FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Sugars same as alcohols? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/4111-sugars-same-alcohols.html)

donnastpeter 04-24-2011 07:17 AM

Sugars same as alcohols?

I'm relatively new to Fit Day and find the site easy to use. However, when filling in the nutrition chart for custom foods, I'm not quite sure what the term "alcohol" is referring to. I'm thinking that it may mean sugar alcohol in carbohydrates. Is this correct?:confused:

Kathy13118 04-24-2011 07:55 AM

I don't think there is even nutritional information for alcohol on most foods, and many, many foods contain sugar. I never noticed the alcohol in the custom foods, but if you were making a rum cake, there would be alcohol from the rum and you would put in how many grams.

I only see 'alcohol' show up in my pie chart on the days when I have a glass of wine, for example. If I have something with a lot of sugar on a certain day, there is never any alcohol showing up in my pie chart.

Wife2Mom 10-12-2011 06:04 AM

Sugars same as alcohols?

I am confused about sugar listed on labels under carbs. I also see alcohol listed in the same area. Are they the same thing?

wildbeanerz 10-12-2011 06:09 AM

No, Currently they don't track sugar in fitday just carbs. And alcohol is just...alcohol. :D

Welcome to the forums BTW!! :)

handcycle2005 10-12-2011 06:10 AM

Sugar alcohols(like sorbitol) are somewhat similar but sugar alcohols are lower in calories(2.6 per gram) and are not fully absorbed in the gut.
Alcohol in drinks are 7 calories per gram. You can calculate alcohol consumed here.

mtjls 11-08-2011 11:59 PM

Counting our sugar usage

I'm new here and wondered why sugar is not listed in the nutrition facts of the foods. Sugar, at least to me is more important than fats. And since most low fat and fat free are replaced with sugar I would love to see it listed so by the end of they day I see how many grams I used.

VitoVino 11-09-2011 01:47 AM

Hi, and welcome to FitDay.

This question comes up quite often. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll point you in the direction that will be helpful. Best wishes.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...ar-intake.html

cjohnson728 11-09-2011 06:09 AM

While enlightening, the above discussion doesn't really indicate whether or not sugar will be added as something to track. If this is a concern for you, I would suggest posting it down in a thread in the bottom category in the list, under FitDay Beta; I am certain that the technical folks working on changes to the site read that much more frequently than they do the threads in the nutrition area. Many folks share your concern, but I don't know if it's a planned addition or not. The tech folks should be able to tell you.

mtjls 11-09-2011 07:00 AM

Thanks I will give that a try..

VitoVino 11-09-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 61838)
While enlightening, the above discussion doesn't really indicate whether or not sugar will be added as something to track.

I think you overlooked something from that thread:

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 51004)
We are working at being able to track sugar. Yes, it's taking longer than it should but I'm being told that it's being addressed.

LMB2011 11-10-2011 12:13 PM

I was told from a diatition that carbohydrates are your total amount of sugars in the procduct, where as sugar is just the amount of the pure sugar. Kind of like Total Fat grams, and Calories from Fat.

songbirdy77 11-11-2011 12:13 AM

No spot for sugars in Nutrition Facts

Hello Everyone....My name is Laurie and I am new to this...when I am creating my custom foods from the nutrition facts that I am transfering onto the log from my food item, that there is no spot for sugar grams ??....I see one for alcohol...is this where the sugars go?....how can I get an accurate daily nutritional report if I dont include these figures...can anyone help me answer this question??...thanks in advance..

leskats 11-21-2011 08:34 PM

I'm also mystified by this... Sugar is an extremely significant nutritional marker, and tracking its percentage of daily calories especially seems important in this sugar-charged world... If there really isn't a proper allocated space for it, I'm almost tempted to go ahead and use the "alcohol" space for it since its a pie chart possibility. I can't imagine that more people find the daily alcohol constituent of their diet more significant on an everyday basis than sugar!

mecompco 11-21-2011 08:44 PM

Hi guys. This topic is discussed frequently--on FitDay, alcohol is alcohol, there is no facility for "sugar" as from what I understand sugar is basically the same as carbs. If you use alcohol for sugar, I think it will skew your nutrient reports incorrectly.

Regards,
Michael

leskats 11-21-2011 09:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification! On that note, would it be correct to add the grams of sugar from the nutritional information label to the carbs field on fitday?

Kohsamui 11-22-2011 02:12 AM

I don't think so since I think sugar is already included in the total carb number... There surely is a lot of sugar in our foods, but if you shoot for healthy choices and try to limit total carb intake, sugar content might be less significant. Maybe there's a separate slot for alcohol since it converts to a carb and is used by our bodies differently? But I'm still new to this, too...
Pete

donnamacd 12-03-2011 03:38 AM

I really wish that one of the "powers-that-be" from FitDay would officially answer this. Or, better yet, insert a slot. Being diabetic, I try to track my sugars closely.

volleyballgranny 12-05-2011 05:07 AM

Sugar is included in the carb count on a nutrition label...

...then the carb count is broken down into sugar, fiber, and sugar alcohols on a nutrition label. If you are concerned about sugar, take your total carbs and subtract the fiber--this will usually be your sugar. It's not perfect, but it might help you.

I count carbs, not calories, but I do NOT need to know how much sugar something has in it--if it has added sugar, I don't eat it. I would like to know how much sugar alcohol something has--sugar alcohols do not affect your glucose levels and I can eat those. Since net carbs are total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohol, I enter the sugar alcohol in the alcohol part of the label.

At the end of the day, I subtract fiber and alcohol from my total carbs to find my net carbs. I only drink alcohol once or twice a year, so this works for me.

achiever72 12-09-2011 08:02 AM

Agree

That is the very first thing I noticed on the custom foods (first day on the site today). I want to track my sugars because of my personal health concerns not related to diabetes. How about it owners/project managers/people who make decisions?

etempest 12-16-2011 05:24 AM

Fitday Tracking of Alcohol

The alcohol category in Fitday journal / software.
Is this alcohol (liquor) or sugar alcohol?

VitoVino 12-16-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by etempest (Post 65155)
The alcohol category in Fitday journal / software.
Is this alcohol (liquor) or sugar alcohol?

Alcohol (liquor). No category for sugars at this time.

mtpool 12-27-2011 08:17 AM

Counting sugar

IS there any way to keep track of your sugar intake on this site?

VitoVino 12-27-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mtpool (Post 66085)
IS there any way to keep track of your sugar intake on this site?

Please do a search before asking for assistance http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...g-request.html

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 51004)
We are working at being able to track sugar... Yes, it's taking longer than it should but I'm being told that it's being addressed... If you absolutely feel that you can't eliminate it and MUST track it, write it down, put it in a journal, whatever... until we can track it.

pdonathan1 02-01-2012 07:38 AM

Creating Foods

When creating a food for the food journal, do you put sugar(s) into the alcohol slot?