Notices

Sugars same as alcohols?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

I was told from a diatition that carbohydrates are your total amount of sugars in the procduct, where as sugar is just the amount of the pure sugar. Kind of like Total Fat grams, and Calories from Fat.

Last edited by LMB2011; 11-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default No spot for sugars in Nutrition Facts

Hello Everyone....My name is Laurie and I am new to this...when I am creating my custom foods from the nutrition facts that I am transfering onto the log from my food item, that there is no spot for sugar grams ??....I see one for alcohol...is this where the sugars go?....how can I get an accurate daily nutritional report if I dont include these figures...can anyone help me answer this question??...thanks in advance..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM
FitDay Member

I'm also mystified by this... Sugar is an extremely significant nutritional marker, and tracking its percentage of daily calories especially seems important in this sugar-charged world... If there really isn't a proper allocated space for it, I'm almost tempted to go ahead and use the "alcohol" space for it since its a pie chart possibility. I can't imagine that more people find the daily alcohol constituent of their diet more significant on an everyday basis than sugar!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi guys. This topic is discussed frequently--on FitDay, alcohol is alcohol, there is no facility for "sugar" as from what I understand sugar is basically the same as carbs. If you use alcohol for sugar, I think it will skew your nutrient reports incorrectly.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the clarification! On that note, would it be correct to add the grams of sugar from the nutritional information label to the carbs field on fitday?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think so since I think sugar is already included in the total carb number... There surely is a lot of sugar in our foods, but if you shoot for healthy choices and try to limit total carb intake, sugar content might be less significant. Maybe there's a separate slot for alcohol since it converts to a carb and is used by our bodies differently? But I'm still new to this, too...
Pete
Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

I really wish that one of the "powers-that-be" from FitDay would officially answer this. Or, better yet, insert a slot. Being diabetic, I try to track my sugars closely.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sugar is included in the carb count on a nutrition label...

...then the carb count is broken down into sugar, fiber, and sugar alcohols on a nutrition label. If you are concerned about sugar, take your total carbs and subtract the fiber--this will usually be your sugar. It's not perfect, but it might help you.

I count carbs, not calories, but I do NOT need to know how much sugar something has in it--if it has added sugar, I don't eat it. I would like to know how much sugar alcohol something has--sugar alcohols do not affect your glucose levels and I can eat those. Since net carbs are total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohol, I enter the sugar alcohol in the alcohol part of the label.

At the end of the day, I subtract fiber and alcohol from my total carbs to find my net carbs. I only drink alcohol once or twice a year, so this works for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Agree

That is the very first thing I noticed on the custom foods (first day on the site today). I want to track my sugars because of my personal health concerns not related to diabetes. How about it owners/project managers/people who make decisions?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fitday Tracking of Alcohol

The alcohol category in Fitday journal / software.
Is this alcohol (liquor) or sugar alcohol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.