FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Snacks?? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/4659-snacks.html)

mdeleonibus3 07-07-2011 03:40 PM

Snacks??

Anyone know or has tried any snacks that have a higher amount of protein in them? I'm trying to steer clear of high carbs, but very difficult to accomplish that in snack form...As a teacher its hard to grab something quick with the healthy components that I am looking for...Any advice of any yummy snacks you have tried would be great! Thanks!!!

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 04:01 PM

Almonds, Greek yogurt, low fat cheese sticks, beef jerky, sliced turkey, and hard boiled eggs come to mind. There are tons of protein bars out there, too, but they tend to be pricey, have a ton of ingredients (some of which are questionable) and are pretty high in calories, though they do pack a protein punch and are very convenient.

mdeleonibus3 07-07-2011 04:48 PM

Thanks! I try to stay away from the protein bars due to the high fat and cal content..I wish I liked Almonds, cashews, any nut...but I don't :(

Totally forgot about hard boiling eggs. I bought Egg White mixture for my omelet today...so yummy and no cholesterol..which is awesome for me!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chobani yogurt...

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 04:49 PM

Peanut butter?

mdeleonibus3 07-07-2011 04:58 PM

Love it..would actually eat it off a spoon if I could..lol

I am now so aware of how fatty that is also..I am however back on portion control...so measuring it would allow me not to overload..
I'm a huge fan of celery and PB...yummy snack..

My Bachelors degree is in Physical Education, and I hate how I cannot use the background knowledge of all my health and nutrition classes because it has been a while lol Ughh. I mean you hear protein and automatically think..MEAT..which I am a huge fan, but should cut down on red meat especially and incorporate fish and chicken also...

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 05:06 PM

Peanut butter and other nut butters are my best friend (love them on celery). I can say in all honesty that one thing I did differently this time that I feel contributed to being able to finally lose the weight and keep it off, was to incorporate more healthy fats into my diet. I was always fat-phobic before, but the more research I did on monounsaturated fats, the more convinced I was that I needed to get them in, so PB it is! There is a brand called Naturally More that has even more protein than normal PB, and it's got other goodies like flaxseed in it as well.

I know some other folks will have some good ideas, but not too many are night owls to this extent. I'm just up doing a report on...a special education child ;). I'm sure folks will weigh in tomorrow.

ripemango 07-07-2011 06:02 PM

olives edamame avocado

olives...5 lil 1s are a great snack for me.

homemade granola or a brand that is healthy is good too. oats r so good 4 you and the 'right' kind of carbs. sunflower seeds, pecans and/or almonds are in there as well so u get protein.

edamame (immature soybeans). just boil in salted water. yum

avocado. w so much in season i'd toss some diced avocado w tomatoes, onions n cucumbers. make a quick cilantro vinaigrette (olive oil base) and u r good too good. i really like avocado w turkey or chicken as well. veg soup w diced avocado put in right before serving. very mexican thing to do w avocado n so delicious/nutritious it's worth a try....if ya like avocados.

Rubystars 07-07-2011 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by mdeleonibus3 (Post 50204)
Anyone know or has tried any snacks that have a higher amount of protein in them? I'm trying to steer clear of high carbs, but very difficult to accomplish that in snack form...As a teacher its hard to grab something quick with the healthy components that I am looking for...Any advice of any yummy snacks you have tried would be great! Thanks!!!

I like 1/4 cup of cashews, that has 160 calories I think. And I like Kroger Carb Master Yogurts, 60 calories per yogurt cup and they have some good flavors. A whole can of starkist tuna in water is 100 calories if you drain it and don't add anything to it and just eat it out of the can with a fork. Oscar Meyer fat free or even light weiners don't have a lot of calories and are high in protein. I'm sure I'll find some more stuff later but that's some of the high protein things I've tried.

boolz 07-08-2011 12:13 PM

I like lots that have been listed, so I'll just add goji berries.

almeeker 07-08-2011 12:52 PM

Beans are good, and "can" travel, also they are good later on for a laugh, toot toot. Envelopes of tuna are really good go to snacks here in this house. We also like a big fat bag of turkey jerky, and lets not forget the homemade granola with a healthy bit of TVP tossed in. Another snack that actually has a surprising amount of protein is a package of those orange crackers with the peanut butter or weird cheese spread on them. Personally I'm not a big fan, but DH and the kids love them and they have like 6-9 grams of protein/pack and only 180 calories.

Florida Ray 07-10-2011 05:08 AM

This is probably not a good idea for many, but a few salted peanuts seems to help me when I am hungry late at night. I know some people are allergic to peanuts and others will eat too many. But I just eat a small amount and drink some diet green tea or a diet soft drink and it stops my hunger for a while.

azazelsfyre 07-17-2011 12:27 AM

Buffalo jerky

wolfbane20 07-17-2011 03:31 AM

3oz can of tuna and celery or 3 whole grain crackers. Can of Kipper snacks. Fish may have more fat but it is the good fat and the high protein will keep you full longer

RunbikeSki 07-17-2011 01:25 PM

I'm a big jerky fan. Beef, turkey, ostrich, salmon... whatever. Also dairy, especially cheese. Those little laughing cow cheese triangles have 35 or 50 cals and are lovely w/o a cracker or bread. Also the baby bells are somewhere around 75 calories. I eat a lot of 1% cottage cheese. Often with dices veggies or sliced fruit.

After workouts I rely on muscle milk shakes. But good old chocolate milk is about as good. I never thought I would recommend "plastic food" like protein shakes, but they definitely have their place.

Another snack that is pretty available, but a little pricier is shrimp. We have lots of options here in Southern Calif. Cooked frozen or fresh. Raw frozen or thawed. Personally I'm a bit of snob and insist on wild caught - but that's me.

Kumochi 08-01-2011 12:41 AM

I use a whey protein shake when I need something to sustain me. I will make them up from the powder and take it to the office. 120 calories with water , more with 1% milk. Helps to make up for having to have a late meal and often I'll find I'm not really very hungry when I get time for dinner.