Notices

electrolytes

Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default electrolytes

Not sure if this is the proper place to post.. but. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing electrolytes? preferably calorie- free. I know gatorade is an option but have you seen the calories???? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked to see if the same electrolytes are in G2 or Powerade Zero?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Actually gatorade and most of the other sports drinks, have a very small amount of electrolyes (check the back - 2 or 3% or daily). Coconut water is all the rage for Potassium these days. It is relatively now in calories, unless you get one of the amped up flavored varieties, but loaded with potassium.

Whole fruit is probably your best bet overall for a balanced electrolye profile.

I am one of those rare people who have trouble getting enough sodium when I am training for long races, so I actually injest regular table salt. On runs longer than 10 miles in the summer I take along those little packets they give you for take out. They are about 750mg (.75 g) and will relieve electrolyte-induced foot and let cramps in seconds.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

You might try Pedialite.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Thankf for the suggestions!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

I watched a show once about a runner that was doing marathons 2-3 times/week, he was running for some sort of cause (I can't remember what). Anyway, he was having serious electrolyte issues and his trainer had him eating plain white rice with sea salt and washing it down with Pedialite, and he perked right up after that. My cousin uses it before, during and after marathons, especially if it's hot and humid.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Why are you trying to get more electrolytes?

Electrolytes are mostly salt with minor added stuff so if you can find a way to get more sodium you will replace electolytes. The Power brand gels seem to have more sodium than other gel brands and Clif makes a Margarita blok with extra sodium.

A running or triathlon store will sell electrolyte tablets that you can use instead of gatorade or any of the high-calorie drinks. A couple of brands are Nuun and Thermalyte. Be sure to drink plenty of water with these. A running store might be able to give you more options as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Pedialite is a good choice (Wal-Mart or Target brand is cheaper).

You can also use lite salt, which is 1/2 sodium, 1/2 potassium and Natural Calm for magnesium, which also comes with calcium if desired.
I love the Natural Calm (by Natural Vitality). Keeps you regular, too!
Actually, you could make your own electrolyte drink with these.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Can you clarify 'electrolytes'? I thought that meant sodium and potassium. When I google it, I get 'The electrolytes include sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium and phosphate.'

I guess you get these in various foods in your diet. Maybe you are referring to the sports drinks that say they replenish electrolytes. Each drink has differing amounts, I guess, and I'm sure they aren't calorie-free. But if you are getting these things in your diet, do you need them from a drink?

Coincidentally, I was reading an issue of Men's Health recently. There was a short article there about the daily requirement for potassium. The simple baked potato wins the competition for containing that mineral, hands down. Next on the list was boiled spinach. I was so impressed by the list that I bought some potatoes to bake and some spinach to boil when I was at the grocery store, today!

The calories in a very calorie-laden potato come from fat that you add to it. So I'm going to try seasoning just with spices and Butter Buds (or Molly McButter).
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

1 cup coconut water:
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut water (liquid from coconuts)

1 small baked potato, with salt, skin and flesh:
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, baked, flesh and skin, with salt

1 cup boiled spinach, drained, with salt:
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Spinach, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt

Nutritiondata is a an awesome website!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.