Notices

Ketosis, how much protein?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ketosis, how much protein?

Hi,
I am new to this site, but find it very useful.
Can anyone tell me how much protein I can eat while going into ketosis, I am averaging 20 grms of carbs and 100 grms protein
with approx 30 grms of fat
Any ideas would be helpful
thanx
Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default curious

Who told you this was healthy?

Ketosis is a state that's pretty hard on your body to maintain.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

Serring - can you post some more info? current height/weight/activity level? You want to up both the protein levels as well as fat - you seem really low on calories. That low amount of carbs without adequate protein/fat is not good.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

Essentially, you really can't overdo it on protein if you're low-carbing to bring on constant ketosis. It's just really hard for most people to get "too much" protein in any way of eating.

(The comment about keto being unhealthy is an opinion, try to ignore it. The truth is that everyone goes into ketosis - not keto-acidosis - about every night. It's just a state of burning fat as energy.)

In most diets in which ketosis is the goal, fat & protein are your friends - they help the metabolic engine to stay going. Are you following a specific plan that's restrictive of fat, protein AND carbs, or making it up as you go?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by serring
Hi,
I am new to this site, but find it very useful.
Can anyone tell me how much protein I can eat while going into ketosis, I am averaging 20 grms of carbs and 100 grms protein
with approx 30 grms of fat
Any ideas would be helpful
thanx
IMO you are too high in protein and too low in fat. Shoot for about 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of lean muscle mass, carbs at 20g or less is ok and make the rest up in fat. I like about 60%-80% fat, but it varies. Remember excess protein just gets turned into body fat almost as easily as excess carbs do. Use fitday to work it out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being in ketosis, I have been for years, I eat zero carbs and the even energy delivery is fantastic, no ups and downs and running out of energy like when burning carbohydrates.. Workouts are great too as I always workout in the fasted state. Give it a try but expect 6 to 8 weeks to become fully keto adapted.

Last edited by Alanrlow; 02-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by flanaganshan
It's just really hard for most people to get "too much" protein in any way of eating.

(The comment about keto being unhealthy is an opinion, try to ignore it. The truth is that everyone goes into ketosis - not keto-acidosis - about every night. It's just a state of burning fat as energy.)
Thanks, but I did say it's hard on a body to MAINTAIN that state. Your body will consume lean body mass- including organ tissue- when ketosis is sustained over time without adequate calories and carbs (as serring had described.) That doesn't sound healthy to me. Yup, that's my opinon.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
FitDay Member

That's why you need to do it correctly. Read RFL by Lyle McDonald.

Ken
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Alanrlow
IMO you are too high in protein and too low in fat. Shoot for about 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of lean muscle mass, carbs at 20g or less is ok and make the rest up in fat. I like about 60%-80% fat, but it varies. Remember excess protein just gets turned into body fat almost as easily as excess carbs do. Use fitday to work it out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being in ketosis, I have been for years, I eat zero carbs and the even energy delivery is fantastic, no ups and downs and running out of energy like when burning carbohydrates.. Workouts are great too as I always workout in the fasted state. Give it a try but expect 6 to 8 weeks to become fully keto adapted.
This is exactly right! Ketogenic is a high fat, mod protein minimal carb diet. Excess protein will throw you out of ketosis.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default My PRESCRIBED Diet

I see my doctor weekly ( every Thursday) and here is what I do:

120-150g protein
20 grams VEGETABLE based carbs - no starchy carbs like squash or peas either
4 small servings of fats - like 1 tablespoon of feta is 1 fat serving.

I am making great progress. Listen to medical professionals before undergoing anything like this. I also take about 15 different vitamins and supplements to help my body stay strong and healthy.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default can someone

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
I see my doctor weekly ( every Thursday) and here is what I do:

120-150g protein
20 grams VEGETABLE based carbs - no starchy carbs like squash or peas either
4 small servings of fats - like 1 tablespoon of feta is 1 fat serving.

I am making great progress. Listen to medical professionals before undergoing anything like this. I also take about 15 different vitamins and supplements to help my body stay strong and healthy.

hammm.. can anyone explain to me- why you would want to bring on ketosis?

I have dieabites and all i can think about when i hear that word is hospitals...

Last edited by Kitty_wolf85; 04-07-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.