Notices

Adding Fiber

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have problems getting fiber in my diet; I'm always high on that and am pretty aware as to how much is in different foods; I was just looking to find a way to make those homemade granola bars not such a waste of calories, and I figured that by adding fiber, that would be a good start. Mike, NM PB is a good idea for those...lentils, not so much !
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

What about crushing up some fiber one cereal or fiber powder for the bars?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
What about crushing up some fiber one cereal or fiber powder for the bars?
I could look into powder, but I try to avoid Fiber One because of the artificial sweetener in it, but I am going to try the Kashi stuff. Thanks for the tip...and while you're at it, do you still have the recipe for those protein balls you did a while back? Weren't they chocolate and PB?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'll see if I can find the YouTube video.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Healthy Protein Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (DELICIOUS RECIPE!) - YouTube

he has a ton of cool recipes, check them out.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I will, as soon as I get some time...thank you!

Maybe I should just scrap Christmas cookies and make holiday protein bars of varying kinds, lol!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Not fond of using All Bran because of the HFCS in it. Kashi Go Lean has a ton of fiber so I may try something with that in it. I just did a batch of the usual but once they're gone, maybe I'll experiment.

You may want to check out "High Fiber" bars from Wallyworld, they are knockoffs of Fiber1 bars. The Oats & Peanut Butter that I eat have 9 grams of fiber per 150 calories, with 8 grams of sugars. Unfortunately, like most products today, it uses corn syrup.

I just checked the Kashi "GOLEAN Crunchy! Bars Chocolate Peanut" and it's 6 grams of fiber per 180 calories, with 13 grams sugars. Also, although it doesn't use syrup, it contains crystalline fructose.

Check this out about crystalline fructose:

what is crystalline fructose | The Golden Spiral

Here is another reason to avoid crystalline fructose…. arsenic. Yes. The processing of this molecule allows for acceptable levels of arsenic, heavy metals, lead and chloride...

...This is just another example of how the food industry and the corn industry have managed to get a toxic substance into the food you eat. As people get away from HFCS, there is something to easily replace it. And as people become more aware of CF, there will be another substitution.
I question Kashi's advertising on their website because of the crystalline fructose, which is not anymore 'natural" than the HFCS in Fiber1 bars:

We put lots of tasty ingredients in our bars, like sweet fruits, rich dark chocolate, and crunchy nuts. Plus, you get real nutrition, nothing artificial, and a feel-good snack.
I've "picked my poison" and I'm sticking with the Fiber1 bars right now. I only eat a few a week. But I'm looking to make my own fiber bars in the near future...