYI, a cup of Kashi GoLean cereal has 13 g protein, 10 g fiber, 30 g carbohydrates, and 140 calories. Sounds perfect for what you need, except it's not in a bar form. If I were going to try to make a bar, and I might, I'd probably try to incorporate that.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Oooh, yeah, that's a great idea, Cassie, thanks! I even eat that for breakfast and didn't think about it... so silly. The portable part would be convenient, but not necessary. I think maybe I can make something work with that!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, I found something pretty decent - it's Kashi Go Lean Crunchy! protein and fiber bars (perhaps different bar than you were looking at.) They have 28g of carbs, 8g of protein, and 150 calories. And of course, it's portable, so that's on bar with what I was looking for.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

There is a cool company called "Youbars" I've never used them, but a super complicated eater who was a personal trainer I worked with loves them - they custom make your bar, so design what you will, and buy a case. I can't personally testify, but pretty creative!

I have no interest in this company and am not selling!

You Bar - Custom Energy Bars, Custom Protein Bars, Trail Mix & Cereal

Abby