Notices

Junk food substitution challenge...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Junk food substitution challenge...

What do you eat that's "healthy" when you're craving really bad junk food? You know, the snacks that help keep you on the wagon. All tips and suggestions welcome.

The following recipe is for chip dip made with 0% fat Greek yogurt.

1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
2 ½ - 3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 Tablespoon dried parsley (or dill weed)
2 ½ teaspoons sugar (optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder

It makes a great veggie dip and is also fantastic spread on a whole grain tortilla or lettuce leaf and used to make a veggie roll-up. It's very very high in protein, so sometimes I send it in my daughter's lunch so she can dip her carrots. Getting a sandwich down that child is not easy.

When I'm craving chocolate I let myself have a "no sugar added" Kozy Shack chocolate pudding cup, which I sometimes freeze to make it more like ice cream.

My other indulgence is to take 50 calories worth of honey vanilla yogurt, spread 1/2 of it in the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle it with 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (any frozen berry could work), top it with the rest of the yogurt and sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup more blueberries. I usually let it sit for a few minutes so that the berries freeze the yogurt. I call it a frozen blueberry parfait. I've been debating making gelatto with blueberry puree, but so far I just go for the one serving parfait.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-17-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Baked french fries-theres alot of variations, but mine I spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, lay out julienne potatoes, and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 mins, turning once. You can do any hard veggie like carrots or sweet potato. I like garlic powder and seasoned pepper, but dill, oregano, basil would work too. Can cut circles instead of julienne for a different look/feel, play around with it. I leave the peels on to save the vitamins.

Fake fried chicken-take boneless skinless chicken breast, all visible fat trimmed. Dip in flour, then milk, then crushed seasoned corn flakes. This makes a very nice thick crispy coating, keeps the chicken really moist. I add basil, seasoned pepper, garlic and onion powder, and a little cayenne pepper. Bake on a cookie sheet sprayed w/ non stick cooking spray, I do 350for 45 mins, get it started while I prepare the potatoes.

It's easy to make chicken strips or nuggets for the kids this way too. In the summer I finish this off with fresh corn on the cob and watermelon for dessert. In winter it's usually green beans and a popsicle. The cornflake coating is also excellent on pork chops. Considering trying this on a lean piece of beef, see if I can make a fake fried steak....

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 03-17-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default My Indulgences

Last night I found a new one - Sugar free jello, mixed with half a serving of light n fit vanilla yogurt - the whole box with half a serving of yogurt is less than 50 cals. You could layer it in a tall glass and add a little fresh fruit to really indulge still under 100 cals.

veggies with hummus - two tablespoons is about 50 cals, and it goes great with cucumber slices, baby carrots, celery, and radish slices. All the crunching is very satisfying, and the bean based hummus wont spike your blood sugar.

mexican pizza supreme - one 6" corn tortilla, 1/2 ounce fat free cheese, cilantro, fresh jalapenos, slice of tomato chopped, sm tomatillo chopped, little bit of chopped onion, some finely shredded lettuce, and a teaspoon of fat free sour cream - toast the tortilla on both sides, melting the cheese on the last turn, then stack it high, drizzling the sour cream over the top. I like to cut it like a pizza and eat the slices - about 120 calories. For a faster prep, use salsa instead of the chopped veggies.

If i crave chocolate, I make a smoothie with light n fit yogurt, a couple of frozen strawberries, half a frozen banana, a little almond milk, some cocoa powder and a bit of splenda. About 150 calories and delish!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Faux pizzas...

take a couple of large portobella mushroom caps and brush with a little olive oil. Bake in the oven till they are soft looking...take out of oven and cool off. Spread a little pizza sauce on top of caps and then add whatever pizza toppings you like...green olives, onion, ff mozerealla cheese...whatever. Put back in the oven and cook till the cheese is melted.
mmmm these are soo good

An oldie but still goodie is to buy those old fashioned make your own popsicle makers and fill them with some low calorie juice...or crystal light,,,or smoothie mixture..whatever you crave..and freeze!!! yummmm not just for kids.

Last edited by pattialbert; 03-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pita chips

I take whole wheat pitas, cut them into strips or triangles, mist with olive oil, then season with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano; bake at 350 till brown. A lot less fat than store-bought ones, and you can put whatever spices you like on them. They are great with hummus or other dips and a lot more substantial and satisfying than potato chips or corn chips.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

If I want something sweet I have a Jello 10cal snack pak with a little low cal Cool Whip.

Also Swiss Miss diet cocoa is only 25 calories for something chocolatey.

Another good one is from the South Beach book: take 1/2 cup ricotta cheese and add a packet of sweetener and either a teaspoon vanilla for a cheescakey flavor, or a couple of tablespoons unsweetened cocoa for chocolate flavor. I like the vanilla one as a dip for strawberries.