Notices

What's driving your weight gain?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default What's driving your weight gain?

Snacking according to this piece:

Snacking Drives Overeating In U.S., Not Portion Sizes

An interesting read and definitely consistent w/my experience.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Very interesting, Pam, thanks for the link.

IMO, I don't think it can be narrowed down to any one thing. Rather, I feel like we have the "perfect storm" that is comprised of snacking, big portion sizes, easy accessibility of unhealthy foods, a rushed culture of people on the run...the list goes on. It's a cultural thing now and people are adapting, and not in a positive way. Yesterday I had to take my son for a CT scan at the imaging center. Since the time I'd been there for my mammo in October, they've installed new chairs in the waiting room...bigger, the size of two chairs put together...for their overweight patients. It was sobering.

Just yesterday I saw a Taco Bell (I think) commercial for an XXL burrito. They were emphasizing how huge it was (comparing it to a baby, could feed more than one person, etc.). That was the whole selling point!! Not taste, not quality, not nutrition (), just...here, here's this huge amount of fast food, just for you. Like that was a good thing.

Stay informed, be aware, make your choices with your eyes open. If you want to snack, snack, but know what it does and doesn't do for you. If you want the XXL burrito, have it, but know what you're having.

Now I've hijacked your thread...sorry!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I totally agree, no single thing can be singled out as the culprit. But certainly the constant availabilty of food everywhere you go is a major contributor.

Those commercial tauting extra large whatever are obscene IMO.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Last time I lost a lot of weight snacking was part of the diet. This time I only snack if I feel the need between meals and it seems to work better. I agree all of the factors are making us fat, plus the fact that we are encouraged to be sedentary, passive participants in tv, video games and computer work. Convincing myself I'm an active person is part of the struggle. If I get back into couch potato mode I'll regain what I have lost. Mary
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

I totally agree that it's not more than one thing - but mindless snacking is absolutely prevalent. I've become a lot more "food conscious" in the past 6 months I think, and I've noticed that any time I go somewhere, or sit down, BAM, there is a tray of food.

I went home for a vacation and was scheduled to be at an aunt's house for literally half an hour (as were most people, we were waiting for a bus) and there was a veritable shmorgishborg of food laid out just for that waiting period -- crackers, chips, veggie trays, meatballs, cheeses of all varieties, you name it. I personally say that...sure, there should have been a little food available and certainly water to drink, but ALL THAT FOOD?! It ended up going to waste, as no one was really hungry. It was 10:30 in the morning.

I also saw other folks in their home sitting to watch the news. Having JUST eaten dinner -- and there has to be food of some sort. Popcorn, chips, cheese trays, just in case they get wandering fingers (and, of course, they do - eating when full). You ask if they're hungry, and they shrug, say "not really" and pop another chip in. It's crazy.

I've been trying to be mindful about food, because I think the heart of the issue is that there's very little thought, in general, about what's going into our mouths (whether it's snacking or portion size or nutritional content). Mindless convenience is trumping all, because our lives are SO busy nowadays -- kids have to be in 20 clubs and sports, you have a job and ANOTHER job on the side to make ends meet, there's a culture of everything-right-now prevalent in society today -- that things like food and nutrition have fallen to the wayside in favor of the almighty buck. It's sad When I speak to my grandparents, it seems like it was a lot different not too long ago....